Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,481
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:01:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Musical Project

Started by Beagle 2, February 07, 2012, 01:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

We should try and get the ball rolling on this. Ideas already discussed in the other thread:

QuoteThe Masked Unit
How about rather than take turns, everyone makes something at the same time (with a relatively generous deadline Edit: I'm thinking 2 months rather than 15!) with no particular theme in mind (or indeed, with a particular theme or even a rule you have to adhere to), and Nosleep if willing sequences it once all the tracks are in.

Or people could pair up and collaborate in some way, although that might be logistically difficult.

Or we could remix the album we've just done.

Beagle 2
I like the idea of a couple of months deadline and a theme. I think there has to be something to pull it all together, maybe we could pick an interesting historical figure, or just even just a topic or a mood.

Or maybe something like Banana Woofwoof's game that time where you made your own records.... I can't find the thread but I had the rules pasted into an old email...

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first article title on the page is the name of your band.

2. http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
The last four words of the very last quotation is the title of your album.

3. http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/
The third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

....people could do that and post the results, and then they have a couple of months to produce a song inspired by what they got.

Johnny Textface
How about a concept album with a narrative? Similar to 'The Wall' but about something else.
'The life and afterlife of Michael Jackson'

The Masked Unit
What if the theme was something like making something in a style/genre you don't normally do or aren't that familiar with, or writing down things like BPMs, instruments, use of cut up vocals etc and randomly assigning them to people, so you might have to do a hip hop track at 60 BPM with an accoustic guitar (which could be supplied by another whore, sampled or synthesised).

NoSleep
It's worth considering why the album works so well. Obviously each contributor carefully considered the track they were sent, all in different ways, but it makes for an organic whole whilst also covering a fair range of styles.
How do you replace that? There are tempo and key considerations, sometimes elements reappearing from the previous track and so forth. One possibility is to follow Beagle 2's suggestion or similar.

Some more suggestions:

1. Draw a card or two from the Oblique Strategies pack (I also possess a copy of the "Book Of Answers", but actually any book will do to draw a random sentence from):

http://www.joshharrison.net/oblique-strategies/

2. Using the keymatching graph (used by mix djs) and plot a course through it (which would imply knowledge of keys and stuff):

3. Everyone submit a track that lasts less than a minute that determines a beginning and ending, we piece it together like a jigsaw, then flesh out the tracks to full length. We could use the keymatch chart to determine an in and out point in advance.

So.... elements I like from all that are people doing it simultaneously this time, and something to give us direction, a theme or some sort of random stimuli. I also personally liked the idea of a deadline of some sort, which NoSleep wasn't keen on. I can see the arguments either way, and if I'm being honest I also concede that deadlines are likely to slip anyway. I like the keymatching graph idea - I'm not the most confident with all that sort of stuff, but I'm sure we'd all get our heads around it with a little prompting.

Would you like to be involved? Any other ideas?

Johnny Textface

I'm game - I don't mind what we do but I'll certainly put the effort into producing something new, gets me off the xbox anyway.

alan nagsworth

I would love to get involved but as previously mentioned I have no fucking idea about notes, scales, keys or any of that guff. I can just write a mean hook. Man, even if someone sent me a sound sample of the required note or key limitations to what I'd be creating, I would still have a go.

Yeah I'm in.

NoSleep

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 07, 2012, 02:10:16 PM
I would love to get involved but as previously mentioned I have no fucking idea about notes, scales, keys or any of that guff.

I could probably help here. If tempo is going to be incorporated in the set-up, I could add that, too. Might be useful to have the notes the next person to follow you will be required to use, too.

NoSleep

small_world

Yeah definitely up for this again. Count me in.

I think it would work a lot quicker if we all worked separately.

I like the idea of choosing a theme, or a genre. Then everyone works something in.

Something I've really loved have been re-workings/mixes of artists' stuff. There's a Radiohead album for kiddies, using xylophones and chimes and stuff. And all piano versions.
I know this board seems to have some odd fascination with Krautrock/electronic stuff[nb]I absolutely don't. But I'm already imagining doing a nice camp-fire rendition of something that was written on a casio keyboard.[/nb]. So maybe choose a band and everyone chooses a song to re-work? You name your song on here, everyone does a different one.
Then we have a 3 month submissions dead-line. If your bit isn't in by then, then it's not included. Simples.
There'll likely be a load of volunteer contributors, so the deadline will thin it out a bit.

The Masked Unit

I'm pretty much down for whatever, but would prefer to do something solo rather than a collab (which would also just draw things out even more than last time). I also don't really like the idea of having a particular key specified either.

