Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Exciting leisure centres

Started by Replies From View, February 13, 2012, 03:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinnie01

Quote from: Replies From View on January 10, 2021, 01:54:49 PM
If they still have flumes then they are in no way a standard pool, surely.

St Albans was a standard pool that had flumes going in to another pool.  Now that was demolished, its just a plain pool without the flumes.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 10, 2021, 01:17:02 PM
I heard of kids that done a shit down the flumes. Whole centre then closed for sanitation.

That used to happen quite often at the Sun Centre in Rhyl. I hate to imagine the amount of Scouse and Manc e-coli I ingested whilst it was open. Never saw so many tattoos on ladies before or since.

Replies From View

It's annoying they closed the whole place for one self-rinsing flume.  Not needing to wash them is surely one of the main joys of flumes?  At most they should have to put a bit more chlorine in the 'collection pit' at the bottom of the flume.

PowerButchi

I live in sight of Plas Madoc Leisure Centre. I'll take some nice photos tomorrow.

Sebastian Cobb

I used to be a big fan of the Forest Glades Leisure Centre in Kidderminster. It had a wave machine and the tiles in the pool were green so the water looked like snot. I didn't know it had closed until I mentioned it and someone sent me a video of it being urbexed.

There was another one they took us to when we were scouts that had 3 slides and a sort of rapids thing with a strong water current. It had one small slide that was at about 45 degrees and you'd go so fast you'd start aquaplaning. I thought it might've been the crystal in Stourbridge but I googled it and can only see one slide.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 10, 2021, 08:57:05 PM
I used to be a big fan of the Forest Glades Leisure Centre in Kidderminster. It had a wave machine and the tiles in the pool were green so the water looked like snot. I didn't know it had closed until I mentioned it and someone sent me a video of it being urbexed.

There was another one they took us to when we were scouts that had 3 slides and a sort of rapids thing with a strong water current. It had one small slide that was at about 45 degrees and you'd go so fast you'd start aquaplaning. I thought it might've been the crystal in Stourbridge but I googled it and can only see one slide.

Someone urbexed that pool, I never known of it until I seen that video.
The wave machine there is another 3 chamber system possibly designed by Dirk Bastenhof.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: gmoney on January 10, 2021, 12:10:02 PM
When I was about 8 my mum reluctantly queued with me to the top of those flumes. When we got to the front I said "this is is a bit high for me mum, you go and I'll meet you at the bottom" and then I fucked off back down the stairs, which I was small enough to do without too much awkwardness. She still brings this up.

Did she have to go down by herself?

Not much to add to this excellent thread other than I used to swim up underwater to the bars that hid the wave machine generator at Bubbles in Morecambe and scare myself silly by imaging the worlds biggest Great White mooching about in the gloom. Then do it again.

Also a pool in Dundee??? where one water slide fired you out of a wall some feet above the water for a crash landing.
Almost definitely not as high up as it seemed but can any Scotch correspondents pinpoint the pool or its whereabouts?

owlboy

Quote from: Brian Freeze on January 10, 2021, 10:49:22 PM
Also a pool in Dundee??? where one water slide fired you out of a wall some feet above the water for a crash landing.
Almost definitely not as high up as it seemed but can any Scotch correspondents pinpoint the pool or its whereabouts?

That'll be the old Olympia pool which was knocked down for the new V&A Museum. The flume can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/9Ohyw23.jpg.

The new Olympia pool has a similar type of slide, but slightly less dramatic as you don't suddenly appear from behind a wall...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMJ0wJynHAs

Brian Freeze

Thanks for that Owlboy, mystery solved. There was no way I was going to remember any more details about the place as the evening that followed degenerated into snorting spirits. And didnt get any better after that.

Vinnie01

I know North Hykeham Leisure center has a small slide that goes outside, its more an interactive slide that plays music. Many people says it is shit.

This swimming pool is also run by the same comnpany that ran Oasis Swindon. The swimming pool itself is a standard rectangle pool, I never swim there.

Replies From View

What's the interactive element of the musical slides?  Do you come into contact with different buttons as you go down?

