Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:47:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UFC Undisputed 3

Started by Neil, February 03, 2012, 09:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I miss a lot of demos now, thanks to the Xbox dashboard update, but thankfully caught this one.  Never played the previous games, although was tempted to go for UFC 2010 many, many times when looking through the pre-owned games.  Wish I had, now, as this demo is superb, and I'm really looking forward to the full game coming out.  Just hope it gets good reviews.

Pretty brutal, accurate representation of the sport - actually, I'm a bit too much of a wimp to follow a lot of UFC, but I've no problems with pixel-on-pixel violence.  This game also includes the Pride rule-set, for even more devestation, so you can knee them on the ground etc. 

The only drawback is that submission mini-game, which just seems a bit lacking, and serves to take you away from the action. 

thugler

2010 was a bit disappointing as various aspects of the game were broken, including the submission system and career mode. But the first one was pretty good. I'm being a little cautious of this one for those reasons but I will probably check out the demo. Last time round there were way too many jammy ways to win every time, which pretty much negated a lot of the fighting styles.

Spiteface

Quote from: Neil on February 03, 2012, 09:16:41 PM
Pretty brutal, accurate representation of the sport - actually, I'm a bit too much of a wimp to follow a lot of UFC, but I've no problems with pixel-on-pixel violence.  This game also includes the Pride rule-set, for even more devestation, so you can knee them on the ground etc.

OK, I might actually have to check this out. I don't watch a lot of MMA, but I do enjoy watching old Pride shows on occasion. If this also has the Pride theme songs, the screaming banshee ring announcer and the ability to win by stamping on the opponent's head I'll be even happier.

The first UFC Undisputed was pretty good as I recall. I didn't keep it for long, other games took priority, and a "Proper" fighting sim might make a nice change of pace from the likes of "King of Fighters XIII" for me...

thugler

Quote from: Spiteface on February 08, 2012, 07:40:19 PM
OK, I might actually have to check this out. I don't watch a lot of MMA, but I do enjoy watching old Pride shows on occasion. If this also has the Pride theme songs, the screaming banshee ring announcer and the ability to win by stamping on the opponent's head I'll be even happier.

The first UFC Undisputed was pretty good as I recall. I didn't keep it for long, other games took priority, and a "Proper" fighting sim might make a nice change of pace from the likes of "King of Fighters XIII" for me...

It has the second 2 things, I've seen footage, the entrances are recreated too. Looks pretty good

Neil

Neil

Ordered it. The reviews continue to be very positive, and the demo is still holding my attention. Just a shame I won't be able to use my joystick to play it.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/02/10/ufc-undisputed-3-like-chess-but-with-concussions-and-compound-fractures/

QuoteI have to say, though, I find UFC's submissions system totally laughable. When a submission is initiated, a graphic of an octagon appears with icons for each player around the edge. The aggressor must try to chase their opponent's icon, if their icon overlaps with the opponent's long enough the opponent will tap out.

Maybe some MMA guy conferred with THQ and told them that this was the perfect visual metaphor for trying to cinch in a submission hold. And they do have some nice details with the size of the icons and the meters reacting according to each fighter's condition. Regardless, having this big-ass graphic show up on the screen and having to chase or escape an icon really takes you out of the game, particularly when the fighting itself seems to strive for realism.

From all the preview vids I got the same vibe as this reviewer when it comes to the daft on-screen submission graphic.

That said, I loved UFC 09 and 2010, so this one will probably end up in my hands, submission misgivings aside.

Neil

Two days, two days. Amazon better get this to me on Friday. Still obsessively playing the demo when I have a chance, and living vicariously through YouTube vids and reviews. Still learning a lot - this game is very deep, and I can't wait for the clinch and transition tutorials.

The ranked match servers haven't been able to keep up with demand, yet. People are losing their shit.

Subtle Mocking

Amazon are terrible with pre-orders. For me it's shopto.net or nothing (although I know that your location may influence your choice, Neil).

Penfold

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2012, 02:39:21 PM
The ranked match servers haven't been able to keep up with demand, yet. People are losing their shit.

If they're anything like the WWE 12 servers then it'll be a while before they get close to working.

Payday on Monday, will pick this up then.

Only had a couple of plays on the demo so not really had a proper go on the new submission system, especially with the demo being one round, I liked the EA MMA submission system, they should have just copied that.

Neil

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on February 15, 2012, 02:47:58 PM
Amazon are terrible with pre-orders. For me it's shopto.net or nothing (although I know that your location may influence your choice, Neil).

I was going to cancel my order today, and try to get it from shopto, as I saw people on the THQ forums saying that they were posting out today.  But I didn't, largely because I would have traded in free DLC I don't want, for DLC I was too late to get.  Ah, it all just seemed like a big hassle, really, even though shopto worked out cheaper. 

Would location influence my choice?  Where are shopto?

Amazon still haven't posted it.  Maybe I should still cancel it, and just head into town on Friday.  I CAN'T WAIT.

Subtle Mocking

I'm not sure if shopto deliver to NI or not, but they're fantastic with pre-orders. You often get it the day before release.

