Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How much is your harddrive worth?

Started by biggytitbo, February 11, 2012, 06:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This of course doesn't exist:

But if it did, and I lost it, I'd be absolutely gutted. It's taken a lot of time and effort to track down some of the stuff on it, plus it's the source of endless joy for me right now as I have far too much time on my hands.

And I know, I know, some of you will be furious that The Mighty Boosh is on it. But there's a few selected episodes that I quite like.

Edit: It's not finished yet, btw, and may well never be.

El Unicornio, mang

All the music and films and stuff, I don't care much about because if I ever feel in the mood to watch or listen to something I can download it, even if it's a 4GB blu-ray rip, usually in under an hour. Even if I had ripped from purchased DVDs or CDs, the physical versions of those are worth fuck all these days. I do make sure I have a back-up of music I've recorded and photos and anything else creative though, as well as save data for games, as that stuff is priceless.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 14, 2012, 02:46:37 AM
This of course doesn't exist:

But if it did, and I lost it, I'd be absolutely gutted. It's taken a lot of time and effort to track down some of the stuff on it, plus it's the source of endless joy for me right now as I have far too much time on my hands.

And I know, I know, some of you will be furious that The Mighty Boosh is on it. But there's a few selected episodes that I quite like.

Edit: It's not finished yet, btw, and may well never be.

A mighty impressive list! Quite a lot of overlap with my stuff, also have Simpons 1-12 and no more...although I also have all the episodes of stuff like Only Fools and Horses, Dads Army, One Foot in the Grave etc, but far less American stuff like you.

I reckon if we pooled Cabs collective media drives we'd have most of TV licked.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Get a backup for the backup. This is what I'm seriously considering. Some of this shit is too valuable.

I think anyone with such an amount of data should have this system:

PC/Laptop - With all media files removed to aid performance (unless the disk is a monster or solid state)
External Hard Drive - To Act As The Main Storage For Media
External Hard Drive 2 - To Act As The Backup To That

If there's a second PC then consider using some disk space to also back up the most important files you really would hate to lose.

VegaLA

My Word SMBH I hope you are using XBMC to view that media.

Since Netflix allows me access to a lot of TV media now i've relaxed on some TV shows. Classics I keep on the NAS. Dr Who I have in both ISO for DVD and AVI/DivX for the TV rips from broadcast and these are backed up on an External drive too.

Like Shoulders advised I have my personnal photos and Home videos on the NAS and two eternal drives. I spent the past two weekends throwing them from various sources, cameras, laptops, PCs onto one external drive and organized them by date before backing them up on the NAS and another external drive.  I'm only keeping current months stuff on my PC now before cutting it to the NAS and then backing up on the external drives.

I'm waiting on the prices to drop before investing in another external drive, preferably 1TB.

Puffin Chunks

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 14, 2012, 11:44:10 AM
Get a backup for the backup. This is what I'm seriously considering. Some of this shit is too valuable.

This is good advice.

My main hard disk failed, so I bought a new one. I connected my backup to restore the files and that failed too. It was pretty devastating.

I'm now considering going down the route of Networked Raid 5 storage with a hot spare always on hand. Possible overkill, but a double hard drive failure teaches you to be cautious.