Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies without romance

Started by yesitis, January 25, 2012, 12:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.A

Winter's Bone.

Too much crap going on in her life to worry about romance. Amazing movie, one of the best of the last decade IMO.

yesitis

thanks for the responses people (aside from those by cunts who think they're funny). i've seen the majority of them and unfortunately a lot of them are right now intrinsically connected with memories of this relationship. i shouldn't have been so keen to introduce my tastes to someone without any desire to watch good fims. those i haven't seen will be watched soon.

i find it interesting that you all assume i'm straight. [nb]i am. [nb]mostly[/nb][/nb] very interesting...

and sorry for the delayed response. i have been hospitalised/in birmingham.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: yesitis on January 30, 2012, 09:25:02 PM
i find it interesting that you all assume i'm straight. [nb]i am. [nb]mostly[/nb][/nb] very interesting...

Did we?

and sorry for the delayed response. i have been hospitalised/in birmingham.

Sorry to hear that. About being in Birmingham I mean. (Get well soon.)

madhair60

Quote from: yesitis on January 30, 2012, 09:25:02 PM
thanks for the responses people (aside from those by cunts who think they're funny)

Romance and Cigarettes

madhair60

gmoney

Quote from: Dead kate moss on January 29, 2012, 03:54:37 PM

Network?

Ooh no. There's a bloody great break-up scene right in the middle. One so devastating that Beatrice Straight won an Oscar for it.

If you're going to go for Lumet, the aforementioned 12 Angry Men and The Hill are both all-out sausage fests, and fantastic too.

yesitis

i've been punsihing myself lately. physically. also watching the most romantic films i can think of. so fuck this thread.

also i'm drunk. and bleeding.

danyulx

Quote from: yesitis on February 02, 2012, 01:57:34 AM
i've been punsihing myself lately. physically. also watching the most romantic films i can think of. so fuck this thread.

also i'm drunk. and bleeding.

Check out The Vienna Actionists instead pal: an Austrian performance arts troupe from the 1960s. There's a VHS-rip compilation of their best recorded 16mm and 32mm moments doing the rounds. If you're drunk and bleeding and feeling either romantic or anti-romantic or otherwise, this should tick all your boxes. All the best.

hummingofevil

Probably being a total fuck wit but where the love in La Haine? I suppose there is the respec' for the injured (murdered?) gang member. You could claim fraternal gang loyalty but that kind of undermined by the ultimately bleak resolution. And there is plenty of talk of fuckng. Oh well...

Benevolent Despot

The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth ... and kill!

ZARDOZ

Actually I've never seen it. I know it contains nudity but that's it. I can't imagine a romantic plot in such a film. This film is in my dad's collection. Yikes.

Blumf

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on February 03, 2012, 12:38:24 AM
ZARDOZ

Actually I've never seen it. I know it contains nudity but that's it. I can't imagine a romantic plot in such a film.

It ends with
Spoiler alert
a stable relationship and a family
[close]

Watch it. It's not a great film, but at least they dared to try it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 29, 2012, 02:55:15 PM
North Sea Hijack aka Ffolkes
Roger Moore as a mysoginist loner commando expert brought in when an oil rig is taken by Anthony
Perkins' terrorists.
Not one bit of romance, not even with the female lead who poses as a boy.

That film is terrific in its own stupid, stupid 70s way.

Black Ship

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?

danyulx

Quote from: Black Ship on February 03, 2012, 03:09:40 AM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?

Nah, there's a quite threatening heterosexuality-fuelled scene near the end, unfortunately.

samadriel

Quote from: Blumf on February 03, 2012, 01:22:12 AM
It ends with
Spoiler alert
a stable relationship and a family
[close]

Watch it. It's not a great film, but at least they dared to try it.

I love the intro, with the narrator's disembodied head bouncing around the screen like a DVD idle animation, warning we viewers not to let future history follow Zardoz's grim path.  Good thing he warned us, I used to hand out free guns on the beach all the time.

SteveDave

Hot Fuzz? Pegg & Wright said there was going to be a romantic interest in Sandford but they got rid of the woman & gave some of her lines to Nick Frost's character instead.

WesterlyWinds

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Haven't actually seen the film yet (as I can't track it down, other than a shitty youtube version) but if it's anything like the book (which I'm assured it is) it should be pretty good. And no romance whatsoever.

AsparagusTrevor

Ravenous, the cannibalism movie with Guy Pierce and Robert Carlisle. I haven't seen it in a while but I don't remember any romance, just people eating each other, but not in a Deep Throat kind of way.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: SteveDave on February 03, 2012, 07:23:54 AM
Hot Fuzz? Pegg & Wright said there was going to be a romantic interest in Sandford but they got rid of the woman & gave some of her lines to Nick Frost's character instead.

QuoteWhat I want are films where no character speaks to or looks at another character in any way that could be construed as loving or caring, films that take place in a world where love, friendship and sex just do not exist.

mothman

A Few Good Men? I'm not sure there's anything in that. In fact, I believe the studio even asked what was the point of Demi Moore's character being female at all if she wasn't going to get it together with Tom Cruise.