Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:50:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Avengers [renamed]

Started by Dead kate moss, February 06, 2012, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini

I don't want the deepest film ever made, but I don't want Transformers

phantom_power

Yeah it won't be dark or meaningful or anything but Whedon is good at character and setting out the stakes and getting you invested in the action.

Hank Venture

What's Thors backstory? Why is he in America? Same with Loki, I suppose.

And is Black Widow important or is she just crammed in there to get Scarlett some screen time?

madhair60

I don't think it'll be completely vacuous - just fun, sparky, not wallowing in itself.  I'm excited!

munkybitch

For anyone who cares about context for this film might be better off just buying the three volumes of the Ultimates. It's one of the main reasons I started enjoying Marvel again and Hitch's art work and Millar's dialogue make it seem like a long story board to an amazing film which unfortunately Hollywood will never have the budget/balls for.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Mini on March 02, 2012, 04:15:16 AM
Well said. From what I gather it'll be a lot of explosions and little substance

If you're basing this assumption on the trailer, remember that you're basing this assumption on the trailer.

kidsick5000

What really impresses me about the promotions and leaks for this film are very specific to one scene.
I think they've been very canny in this regard and hope that's the last trailer before release.

It's lovely having a sense of mystery to a blockbuster again

Oh, Joss Whedon wrote it? Well that guarantees it'll be shite.

phantom_power

Quote from: The Region Legion on March 08, 2012, 01:51:58 PM
Oh, Joss Whedon wrote it? Well that guarantees it'll be shite.

Wow, truth bomb!

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on March 02, 2012, 09:41:18 AM
It's going to be knockabout fun, if you want substance go and see something that doesn't have Iron Man, Captain America and Thor in it.

Yeah, pretty much this. The Marvel movies are are great because they're not constantly dark - they have a level of playfulness and joy that makes them a delight to watch.

Dark Knight was great in its own way, but I hate this idea that it had any more fucking substance than Iron Man. It wasn't No Country for Old Men, for crying out loud!

Johnny Textface

CaledonianGonzo

The previous Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Incredible Hulk pictures were all entertaining if low-wattage fare [nb]Though not Iron Man 2, which was tripe[/nb].

If this is more of the same I really wouldn't be too stressed.  I really will take some knockabout fun.

Mister Six

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 09, 2012, 10:47:09 AM
The previous Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Incredible Hulk pictures were all entertaining if low-wattage fare [nb]Though not Iron Man 2, which was tripe[/nb].

If this is more of the same I really wouldn't be too stressed.  I really will take some knockabout fun.

Booooo! Iron Man 2 was decent enough, but needed another rewrite and the excision of the grafted-on Avengers bits to be as good as the original Cap America's been the only genuinely crap film in the series so far, by my counting.

phantom_power

I enjoyed what I saw of Captain America. The only Marvel film I haven't got on with is The Incredible Hulk, which was quite dull. The first Hulk wasn't brilliant but it had enough good moments to make it worthwhile watch.

Tiny Poster

Iron Man 2 was the only mis-step - Favreau even turned down the thrid film because of all the Avengers stuff imposed on it.

I haven't bothered with the Norton Hulk. Is it any fun?

El Unicornio, mang

I liked the Norton Hulk film, and thought Cap America was pretty decent. Didn't care much for Iron Man though.

Dead kate moss

http://uk.marvel.com/avengers-assemble/index.html

26 days til it opens, and the website is live... looking at Captain America, I just wish they'd added some bulk to his neck somehow (and not slightly messed with his costume). And had Thor keep his helmet on.

And a new TV spot/trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxDZFmo54o&feature=youtu.be

Mister Six

Quote from: Tiny Poster on March 12, 2012, 07:34:52 PMI haven't bothered with the Norton Hulk. Is it any fun?

I thought it was a rollicking good action movie with some creative uses of Hulk's abilities. It completely lacks a heart or soul, but as a light popcorn flick it's worth watching.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mister Six on April 02, 2012, 02:52:14 PM
I thought it was a rollicking good action movie with some creative uses of Hulk's abilities. It completely lacks a heart or soul, but as a light popcorn flick it's worth watching.

Yup, totally agree with that - a lot of fun.

madhair60

Did anyone ever see that Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon recently?  It was good that.

phantom_power

Is this the first Marvel film to be written by the director? Has anyone else had as much creative control over a Marvel film as Whedon seems to have?

Famous Mortimer

Whatever dude did the 1990s Fantastic Four film, maybe? :)

Mini

Quote from: phantom_power on April 03, 2012, 08:51:53 AM
Is this the first Marvel film to be written by the director? Has anyone else had as much creative control over a Marvel film as Whedon seems to have?

Probably not, but the studio are still going to be very powerful with any Marvel film. They wouldn't just let Whedon do his own thing with this big a franchise

Nuclear Optimism

Let's hope his script is better than his Alien 4 and Waterworld.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: phantom_power on April 03, 2012, 08:51:53 AM

No - there's Daredevil, the X-Men franchise and Ghost Rider, though all are Fox properties.

Jack Shaftoe

You know, I actually really liked that Elektra movie, on DVD anyway. Just putting that out there.

olliebean

I liked it too, certainly more than Daredevil.

Bingo Fury

New clip showing the Black Widow in action. Only 45 seconds long, but I like it (especially the SHIELD guy waiting calmly and patiently for Natasha to get back on the line).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OJqPJRjHkE

Mini

I still think Scarlett Johansson is the worst person to play a superhero ever, but that is a good Joss Whedon-ey gag with the  SHIELD guy waiting on the phone