Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Avengers [renamed]

Started by Dead kate moss, February 06, 2012, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Quote from: Mini on April 06, 2012, 01:24:44 AM
I still think Scarlett Johansson is the worst person to play a superhero ever

You are wrong.  Because of this:

Quote from: SteveDave on April 06, 2012, 12:19:24 PM
Boobs.

And you've forgotten about Ben Affleck, Nic Cage and George Clooney.

Mini

No they were taken well and truly into account (even the boobs)

Tiny Poster

Ah but ah Black Widow isn't a superhero aaahhhh

And she does have that great action sequence in Iron Man 2.

kidsick5000

Quote from: momatt on April 10, 2012, 02:54:11 PM
George Clooney.

No no no no no. He was just in the wrong film. Possibly the wrong costume cos he made the ears wobble a lot. But he had the potential/

Back to the Avengers...

Dead kate moss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CygiixIaKJQ

New teeny teaser. Features Hulk's face and a famous line.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 10, 2012, 07:10:29 PM
No no no no no. He was just in the wrong film. Possibly the wrong costume cos he made the ears wobble a lot. But he had the potential/

Back to the Avengers...

Yeah, Clooney would have made an amazing Reed Richards or The Comedian, once upon a time. Or perhaps a white Nick Fury.

CaledonianGonzo

While in general I'm not a massive fan of what you could term the US/online 'geek' media, I follow a couple of the better exponents on Twitter (Mr Beaks, Devin Faraci) who've now seen this and seem very, very enthused by the finished movie.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Dead kate moss on April 10, 2012, 07:14:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CygiixIaKJQ

New teeny teaser. Features Hulk's face and a famous line.

Hard to describe how pleased I am they've finally got Hulk right

Nobody Soup

call me an idiot, I imagine it must be such old news as to be common knowledge, but they actually got lou ferrigno back to be the hulk's voice?

that's just... odd, but I guess fair enough, doubt he'll have many lines beyond "hulk smash" and "raaar" so I it's unlikely he'll ruin the film.

Isn't Black Widow Russian? Could Scarlett not to the accent and they just thought "meh.. tits".

momatt

Quote from: Nobody Soup on April 13, 2012, 02:04:30 AM
call me an idiot, I imagine it must be such old news as to be common knowledge, but they actually got lou ferrigno back to be the hulk's voice?

Didn't know that, but it's not a huge surprise.  Lou also has cameos in both of the other films and voiced the last one.  There's clearly a lot of love for the chap.  Understandable, he's probably a large part of the childhoods of everyone making the films.

Quote from: The Region Legion on April 13, 2012, 06:39:09 AM
Isn't Black Widow Russian? Could Scarlett not to the accent and they just thought "meh.. tits".

There are four Black Widows, two that occur in the Avengers stories.  Yeah, Natalia Romanova should be Russian.  I must admit, I can't remember her voice in Iron Man, did she not bother with the accent at all?  Maybe they made the film character American?  Must say I'm not too arsed about this aspect, she was fanastic in the action sequences so far..

This made me laugh, naughty Nick Fury!
QuoteMonica Chang is the second Black Widow in Ultimate Marvel's continuity that appears in Ultimate Comics: Avengers. Despite the painful memories associated with the previous Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff), she refuses to change her codename. It is revealed that Monica is Asian-American and was the ex-wife of Nick Fury but the marriage fell apart after she discovered that he had been sleeping with various female members of her family and limited social circle, including her own mother.

momatt

One more thing...
Is this the real poster?  As well as looking generally a bit crap and disjointed, why is Captain America about 10 meters tall?  He's stood far behind Nick, but is way taller.  Did the artist have no grasp of perspective?

Nobody Soup

Quote from: momatt on April 13, 2012, 11:34:09 AM
Didn't know that, but it's not a huge surprise.  Lou also has cameos in both of the other films and voiced the last one.  There's clearly a lot of love for the chap.  Understandable, he's probably a large part of the childhoods of everyone making the films.

