Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil Revelations

Started by Consignia, February 01, 2012, 07:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Any of the view 3DS owners picked this up? I received my copy today, and it's really quite good. The graphics are absolutely excellent, and it's got a great bit of atmosphere. Some people have complained about the enemy design, but I quite like them, it's a bit Silent Hill-esque. The gameplay is served into nice little chunks, which is quite fitting for the form factor. It's already knocked 5 into a cocked hat for me.

Papercut

Yeah, its really good fun so far (up to Episode 3). I wouldn't say it was better than 5 really, but certainly no worse. The story is a bit more compelling (and less ambiguous), and I'm enjoying all the timeline messing to fill in plot backstory.

The circle pad pro is totally fine even, although it looks like an eyesore. Not really needed for this though. It does look very impressive, Jill's slightly too shiney arse hugging outfit is slowly burning itself into my subconscious. The voice acting has a perfectly judged level of naffness to it as well.

I haven't quite made up my mind about the Metroid Prime style area scanning, although it is no less enjoyable than Prime, it does slow things down a bit too much.

Consignia

I'm really quite enjoying this, apart from the first boss fight. Surprisingly atmospheric given the setting. I'm just as the beginning of chapter 5, and I'm a little worried about the beef cake alpha males that have popped up, which could ruin things.

It's gotten quite a beating in the press, hasn't it? Not sure why, it's really impressive, especially for a 3DS game.

Quote from: Papercut on February 03, 2012, 05:28:43 PM
The circle pad pro is totally fine even, although it looks like an eyesore. Not really needed for this though.

I haven't got one, but I'd imagine it makes the game quite a lot easier, especially during the boss sequences were you are being overwhelmed with ooze.

madhair60

Quote from: Papercut on February 03, 2012, 05:28:43 PMI haven't quite made up my mind about the Metroid Prime style area scanning, although it is no less enjoyable than Prime, it does slow things down a bit too much.

Well, it - along with the shit controls, empty game world and boring combat - managed to completely ruin Metroid Prime, so thanks for saving me the effort.

Papercut

Ah well, I really enjoyed the exploration in Prime :) The Wii controls in trilogy were good too.

I thought press reviews had been largely favourable? Hmm, this suggests more mixed than I realised:

http://kotaku.com/5881772/resident-evil-revelations-claws-its-way-to-impressive-review-scores

Finished the main story in 10-11 hours, including quite a bit of scanning (20 handprints out of 30 perhaps?), so maybe it doesn't slow things down quite as much as it should. I'm enjoying the Raid mode levels that get unlocked, the whole thing is good fun.