Vinnie01

Quote from: Replies From View on January 16, 2021, 09:07:49 AM
What's the interactive element of the musical slides?  Do you come into contact with different buttons as you go down?

Never been on it so I don't know much about it.  I heard it plays music and does different lights. Possibly operated by the buttons at the top. Many people who been on it says it was shit because its too slow and sometimes you stop on it.

Vinnie01

Quote from: phes on January 10, 2021, 09:52:27 AM
Vinnie01 LIVES

That is if my illness doesn't finish me off.

Swindon Oasis still having long campaigns against it;s closure.
https://www.facebook.com/saveoasis

I have not been in to any other leisures centres for over a year. I do like ThePoolGuy's videos on youtube. By the seems of it the Swindon council are not listening to people who campaigned against the closer of this facility. Also is now guarded due to people gaining access as result of several news articles reported about the goings on there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kirkstall Leisure Centre is back open and I go 5 times a week.

There is no wave machine or fun stuff, it's all remorseless lane swimming or squash. The distancing attempts are frankly pathetic.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 03, 2021, 10:07:27 AM

There is no wave machine or fun stuff, it's all remorseless lane swimming or squash. The distancing attempts are frankly pathetic.

If they were to demolish swindon's oasis. The new leisure centre will be like that. Already been seen at Gt Yarmouth's Marina. Their old pool was Sister pool to Letchworth, Bournemouth and Cleethorpes.

Letchworth and Cleethorpes are the only operating sister pools that were made by the same companies. Although Letchworth was nearly threatened with Closure due to the pandemic.

ProvanFan

You must be well wrinkly

Fr.Bigley

For wave machine goodness, you wanna get yersen to lightwaves in Wakefield, or the edge in York, ot donny thunderdome...of course, I've no idea if these places are still open as the last time I frequented a Water Park, the fussball was playing in South Korea. Blood hot year that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The thought of being near some children in Wakefield makes me feel physically sick.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 03, 2021, 06:28:10 PM
The thought of being near some children in Wakefield makes me feel physically sick.

Why?

I thought being around youths were bad enough, little shits.

Vinnie01

Interesting most LC are now looking for lifeguards. The courses for it is quite expensive.

Fr.Bigley

Where did the previous lifeguards go during the pandemic? Realised that sitting on a high chair was best preserved for a feeding toddler or an elderly tennis umpire and offed themselves no doubt. Pointless profession, everyone I see drowning, deserves it.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 04, 2021, 02:29:51 PM
Where did the previous lifeguards go during the pandemic? Realised that sitting on a high chair was best preserved for a feeding toddler or an elderly tennis umpire and offed themselves no doubt. Pointless profession, everyone I see drowning, deserves it.

I wont even take up the job personally as I probley will let the person I don't like drown. Its not an ideal job for my conditions. As for the previous lifeguards, probley laid off during closure of the leisure centre they probley went to another job.

Blumf

Quote from: Vinnie01 on May 04, 2021, 02:20:30 PM
Interesting most LC are now looking for lifeguards. The courses for it is quite expensive.

Just assumed it'd be a beefed up lifesaving course, with some extra 'elf & safety stuff slapped on. But thinking about it more, I guess it'll involve background checks and the like.

I hate the acoustics of swimming pools, can't be doing with that all day, so it's a pass for me.

pancreas

Surely someone here could step up to the diving board and take the plunge into the rewarding, yet challenging lifeguarding career offered by some of our country's most exciting leisure centres?

Sebastian Cobb

Based on the few people I know who were lifeguards in their younger days, the hardest challenge is not getting caught sleeping in the high chair.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 04, 2021, 05:23:55 PM
Based on the few people I know who were lifeguards in their younger days, the hardest challenge is not getting caught sleeping in the high chair.

I wouldn't even have the energy for the job as people can exhaust me a lot, I can probley fall asleep quite easily. There was a lifeguard who actually got sacked for sleeping in the chair.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I know large people can swim but I wouldn't trust a few of the people working at ours for an urgent response to a life threatening incident. More likely to cause the chair to collapse. They all look bored as fuck.