Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:31:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Exciting leisure centres

Started by Replies From View, February 13, 2012, 03:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 08, 2018, 01:59:28 PM
Who would have a bastard for a snack?

Arnold the Schwarzenegger.

Q) What kind of people would try to eat a Stannah Stair Lift as a snack?

A) The key demographic for Stannah Stair Lifts.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

phes

Chedney Honks

Yessss!

Welcome back, Vinnie. Great to see you around.

The Mollusk

Can't tell you how chuffed this thread bump has made me today

Replies From View

Brilliant that it harks back to the leisure centre that started this thread, too.

Welcome back Vinnie01 (the first Vinnie)!

Marner and Me

Northgate Arena has a nude swim night, on Wednesdays I believe

Pijlstaart

Sad to think we'll be losing these magnificent buildings, never to see their like again. There's a utopianism to them, the flumes of leisure centres were designed to evoke the flumes of life, and indeed in many cases to surpass them. Inside the flume was an equity we see very rarely in the outside world, glaswegian flumes were not shorter, steeper or greasier. When they put in the chipboard dividers for the inevitable conversion to executive apartments, humankind will have reached it's lowest ebb.

phes

Bognor Regis butlins had three flumes in the 1980/90's: Two primary colours and the Black Hole. Its reputation was that you would likely be maimed or die if you rode it and I believed this and never did, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pijlstaart on January 10, 2021, 10:58:33 AM
the flumes of leisure centres were designed to evoke the flumes of life, and indeed in many cases to surpass them.

See how entitled kidney stones are.  "I'll describe your urethra as the flume of life, and I'll use it until something better comes along."

Never any gratitude.

Replies From View

Quote from: phes on January 10, 2021, 11:13:25 AM
Bognor Regis butlins had three flumes in the 1980/90's: Two primary colours and the Black Hole. Its reputation was that you would likely be maimed or die if you rode it and I believed this and never did, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

This model must have been a standard one.  Pretty sure the Oasis had a gentle blue one ('The Sidewinder' - reminded by the video Vinnie01 shared), a red one that was mildly tougher and a white one that promised to slice you into ribbons with razor blades that had been chewing-gummed to the sides by layabouts.

'The Layabout' would be a good flume name, actually.  It would be notorious for lulling everyone into a false sense of security.

Vinnie01

I never known Oasis LC closed down. I had a slight problem with unemployment recently no thanks to the Pandemic.

Someone messaged me to inform me that Oasis was closed down due to Covid.
I remember riding all of the flumes at Oasis[ apart from the Storm, that is mainly due to my health conditions. It is indeed a shame that this leisure centre was closed down.

In another video, couple of guys powered up the wave machine fan which made 1 of them scared.

Another news with this pool is where Ally Law attempted an overnight stay in the pool. They were seen activating the wave machine too.

Razor blades on the slide as this was a common thing I heard a lot about in my childhood.

badaids

Richmond used to have 4 water slides that was basically just a tower with a plunge pool at the bottom. 2 of the slides were lame as fuck, and the other 2 very dangerous. One started off with a near vertical plunge and the other was called the black hole. That was completely opaque so you went down in pitch black, totally unable to react to the hideous curves and plummets, apart from one bit which had sickening and disorientating disco lights built into it so you felt like you were travelling up the slide. You had to be 16 to go on that but nobody checked. I smashed my head, or was caught up by the person behind and smashed into many times, often falling out the end in a disorientated heap many times. Then some kid died in it and they closed it down in 1989. The whole concept was a death trap, poorly maintained and had poor safety so I'm amazed it was allowed to run at all.

shiftwork2

Echoing the comments about how great it is to see you Vin.

Replies From View

Quote from: badaids on January 10, 2021, 11:51:01 AM
Then some kid died in it and they closed it down in 1989.

Strewth.  Imagine being the leisure centre worker who found the body.  :(

Or any of the kids coming immediately behind who unwittingly came into contact with it.  :(

There's a lesson to be learned here.

Vinnie01

Quote from: badaids on January 10, 2021, 11:51:01 AM
Richmond used to have 4 water slides that was basically just a tower with a plunge pool at the bottom. 2 of the slides were lame as fuck, and the other 2 very dangerous. One started off with a near vertical plunge and the other was called the black hole. That was completely opaque so you went down in pitch black, totally unable to react to the hideous curves and plummets, apart from one bit which had sickening and disorientating disco lights built into it so you felt like you were travelling up the slide. You had to be 16 to go on that but nobody checked. I smashed my head, or was caught up by the person behind and smashed into many times, often falling out the end in a disorientated heap many times. Then some kid died in it and they closed it down in 1989. The whole concept was a death trap, poorly maintained and had poor safety so I'm amazed it was allowed to run at all.

