Author Topic: Exciting leisure centres  (Read 122922 times)

Re: Exciting leisure centres
« Reply #840 on: January 10, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
If they still have flumes then they are in no way a standard pool, surely.

St Albans was a standard pool that had flumes going in to another pool.  Now that was demolished, its just a plain pool without the flumes.

« Reply #841 on: January 10, 2021, 07:58:47 PM »
I heard of kids that done a shit down the flumes. Whole centre then closed for sanitation.

That used to happen quite often at the Sun Centre in Rhyl. I hate to imagine the amount of Scouse and Manc e-coli I ingested whilst it was open. Never saw so many tattoos on ladies before or since.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #842 on: January 10, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »
It's annoying they closed the whole place for one self-rinsing flume.  Not needing to wash them is surely one of the main joys of flumes?  At most they should have to put a bit more chlorine in the 'collection pit' at the bottom of the flume.

PowerButchi

• The Bronzed Adrian Adonis
« Reply #843 on: January 10, 2021, 08:56:19 PM »
I live in sight of Plas Madoc Leisure Centre. I'll take some nice photos tomorrow.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #844 on: January 10, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »
I used to be a big fan of the Forest Glades Leisure Centre in Kidderminster. It had a wave machine and the tiles in the pool were green so the water looked like snot. I didn't know it had closed until I mentioned it and someone sent me a video of it being urbexed.

There was another one they took us to when we were scouts that had 3 slides and a sort of rapids thing with a strong water current. It had one small slide that was at about 45 degrees and you'd go so fast you'd start aquaplaning. I thought it might've been the crystal in Stourbridge but I googled it and can only see one slide.

« Reply #845 on: January 10, 2021, 09:07:08 PM »
I used to be a big fan of the Forest Glades Leisure Centre in Kidderminster. It had a wave machine and the tiles in the pool were green so the water looked like snot. I didn't know it had closed until I mentioned it and someone sent me a video of it being urbexed.

There was another one they took us to when we were scouts that had 3 slides and a sort of rapids thing with a strong water current. It had one small slide that was at about 45 degrees and you'd go so fast you'd start aquaplaning. I thought it might've been the crystal in Stourbridge but I googled it and can only see one slide.

Someone urbexed that pool, I never known of it until I seen that video.
The wave machine there is another 3 chamber system possibly designed by Dirk Bastenhof.

« Reply #846 on: January 10, 2021, 10:49:22 PM »
When I was about 8 my mum reluctantly queued with me to the top of those flumes. When we got to the front I said "this is is a bit high for me mum, you go and I'll meet you at the bottom" and then I fucked off back down the stairs, which I was small enough to do without too much awkwardness. She still brings this up.

Did she have to go down by herself?

Not much to add to this excellent thread other than I used to swim up underwater to the bars that hid the wave machine generator at Bubbles in Morecambe and scare myself silly by imaging the worlds biggest Great White mooching about in the gloom. Then do it again.

Also a pool in Dundee??? where one water slide fired you out of a wall some feet above the water for a crash landing.
Almost definitely not as high up as it seemed but can any Scotch correspondents pinpoint the pool or its whereabouts?

« Reply #847 on: January 11, 2021, 08:55:05 PM »

Just shove her down the flume

« Reply #848 on: January 11, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »

Fnarr...

owlboy

• PDF Like a Boss!
« Reply #849 on: January 12, 2021, 10:16:19 PM »
Also a pool in Dundee??? where one water slide fired you out of a wall some feet above the water for a crash landing.
Almost definitely not as high up as it seemed but can any Scotch correspondents pinpoint the pool or its whereabouts?

That'll be the old Olympia pool which was knocked down for the new V&A Museum. The flume can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/9Ohyw23.jpg.

The new Olympia pool has a similar type of slide, but slightly less dramatic as you don't suddenly appear from behind a wall...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMJ0wJynHAs

« Reply #850 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:03 PM »
Thanks for that Owlboy, mystery solved. There was no way I was going to remember any more details about the place as the evening that followed degenerated into snorting spirits. And didnt get any better after that.

« Reply #851 on: January 16, 2021, 08:06:53 AM »
I know North Hykeham Leisure center has a small slide that goes outside, its more an interactive slide that plays music. Many people says it is shit.

This swimming pool is also run by the same comnpany that ran Oasis Swindon. The swimming pool itself is a standard rectangle pool, I never swim there.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #852 on: January 16, 2021, 09:07:49 AM »
What’s the interactive element of the musical slides?  Do you come into contact with different buttons as you go down?

« Reply #853 on: January 16, 2021, 09:22:43 AM »
What’s the interactive element of the musical slides?  Do you come into contact with different buttons as you go down?

Never been on it so I don't know much about it.  I heard it plays music and does different lights. Possibly operated by the buttons at the top. Many people who been on it says it was shit because its too slow and sometimes you stop on it.