Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Avengers [renamed]

Started by Dead kate moss, February 06, 2012, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Well I don't have an axe to grind, as I haven't seen any of films each character from Avengers is in. I had no prior knowledge if the film or what to expect and I have no great dislike of comic book films per se. I liked the first two Sam Raimi Spiderman, all the Nolan Batman, the Burton Batman, the first two Xmen. I also liked Kick Ass.

I love action films in general, Die Hard, Predator all the 80s and 90s classics, Tony Scott films etc. B-movies, exploitation etc. Not sure what my 'dry canon' is. If I do have one it gets oiled with some good grease now and then, I assure you!

The dross comment was harsh, just exaggerating for effect. And of course, you're right, it's just not my cup of tea. TDKR is a ludicrous film but I liked it more, even though I went in with high expectations. Avengers I went in about as cold as I could, knew nothing about it, hadn't seen the trailer, hadn't followed the hype or read this thread. But yeah, just found it a bit too dull and cliched.

I think the big problem is seeing it at home. I am happy to be swept away in a cinema so I'm sure I would've been a lot kinder if I had.

Anyway, sorry if I ruffled feathers. I was playing devil's advocate and exaggerating somewhat.

Sam

Mister Six

Quote from: Sam on September 24, 2012, 08:16:09 PM
Well I don't have an axe to grind, as I haven't seen any of films each character from Avengers is in.

See, that's your problem. It's not a film for people who haven't seen Iron Man et al, it's for the other 99% of the population.

(Only being facaetious with the numbers - this really is just a film for people who've seen the other movies and will get a kick out of seeing all these familiar characters interact.)

biggytitbo

I found it a tad boring tbh. It was quite long and shouty with too many characters that are crap (pretty much all the ones based on Norse mythology are ridiculous). In the end the whole thing seemed to be resolved by the Hulk smashing the shit out of everything.

I never made it until the end of Captain America either, although I liked the WW2 aesthetic of that one I got too bored by the end, partially because Captain America is a prick.

CaledonianGonzo

Actually, I gave it a second viewing at the weekend and think that - Withnail or not - Tom Hiddleston's Loki is one of my favourite villains in any genre of cinema.  More of this character, please.

biggytitbo

I thought he looked like a bell-end throughout.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 25, 2012, 06:34:05 PM
Actually, I gave it a second viewing at the weekend and think that - Withnail or not - Tom Hiddleston's Loki is one of my favourite villains in any genre of cinema.  More of this character, please.

Eccleston's got a lot to live up to in the sequel.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 25, 2012, 06:24:36 PMIn the end the whole thing seemed to be resolved by the Hulk smashing the shit out of everything.

You say that like its a bad thing.

(Anyway Iron Man pushing the nuke through the vortex thing helped more.)

Sam

Quote from: Mister Six on September 25, 2012, 04:43:10 PM
See, that's your problem. It's not a film for people who haven't seen Iron Man et al, it's for the other 99% of the population.

I tell a lie, I've seen the first Iron Man and I liked it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Dead kate moss on September 25, 2012, 08:12:08 PM
You say that like its a bad thing.
I find it boring, he does that everytime! It's not the climax to a looong film.
(Anyway Iron Man pushing the nuke through the vortex thing helped more.)
Oh yeah, I was completely pissed when I watched it to be honest. Still seemed like it was the Hulk who did most of it though.

CaledonianGonzo

One of the best things about the finale was the way the different characters were orchestrated to work together as a team and it didn't just turn into the Robert Downey Jr. show.  At least, not too much.  If anything, I could have used more Hulk.

phantom_power

I think Thor seems less ridiculous if you have seen his standalone film and spent some time with the character.

I agree with CalendonianGonzo about the finale. It is also good in how it takes each character and gives them something useful to do that is within the bounds of their varying powers and abilities. Whedon is very good at thinking about things from a character perspective. All the conflicts between the various Avengers and how they resolve them and unite at the end is really well done.

Lord Mandrake

I did drift off when Iron man and captain america were trying to fix the flying aircraft carrier, that was tedious as were the chitari really, even those giant flying woodlice seemed to present little threat and Loki whilst I really enjoy the charachter just always seemed inadequate and therefore it lacked  jeopardy.

