Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:28:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Syndicate (Demo available today)

Started by VegaLA, January 31, 2012, 09:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

So, the Cyber punk game from the Amiga days is being re-made for the current Gen and the Demo* is available today. Anyone played around with it yet? Anyone remember the original?

I thought there was already a thread about this but it may have been mentioned on the Deus Ex thread...probbaly by me as I get these two confused.

Spoiler alert
Yeah, messed up when I asked if Resident Evil demo is available, its not coming out but got it mixed up with this.
[close]

MojoJojo

I think most people made the sensible decision to dismiss it as soon as they heard it was being made into an FPS.

It worked well for X-Com. And box art they have on wikipedia looks super-cool to the MAX!

The original has dated badly and has several flaws, but it was one of the first games I know of that had a tech tree that spanned a play through; it had definite separate tactical and strategic games that influenced each other.

It was also when Molyneux first deployed his male bovine excrement fountain technology. I still remember an Amiga Power preview which spent half it's word limit on the "IPA" system being espoused by Pete, which no one who played the game ever even noticed.

Syndicate Wars I only played briefly but just seemed hard.

Big Jack McBastard

Never played the original but I did enjoy Syndicate Wars on the PC, oh man that was ages ago, actually I'm pretty sure I've still got it somewhere. Full of bugs but quite fun, who doesn't like enslaving a whole city to your will, having them wield the weapons of the fallen and fight your enemies for you... even when you didn't have to enslave them, just cos you felt like it?

I remember it had a hissy fit if I tried to cheat a bit to give my troupe Graviton guns, firing them all at once made the game crash seven times out of ten.

I'll cautiously dip my toe into this but I fear what made the earlier game(s) good has been lost to time and this will be so far detached as to be unrecognisable as their offspring.

Mister Six

I saw the trailer and it just looked grim. Controlling the minds of hapless civilians to turn them into gun-toting drones/human shields was fun when they were just splodgy, identical specks seen from your Bond-villain-esque spy satellite. Watching from a first-person perspective as you make a guy put a gun to his own head, while he cries and pleads for his life, is just nasty. And not in a good way.

Big Jack McBastard

Was that 'in-game' or a cut-scene though?

Mister Six

Looked like an in-game cinematic to me. Likewise the bit where you smash some hapless scientist's head into his desk. It's just not something I particularly want to do in a game, participate in that level of cold, cynical brutality. Maybe I'm just getting old.

momatt

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 31, 2012, 10:45:15 PM
The original has dated badly and has several flaws, but it was one of the first games I know of that had a tech tree that spanned a play through; it had definite separate tactical and strategic games that influenced each other.

I love the original on the Megadrive.  Might be worth re-buying a new system for actually.

Hope this demo appears on PSN, I though the advert made Syndicate 2012 look pretty tasty.  Though it is another FPS, it is significantly different.  Mored interesting than CoD anyway
Only time will tell.

VegaLA

Did anyone DL and try this?
Bastard thing asks me for an email address to sign in, then tells me it is already registered (?) and won't let me proceed any further. Even if the account is tied to EA and I signed up via some other route my PW should let me in.
Anyone else have this problem?

May have to check the vids as this game gets released in a few weeks and i'm dying for some Co-op campaign action since 343 let me down with their laggy-bugged HD remake of Halo. Not a good sign for Halo 4, Microsoft!

momatt

Tried it.  It works but is unplayable on the PS3.  Only lets you play for a few minutes then sends you back to the menu screen as soon as it gets interesting.
The game looks alright though.
The demo - shit.

lazarou

I'm looking forward to this, which is the first time I could honestly say that about a shooter in a while. Starbreeze have done some great stuff, and I've got no problem with the re-styling or dubstep (if there's one thing it'd fit, it's a cyberpunky shooter) or anything. It's certainly nastier, but Syndicate always had leanings that way anyway. I would've liked a more squad-based tactical approach, maybe something similar to the last couple of Rainbow Six games, but I'll give it a bash anyway.

I will however say that it has some of the stupidest character names I've heard that weren't actually directly taking the piss. Tihomir Darius? Fucking hell lads.

Big Jack McBastard

I got as far as the opening video/example of the multiplayer game before the demo started, saw what it looked like (crappy unimaginative FPS deathmatch, how original), jumped back to the dashboard and deleted it.

Unless they do something absolutely *spectacular* with the SP I'm giving this a miss.

REVEEN!

Just watched/read a few reviews online and it looks like a bog standard fps. I was hoping for a Blade Runner meets Saints Row type thing.
Might pick it up if I see it for a tenner.