I've just noticed he's credited as the incredible hulk on imdb whereas ruffalo is credited as  'bruce banner/hulk" so it could just mean there's going to be a bit before the hulk regains his intelligence and ferrigno does that. still totally possible he'll do all the "hulk smash!" bits while ruffalo plays banner.

Mister Six

Quote from: momatt on April 13, 2012, 11:52:16 AMwhy is Captain America about 10 meters tall?  He's stood far behind Nick, but is way taller.

No, he's not - if you look, he's on the top of some debris that's piled up a little way in front of Nick Fury. It is a shit poster, though, especially the way that everyone's throwing random poses. I wish they'd go back to the days of getting an artist to paint something, rather than just throwing together a bunch of random press shots in Photoshop.

Dead kate moss

Me too -it doesn't work a s a moment in time, and you can make excuses for the 'shooper because of the different height debris in the background, but all of the character's heights look wrong. The perspective seems askew. And why are some characters posing as it there is not much danger 9Sap? A building is exploding just behind you), while a helmet-less Iron Man readies his repulsor ray... at what? None of the others have noticed the danger - or the attack ship on fire heading straight towards them from behind. A mess, but I've seen worse.

Mini

Completely agree about the poster. The individual characters cut out and stuck on at random as if by kids armed with Pritt Stick. Lazy and dull.

Blumf

Worst thing for me is the archer guy (whatever he's called), doesn't even appear to be in the same gravitational field as the rest.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Blumf on April 14, 2012, 03:24:03 AM
Worst thing for me is the archer guy (whatever he's called),

He's called Archer-Man.

Mini

He looks like he has staggered in late and reeking of booze

CaledonianGonzo

First reviews are all positive to extremely positive.  Bodes well.

NoSleep

CaledonianGonzo

Jumble Cashback

I can't believe there's such a consensus that Iron Man 2 was utter shit.  I really liked it.  There were a couple of things which bothered me on first viewing, but it's hugely re-watchable and get's better after a couple of watches.  Sam Rockwell's brilliant and Shandling's part is great, though small.  To my mind, it's also the only Marvel film to date that doesn't let itself down in the third act.  I recognise I am in the minority here, but I think it might be my favourite of the Marvel films so far and I think it will be favourably reassessed in the coming years.

Icehaven

When I first heard about this film I too thought it was an updating of the TV show, and was looking forward to seeing my man on the left there donning the bowler hat. I don't know anything about the Avengers comics or any of them apart from Iron Man and the Hulk, presumably this won't matter?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jumble Cashback on April 14, 2012, 09:30:21 PM
I can't believe there's such a consensus that Iron Man 2 was utter shit.
I don't think it was shit, just...boring. Which is a worse crime for a film about a superhero.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: icehaven on April 14, 2012, 10:14:03 PMI don't know anything about the Avengers comics or any of them apart from Iron Man and the Hulk, presumably this won't matter?

You won't understand anything!

srsly, they just team up to make a super-team. In the comics they have ever-changing membership though those in the movie are mostly the core team or founder members. Later the Vision is introduced who is an android who can walk through walls like a ghost or go diamond hard who was built from the original Human Torch (ie not the one from the Fantastic Four) by a robot called Ultron who was built by Ant-Man but turned evil, though later it was discovered Ultron lied and it was not the original Human Torch but anyway the (Avenger) Scarlet Witch (not in this movie but possibly Magneto from the X-Men's daughter) fell in love with and married The Vision, even though he was an android, and they even had kids, but this was also a trick by a baddie and Scarlet Witch went mental but I think she's ok now.

I don't think any of that's in the movie though. Probably Avengers 2.

The Roofdog

I've heard most of that stuff happens in a post-credits scene. Stay in your seats kids.

Dead kate moss

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=57942

Early review overwhelmingly positive/poorly written -

QuoteThis was the best movie I've ever seen.

edit - ends with fuck-loads of spoilers you should probably avoid.

madhair60

I want to see this movie the most out of every movie.

The Roofdog

I can only describe this movie as indescribable.