Was this park known as Richmond Park?.

I have rememberd some theories that associated with these water slides, people supposed to put razor blades on them and the sliders were getting cut. I remember a lad from Wraysbury talking to me about this sort of thing when I was a child. I was visiting a seperated brother who was kicked out of our home and moved to Wraysbury with another family.

Windsor Leisure Centre was referred to as Windsor Leisure pool and only had 1 waterslide.  Their wave machine was not changed between the visit as a child and in 2012.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Replies From View on January 10, 2021, 11:59:48 AM
Strewth.  Imagine being the leisure centre worker who found the body.  :(

Or any of the kids coming immediately behind who unwittingly came into contact with it.  :(

There's a lesson to be learned here.

At least it wasn't a laundry plant employee who found a dead body inside a large industrial tumble dryer in 1997 at Warrenders

gmoney

When I was about 8 my mum queued with me to the top of those flumes. When we got to the front I said "this is is a bit high for me mum, you go and I'll meet you at the bottom" and then I fucked off back down the stairs.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThen some kid died in it and they closed it down in 1989

Seems a bit harsh, may have just been an incredibly stupid kid.

gmoney

When I was about 8 my mum reluctantly queued with me to the top of those flumes. When we got to the front I said "this is is a bit high for me mum, you go and I'll meet you at the bottom" and then I fucked off back down the stairs, which I was small enough to do without too much awkwardness. She still brings this up.

Bernice

Quote from: Vinnie01 on January 10, 2021, 12:04:02 PM
At least it wasn't a laundry plant employee who found a dead body inside a large industrial tumble dryer in 1997 at Warrenders

Bloody hell, you're not wrong. Trapped inside, tumbled and cooked.

I remember watching a short documentary about this giant slide in a Kansas waterpark, and the resulting fatality. Essentially utterly unregulated in that state. The safety checks from the people running it amounted to trial and error, throwing rafts with human sized bags of sand in them down the thing and calling it safe if they reached the bottom intact.

For this and many other reasons, leisure centres are better than theme parks.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Bernice on January 10, 2021, 12:13:27 PM
Bloody hell, you're not wrong. Trapped inside, tumbled and cooked.

I used to work there and I seen the damages to that dryer. Dented drum. His girlfriend worked there after the incident and did mention it to me.
My recent criticism to another company that my agency works with reminded me of this incident due to lack of health and safety.
That company was dissolved.

Waterslide documentary, I think that is where a kid was beheaded on because the raft took off the slide. I did see that video yesterday.
Theme parks are probley dangerous when compared to Leisure centres.

Blumf

The new Dudley Leisure Centre development is ploughing on. It is, however, decidedly unexciting, with a basic 25m 8 lane pool and 0 (zero) water slides.

A perfunctory exterior too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3CfT980SVE

https://www.dudley.gov.uk/things-to-do/leisure-centres/dudley-leisure-centre/splashing-new-designs-for-dudley-leisure-centre/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That is just Dudley all over.

Replies From View

Quote from: Vinnie01 on January 10, 2021, 12:04:02 PM

Very true!  He had his own very personal spin on "things can only get better" that year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I heard of kids that done a shit down the flumes. Whole centre then closed for sanitation. Probley a nightmare to deal with so now its just leisure centres with 1 small pool. No wave machines or flumes or sick features :(  1 changing room and no lockers cos of theft and rapes. Vandalised cabins and chewing gum in the urinals. Wouldn't happen in coutnries with more respect for municipal facilities

Vinnie01

Gt Yarmouth LC has been demolished, this has now become a standard pool.
They still have flumes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWTq8ejOW94

Also I managed to get in to the wave machine plantroom at Cleethorpes back in 2019. (Letchworth Sister Pool). At least the electrics for that wave machine is updated.

My city has standard swimming pools with not much fanciness. There is no leisure pools, nearest would either be Stamford, Bourne or Cleethorpes.

QDRPHNC

Nice to see you back, Vinnie. And a lovely Sunday morning surprise to see this thread on the front page again.

Replies From View

Quote from: Vinnie01 on January 10, 2021, 01:35:13 PM
Gt Yarmouth LC has been demolished, this has now become a standard pool.
They still have flumes.

If they still have flumes then they are in no way a standard pool, surely.