Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Musical Project

Started by Beagle 2, February 07, 2012, 01:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

I'm currently away from home so here is the drill:

Create an album cover, title and band name with Beagle2's formula:

Quote1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first article title on the page is the name of your band.

2. http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
The last four words of the very last quotation is the title of your album.

3. http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/
The third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

...this is the imaginary band's album from where the track you are making originated.

And an additional OS aphorism for each of you, come in and take one:

1. Go to an extreme, come part way back
2. Go slowly all the way round the outside
3. Short circuit (example; a man eating peas with the idea that they will improve his virility shovels them straight into his lap)
4. Do something sudden, destructive and unpredictable
5. Honour thy error as a hidden intention
6. Put in earplugs
7. State the problem as clearly as possible

Each of the 7 candidates needs to post in here and tell us which one they have chosen. You cannot choose one already picked.

The Masked Unit

Regarding 2. http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3

Just a heads up that you need to hit refresh, otherwise it will bring up the same quote for everyone, as far as I can tell.

NoSleep

It will probably bring up the same quotation for you, but it will be different when others do it.

Johnny Textface

falafel

Puffin Chunks

small_world

I'll go 4 please.

And I'm really sorry, but do we all choose a quote, album and random thing or is that for one person to do for the whole exercise...?

NoSleep

Quote from: small_world on February 09, 2012, 03:54:11 PMAnd I'm really sorry, but do we all choose a quote, album and random thing or is that for one person to do for the whole exercise...?

Each one of you must do it.

rudi

Jesus now I am confused.

So am I or am I not also doing the Infinitesimal Gradations thing?

I'll take 6 by the way.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

small_world

So I take the oblique card.
And make something of it.
Get a photo.
Get a quote.
Get a random thing.
Then write a song about them all?

That's not me being sarcastic, I'm genuinely that clueless.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: rudi on February 09, 2012, 04:41:57 PM
I'll take 6 by the way.

Heheh. Jumping the gun there rudi. You're not in the first seven, and since I'm last to the table out of those I'll have to be taking that :)

Dusty Gozongas

...and I'm glad I actually made a start on this earlier only for my audio interface to die on me when I got back from some shopping. Gonna have to spunk close to a hundred quid of a generous relative's money tomorrow or Saturday on a new one now.

falafel

Quote from: small_world on February 09, 2012, 06:02:42 PM
So I take the oblique card.
And make something of it.
Get a photo.
Get a quote.
Get a random thing.
Then write a song about them all?

That's not me being sarcastic, I'm genuinely that clueless.

I think you conjure an imaginary album by an imaginary band, then write a song, inspired by the oblique strategies, that would fit in the imaginary album.

NoSleep

And don't forget that the title of the completed "compilation" was named by Beagle2 "The Sign of the Seahorse".

I also called up two Oblique Strategies for the album as a whole, which will aid me in compiling it as well as being extra advice to all other participants:

Quote1. In total darkness, or in a very large room, very quietly
2. You can only make one dot at a time

Puffin Chunks

Because what this thread really needs is some photoshopping, and it's clearly a much better idea to piddle around creating a fake album cover rather than actually getting on with writing something, this is my cover:

What with this and my 'get a neck massage' oblique strategy, get ready for some middle of the road ambient shite.

NoSleep

Unfortunately, most of the photos on flickr are of this nature; the kind that's meant evoke a "really nice."

QtheRaider

Ack, if it's not too late to join in I'd love to get involved. (and with life being a little less chaotic than it has been lately, it hopefully won't take forever and a day for me to finally rustle up a mastered version, sorry NoSleep)

rudi

Johnny Textface

I got that cover too QtheRaider (well very similar). We may need a new random picture link and maybe start a fresh? If not theres a real danger we're all going to come up with "Marooned" by Pink Floyd. Again.

hummingofevil

Right. I think I get this apart from the two waves. Why only 7 names first? Are we getting access to the first wave of stuff or are we just waiting for waiting sakes?

QtheRaider

Quote from: rudi on February 10, 2012, 11:28:31 PM
Christ, are they all going to be Clannad meets the Ozrics tracks then...?

looks that way

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 10, 2012, 11:35:43 PM
I got that cover too QtheRaider (well very similar). We may need a new random picture link and maybe start a fresh? If not theres a real danger we're all going to come up with "Marooned" by Pink Floyd. Again.

im not sure if the cover has any real significance ... all the pictures are a bit naff anyway. is anybody getting the same song titles?

Johnny Textface

I doubt we'll get the same the song titles, but there's a strong possibility we'll all end up with the same album artwork. Not sure why, unless its a coincidence.

QtheRaider

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 11, 2012, 12:42:32 AM
I doubt we'll get the same the song titles, but there's a strong possibility we'll all end up with the same album artwork. Not sure why, unless its a coincidence.

i'll do another one just incase

Johnny Textface

What do you think Nosleep? I don't think the images thus far are evoking particularly different band styles?

Puffin Chunks

I wouldn't worry too much. I've decided that my cover is ironic and Shuffle are clearly a grindcore band.

QtheRaider

Puffin Chunks

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 10, 2012, 11:44:37 PM
Right. I think I get this apart from the two waves. Why only 7 names first? Are we getting access to the first wave of stuff or are we just waiting for waiting sakes?

The first wave gets carte blanche to do what they want (within the parameters of the oblique strategies/other inspiration).

Once they've been submitted, NoSleep will start sequencing an album order and look for progressions/gaps etc. The second group may then get a track they have to follow from, or lead into, or other indicators based on where NoSleep sees them sitting in the final album. They may get no further criteria beyond what the first group has, depending on what he has received.

Does this make sense? Is this right? I think it's right.