Viero_Berlotti

Yes, I am looking forward to this. Played the demo and it's a lot better than any of the boxing games I've played on this generation. It's actually got me interested in MMA as a sport now as well. I can't believe I'd never even heard of any of those massive Pride tournaments in Japan. Crowds of over 80,000 people is just staggering really. MMA must definitely be on the verge of eclipsing Boxing, which is seems to be something of a dying sport these days.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on February 15, 2012, 07:08:26 PM
Yes, I am looking forward to this. Played the demo and it's a lot better than any of the boxing games I've played on this generation. It's actually got me interested in MMA as a sport now as well. I can't believe I'd never even heard of any of those massive Pride tournaments in Japan. Crowds of over 80,000 people is just staggering really. MMA must definitely be on the verge of eclipsing Boxing, which is seems to be something of a dying sport these days.
Pride was wonderful, there'll be best-ofs floating about the internet, I'd imagine. Pride 10 was my first exposure to it.

I think UFC regularly beats boxing in the PPV stakes, but the big boxing matches still absolutely thrash the big MMA matches. But that relies on Mayweather or Pacquaio fighting, and when they retire, there don't appear to be many people to fill the gap.

Neil

The demo has also got me really interested in the sport. Dabbled with it in the early days, but always felt I was too wimpy - despite martial sets being one of my fave things since childhood. Watched a match with the free ESPN I had in Jan, which had a spinning roundhouse KO, and that might have converted me. Where shows it though?

Neil

Regards Pride, I believe (from the promotion of this game) that there will be some new best of show being broadcast soon.

Penfold

there's currently preliminary fights showing on the UFC facebook page ahead of UFC on Fuel TV tonight.

It's not a PPV but should still be good.

Also, as there is no UK channel showing it the full Fuel TV event will be available for free on www.ufc.tv at 1am

Neil

NICE! Thanks. I understand you also get 30 days free on that if you like the Undisputed page on FB at the mo. Missed the free Overeem though.

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2012, 11:02:22 PM
Regards Pride, I believe (from the promotion of this game) that there will be some new best of show being broadcast soon.

This is worth a read, a great behind the scenes from all those involved, fighters, promoters, journos.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pride-and-Glory-25240

Neil

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on February 16, 2012, 08:55:41 AM
This is worth a read, a great behind the scenes from all those involved, fighters, promoters, journos.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pride-and-Glory-25240

Thanks, will have a read of that. Was up to five watching those matches last night, really great stuff, especially the final one.

Fucking Amazon cunts have taken my money, but not shipped yet. Was just going to cancel and go into town tomorrow. This better be here first thing tomorrow morning!

Penfold

I fell asleep after the first match but after having a look around the ufc.tv site it looks like the other 'Fight Night' shows from the past few months are free so I assume this'll be added in the next few days.

Edit: The first match last night was awesome.

Famous Mortimer

The thought that you guys will get to, for the first time, see Kazushi Sakuraba in his ass-kicking prime, and Gary Goodridge v. Gilbert Yvel, and listen to the wonderful ring announcer woman, and see Mirko Cro Cop beat up current pro wrestler Alberto Del Rio...in a mask!, makes me happy. Pride was great.

Neil

Already enjoying Lenne Hardt from the Pride mode in this game.  Bas Rutten is as fun as ever.  I love how the lightning is different in the Pride mode - also, when you ignore someone wanting to touch gloves, and kick him in the stomach instead, the audience don't give a shit, whereas the UFC audiences will boo you for it.  THe judges are meant to score differently between the two modes, too.

Spent all day yesterday checking Amazon status, it finally shipped at 3, and then the delivery estimate suddenly switched from the 17th to the 20th!  And Monday wouldn't be a good day for me, I'd barely get near it till Tuesday night.  Thankfully, though, it's just popped through the door this second. God I can't wait[i[ to get stuck into it.  Was just about to watch some Pride vids on YouTube, but now I'll take part instead.

Here we go...

Subtle Mocking

Nice one Neil. Let us know how it is.

Bad new from anyone who's had to endure the myriad of server problems with WWE '12, they seem to have carried over to UFC. But because THQ seem to think wrestling fans are idiots, they're fixing your servers first!

Neil

Yeah they seem to be really keen on getting everything sorted, which apparently didn't happen with 2010.

Hmm, the Amazon boost pack DLC doesn't seem to be included, and I can't see it on the page anymore.

Got it installed to the HD fine, just signed out my profile first as apparently that can cause issues.

I've spent 20 to 30 hours on that damn demo. Time to get stuck into the real thing. Woohoooooooo.

Neil

Only just finished the tutorial! Nice and in depth, and the game works as you'd hope, eg if you move right and your opponent is throwing a left hook, it'll do more damage.

It does point out the difference in Pride/UFC scoring, too. It's great to know how to do things like the strong whip, and practice the timing on reversals. I'd learnt a lot from playing the shit out of the demo, and searching, but this game is DEEP.

Now to finally do some fighting. (Before spending undoubtedly faaar too long creating a fighter.)

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Neil on February 17, 2012, 12:41:51 PM
(Before spending undoubtedly faaar too long creating a fighter.)

Yep, me too. Think I'm going to make a Lenny McClean clone and do some old-school British wrestlers like Les Kellet or Mick McManus.

Neil

Heh, I must have spent twenty minutes just naming my Skyrim character!

Just doing some Pride exhibition fights before I get into career, though. Fun fun fun.

Penfold

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2012, 12:21:42 AM
NICE! Thanks. I understand you also get 30 days free on that if you like the Undisputed page on FB at the mo. Missed the free Overeem though.

http://www.ufcundisputed.com/overeemredeem

Go now!

Neil

Yay, thanks for that! Gives you the code there and then. Wanted him, too.

Living career mode. Just about to change weight divisions to prove myself.