Nags, don't worry about lacking knowledge of music theory. I'm in the same boat and it really doesn't matter. The last album was just about being inspired by the last track, not that it had to be written in the same or a complimentary key. If "being inspired by" means following a ballad with grindcore because you like the extreme contrast, so be it.

alan nagsworth

That's uplifting to know, as is NoSleep's offer to help out. Definitely well up for it and the theme idea sounds ace, but other than that I'm pretty much open to any ideas for this!

Johnny Textface

Not sure I fancy doing a cover tbh. But will if that's what people are fancying this time.

Beagle 2

I'm the same - I'd rather not do a cover, but if more people are down with that idea then I'd definitely have a crack.

NoSleep

I'm not keen on the cover idea, either... for one it raises the question of copyright.

Phil_A

I'm up for this, whatever we decide to do.

Johnny Textface

So we just need a theme then?
If we all compose separate pieces on the same theme - I think the results would be an interesting listen certainly. 

The trouble is, what theme?

NoSleep

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 07, 2012, 03:56:10 PM
The trouble is, what theme?

Quote from: NoSleep1. Draw a card or two from the Oblique Strategies pack (I also possess a copy of the "Book Of Answers", but actually any book will do to draw a random sentence from):

http://www.joshharrison.net/oblique-strategies/

And the theme is....

QuoteIn total darkness, or in a very large room, very quietly

bearing in mind of course...

QuoteYou can only make one dot at a time

Beagle 2

I did it and it said: "Do something sudden, destructive and unpredictable". Which is a good name for an album...

The Masked Unit

Or we could just follow the exact same model as we did last time. It took a while but I'm sure we're all in agreement that the results justified it. I think it flowed particularly well, as was always the intention.

Dusty Gozongas

I wouldn't mind a dabble at this.

does the debate about format/theme end by around page 5? ;o)

small_world

Good point about the copyright thing for covers.

But definitely doing things separately. And putting it all together at a pre-determined date.

NoSleep

If you wanted to really speed things up (and go for a pre-emptive strike) then first people in could have complete freedom to come up with whatever they wanted. The trick for the latecomers would be to join the dots: making the bridge between two tracks already submitted.

NoSleep

I could act as producer again and collect everybody's contributions, suggest working order, submit tracks to individuals to listen, etc. I've done this sort of thing before.

jonnycuba

I'm up for having a go on this one I've only done a few online 'beat battles' to date but it's always been fun...

Beagle 2

Quote from: NoSleep on February 07, 2012, 06:42:31 PM
If you wanted to really speed things up (and go for a pre-emptive strike) then first people in could have complete freedom to come up with whatever they wanted. The trick for the latecomers would be to join the dots: making the bridge between two tracks already submitted.

So go in two batches? Say we have 14 people who want to do tracks - get a group of seven to go first with whatever they want, then divvy up the spaces inbetween tracks to the next lot when that batch is done?

NoSleep

I might hear stuff that fits together well from the first batch, so it might be in a couple of waves before everyone gets to start. A track might stand out as a great opener or closer for the album. I may have to reshuffle if something comes along that demands it, so signing up here will be the order we pick who goes first. Or shall we draw a line at some point and hold a lottery?

Beagle 2

OK, or if you know how best to do this plotting a course through the scale chart thing and would be happy to do so, we could rubber stamp the people who want to do it, get keys assigned and get cracking. It's as good an idea as any and gives real structure.

rudi

hummingofevil

I would love to do something again. I like the idea of having randomly assigned themes or artist/track names. Personally, I like the idea of having one album title and one band name picked out and getting everyone to produce a track / song title that is their interpretation.

If we end up with additional contributions then we got a double album (or a few eps). Maybe it could work out that certain tracks work together so could create a fake discography.

Puffin Chunks

I'm in! Don't really care what we do as long as I can do a waste of chops inspired old skool hardcore number.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I like the Oblique strategies idea the best and i can experience being Brian Eno through it.

falafel

I'm in - I like all the suggestions, so just tell me what the game is and I'll play along.

Beagle 2

So far these are the confirmed contributers...

Beagle 2
Johnny Textface
Alan Nagsworth
Small World
The Masked Unit
NoSleep
Phil_A
Dusty Gozongas
Johnnycuba
rudi
Hummingofevil
Puffin Chunks
Shoulders? Stomach!
falafel

(I just assigned you all a random oblique strategies card and it was interesting to see what came up.. the only problem being the scattershot nature of it. But we can trust NoSleep to slot it together)

Edit: In fact screw it - this is what came out... see what you think. The title was the first article that came out on random wikipedia article search. Just an idea of how it might turn out, see if that's the kind of thing you would feel like doing.

The Sign of the Seahorse

Beagle 2      
Spoiler alert
Use filters
[close]
Johnny Textface   
Spoiler alert
Do The Washing Up
[close]
Alan Nagsworth   
Spoiler alert
Use an Old Idea