Samuel L Jackson and his cronies were mostly one note, agent Coulson died very boringly. Downey Jr's delivery was often inaudible which wasn't much of a hardship since much of the dialogue,evenfor a comic book movie was laughable. Overall though it was a fun if overindulgent wankathon. I felt sated yet grubby and bereft of joy.

phantom_power

I am constantly surprised at how different people's taste in films can be, as I found it to be a very joyous film. The enemies not being that threatening wasn't really important because a) none of the Avengers were ever likely to die and 2) the film is about the characters overcoming their own issues with SHIELD, themselves and each other to come together to defeat a common foe. Loki was just a good mouthpiece to quip with (how can anyone berate dialogue that includes calling someone a "mewling quim") and the Chitari were cannon fodder. It made a change from other superhero films that put far more effort into developing the villians and forget about the heroes

Lord Mandrake

Mewling quim was good as was Iron man's antagonism with Cap but his angry bees line was lost in the din of the big row. Also the tech guy who was playing space invaders. So the film did have humour and the chemistry was there but there was no real feeling of tension. Thor is still my favourite of these marvel films.

Jack Shaftoe

When's someone going to make a bloody bloody mp3 of the commentary and make it available for download, that's what I want to know?

*fumes*

phantom_power

Judging by extracts from the commentary I have read, Whedon agrees with you about the Chitari off switch being lame. He jokes about it and says it was just a way of stopping the battle from going on too long. It does seem he was more interested in the story arcs of the various Avengers than the villains.

Tiny Poster

Also, the character descriptions for his SHIELD series have been leaked. He's not using anyone who already exists in the 616 Universe (at this stage, anyway) - and it's not like there's a dearth to pick from.

phantom_power

I was hoping it would centre around Lizzie Caplan's characer from the short film on the Avengers DVD. That would be a good gateway into that world

Cerys

I saw this for the first time last night.  'Awesome' is such an understatement, especially when applied to Loki.

tookish

I found the plot itself rather blah, but some of the characters and dialogue were just a joy to watch. Loki is portrayed as being a rather rubbish, British sort of villain, but he's easily the most interesting character, especially if you watched and enjoyed Thor. I also like the new Bruce Banner, even though Hulk makes me go a big rubbery one whenever he starts grunting and smashing.

Cerys

The bloke they cast as Bruce Banner was fantastic visually.  Sleepy-eyed, gentle puppy dog type, providing a brilliant contrast with the Hulk.

MojoJojo

Quote from: tookish on October 31, 2012, 05:33:01 PMLoki is portrayed as being a rather rubbish, British sort of villain, but he's easily the most interesting character, especially if you watched and enjoyed Thor.

Really? I like the film, but all I really got from Loki was anger and contempt for non-Asgardians.  I haven't seen Thor though, and now I think about it you could summarise Lady Macbeth as forceful and ambitious, so that's not really a good way to approach.

I guess the main problem is he has no real resolution - hulk kicks his arse. It's not really character development, is it? He treats normal humans with contempt, but sees the hulk as a powerful but uncontrollable and... the hulk beats him up. I don't really think he was taught a lesson.

chocky909

It's just a bunch of stuff that happened.

tookish

Is 'fantastic visually' a coy way of saying you thought he was sexy?
I do agree, I really liked him. But as I said, I find the HULKSMASH stuff really dull; I'm not suited to action films, as I just sit there glazing over and waiting for dialogue to happen.

Cerys

Quote from: tookish on October 31, 2012, 09:43:41 PM
Is 'fantastic visually' a coy way of saying you thought he was sexy?

No.  I'm all about the Loki.

Tiny Poster

Loki/Tom Hiddleston is fantastic. Compare and contrast with Rhys Ifans' fucking awful baddie in The Amazing Spider-Man. One can sell that heightened comic-book lark, and the other was in Twin Town.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A friend got the big boxset recently, so we all assembled at my house to watch the whole thing (except for Incredible Hulk, which no one could really be bothered with) and a jolly fun way to spend a lazy  Sunday it was too[nb]I guess Thursday would have been more appropriate, but what ya gonna do?[/nb].

I don't know how much of an achievement it really is, but it's pleasing to see how well the films all fit together. All those little diversions that people complained about at the time - e.g. the middle bit of Iron Man 2, or Hawkeye's cameo in Thor - work just fine in the context of the series (although Red Skull's fate still seems like a cop out).