Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

mass effect 2

Started by RickyGerbail, January 23, 2012, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyGerbail

they could at least try to make a little bit of hardness for people who can play games.

madhair60

Play on a harder setting.

I found Mass Effect 1 hard when I got to the Citadel and I was like FUCK THIS BORING BOLLOCKS and put it off, forever.  Worst £4.99 I ever spent.

RickyGerbail

i played on veteran and i didn't die once. higher difficulties just pack on more hp and shit on the enemies. mass effect 1 on veteran was a nice level for me.

RickyGerbail

also why didn't you lower the difficulty setting?

madhair60

because there wasn't a slider for

Generic ------------------ Interesting

RickyGerbail

ok i thought you meant that you had trouble with combat or something.

Dark Sky

I'm trying to play Mass Effect 1 at the moment but I don't really get it.  This game is supposed to be amazing but it's not grabbing me.  Grumble.

RickyGerbail

it's not a great rpg like baldurs gate 2 but it gets going a bit more plot wise after you've been running around the citadel for a while.

Dark Sky

I'll devote some more time to it and see what happens.  At some point I should probably read the manual as well so I know how to work the bloody thing.

mikeyg27

The first one also suffers a bit from Deus Ex syndrome - your shooting ability seems to have been made deliberately shit at the start so you have something to level up into. I loved it but I can easily see why someone would hate it.

I've just started ME2 in an attempt to finish it by ME3's launch. The combat is much improved, but I'm not sure how I feel about all the streamlining of the menu (I certainly don't like the new blocking of character upgrades).

Benevolent Despot

Whilst playing the first game a flatmate of mine went into my game and into the inventory while I was out, and changed all my guns and enhancements around. He must have been frustrated at me not playing the game properly. I felt like such a dummy when he told me.

But yeah, Mass Effect 1's combat is frustratingly shit. If they put 2's combat system and stripped down menus into the first game it would have been one of my top ever games. I mostly hated 2's story so that also cannot go into my top ever games category.

Seriously though, storywise, I really think Bioware lost their nerve with the
Spoiler alert
Shephard dies and is reanimated to be put into an exact replica (though oversized) Normandy to pretty much repeat the first game's action.
[close]
It just stank of lazy shit. It was really implausible in my mind.
Spoiler alert
Also the giant human Reaper was shit.
[close]

RickyGerbail

bioware has been in decline since they made baldurs gate 2. now they put out shit like dragon age 1 and especially 2 and that, from what i've heard, godawful mmo.

Mister Six

Quote from: RickyGerbail on February 01, 2012, 07:51:21 PM
bioware has been in decline since they made baldurs gate 2. now they put out shit like dragon age 1 and especially 2 and that, from what i've heard, godawful mmo.

Horses for courses, but I found Baldur's Gate 1 (never played 2) to be incredibly shallow and poorly written, while Dragon Age: Origins had me enthralled, and featured probably the best-realised characters I've ever seen in a video game. DA2 was a bit of a letdown, but mostly because it felt rushed - copy/pasted dungeons ahoy! - rather than because of the writing or combat.

Dark Sky

I keep playing tiny ten minute chunks of Mass Effect 1.  I almost gave up when I read that there was no way Shepherd and Kaidan would get it on, but then I read that they will be able to in Mass Effect 3, so I'm determined to keep playing purely because of that.  Which is probably the most ridiculous reason to keep playing a computer game.  Or maybe it's normal.  Maybe what drives all of mankind's feats of endurance is the knowledge that the hardships will ultimately it'll be worth it, because in the second sequel you might be able to see two quite attractive computer generated men kiss.

RickyGerbail

i think baldurs gate 1 and 2 (especially bg 2) are  completely superior as games. the writing isn't anything special but then character development and story wasn't the main draw for these either way, it's the dangers, the size and richness of the world, the beautiful and unsurpassed 2d graphics and the variation in encounter and level design (yes it's possible to die in this game, it doesn't become a repetative slog with too much level scaling like dragon age and the decisions you make when leveling ,choosing companions and buying items can make it impossible to finish the game). the writing in dragon age is imo on the level of an episode of xena:warrior princess, a teenagers power fantasy that takes itself way too seriously.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Dark Sky on February 02, 2012, 08:53:39 AM
I keep playing tiny ten minute chunks of Mass Effect 1.  I almost gave up when I read that there was no way Shepherd and Kaidan would get it on, but then I read that they will be able to in Mass Effect 3, so I'm determined to keep playing purely because of that.  Which is probably the most ridiculous reason to keep playing a computer game.  Or maybe it's normal.  Maybe what drives all of mankind's feats of endurance is the knowledge that the hardships will ultimately it'll be worth it, because in the second sequel you might be able to see two quite attractive computer generated men kiss.
If you pick the girl then in the second one you can bang a cool space dinosaur!

Dark Sky

Eurgh, that sounds a bit too warped for me.  The girl part, I mean.

falafel

Quote from: Dark Sky on February 02, 2012, 08:53:39 AM

This, as I have said before, was genuinely an issue for me.

Sometimes I disappoint myself.

Dark Sky

What was an issue for you?  That gay relationships weren't possible in Mass Effect 1 and 2, or that they will be possible in 3?

RickyGerbail

i guess one of the biggest flaws with baldurs gate 2 is that you can't have sex with an alien, but luckily gaming has evolved a lot since then.

Thursday

Dragon Age 2 actually does the relationships quite well, since characters will approve or disapprove of you depending on your dialogue choices. It also puts some thought into how each character will respond in various situations and you're often torn between saying what you think and saying something that will make another character like you. And you'll often not want to bring certain characters along on certain quests because they'll get pissed off at what you're doing.

Plus all the characters are bi-sexual, so you might as well just flirt with everyone and see who comes to you first. (It'll probably be Isabela, but that'll just be a fling and you can continue trying for something more serious with someone else)