Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:13:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

OS X Mountain Lion

Started by Jim Jarmusch, February 16, 2012, 04:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on February 19, 2012, 10:43:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that if I manually open a zip file I've downloaded it's then selected the folder it's extracted for me.

It doesn't do this in Tiger. The zip file remains the one selected. Create a folder to unzip the file in or keep your desktop clean and drag zips there to extract. Actually, unzipping on the Desktop is the answer as the file/folder is deposited askew on top of the zip file so it's difficult to lose. This occurs with a folder set to Icon mode, too.

Zetetic

JimJ, I have to admit that I should probably check out ArchiveHelper's behaviour when I next restart. I might be misremembering things.

I do think that 'sort out your Downloads folder' is an odd response - I think it should be largely expected that people will fill their Downloads folder with hundreds of items that they will then ignore for months and years.

Personally, with a tool like ArchiveHelper, I think that the correct behaviour should always be to ensure that the unzipped files are placed in a new folder - whether it's one that forms for the root of the archive, or one that has to be invented. Still, I appreciate that's not always appropriate (although I'd argue there that it's easier to move files from a folder than find them and put them in one) and that some people might not like that.

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 19, 2012, 10:39:11 AM
The list of things that don't work properly are endless. We have two monitors attached to our MacBook pros at work and when I wake the thing up from sleep it never wakes up both the monitors until I unplug and plug back in the dongle 2 or 3 times, and I'm not the only one who has that trouble.
That does indeed sound like a bug. I've never encountered it myself. (And while I don't think it excuses the behaviour, my first thought would be that the monitors themselves are failing to act to in an expected manner given how notorious failing to adhere to any standard is.)

QuoteDitto with putting the thing in hibernate - my windows 7 machine hasn't been restarted for months, I just shut the lid every night, it hibernates and when it wakes up it works exactly as it did before. If I do that for more than a few days on the MacBook everything starts to grind to a halt, iChat stops working properly and I have to restart.
I don't have any problem whatsoever with repeated hibernation, but I would agree that Windows 7 does seem to produce a more consistently responsive machine following waking from hibernation (at the expense of a slightly slower apparent resume time, it seems to me) and that is a preferable behaviour.

Dead kate moss

Downloaded something via Firefox? Select downloads from top menu bar Tools or press AltJ.( It may already be open from while it was downloading, can't remember). Downloads opens with whatever you just downloaded top of the list. Click on it, select open in finder, there it is. Put it anywhere you want it from there. Am I missing what needs fixing? Probably a tiny bit easier i when I select Downloads it opens Finder not a list, but hardly a problem.

NoSleep

Quote from: Zetetic on February 19, 2012, 11:21:33 AM

Personally, with a tool like ArchiveHelper, I think that the correct behaviour should always be to ensure that the unzipped files are placed in a new folder - whether it's one that forms for the root of the archive, or one that has to be invented. Still, I appreciate that's not always appropriate (although I'd argue there that it's easier to move files from a folder than find them and put them in one) and that some people might not like that.

It will only extract a file directly into the directory if it is a single file. If you select a group of files and archive them, they will be unzipped in a folder named "Archive".

Jim Jarmusch

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 19, 2012, 10:39:11 AMThey managed to out some USB ports on it, whoopee, but they decided to put them all on the left so if you have the misfortune to use the terrible apple wired mouse with the bafflingly short cord and you happen to be right handed you have to drape the cord round the back and use the mouse uncomfortably close to the side of the laptop.

Who the hell still uses a wired mouse, I mean really. The Mighty Mouse was discontinued in 2009 but for years now wireless mice have been affordable. Unless there's the thefts in the office there's no reason for them and it's got nothing to do with the OS.

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 19, 2012, 10:39:11 AMAnd even though the hardware is nice in order to connect our MacBooks to any of the standard hardware we have like monitors and projectors we have to have a bunch of stupid dongles hanging out of the thing because apple decided to not put any industry standard ports on them.

VGA ports are massive and it's technology old now. The MacBook hardware you admit is nice is because it doesn't have them. The majority of people don't use a monitor or a projector for their laptop and so a small, cleaner port on the side is appreciated in favour of you and your worthless dongle argument.

Quote from: NoSleep on February 19, 2012, 11:12:20 AM
It doesn't do this in Tiger. The zip file remains the one selected. Create a folder to unzip the file in or keep your desktop clean and drag zips there to extract. Actually, unzipping on the Desktop is the answer as the file/folder is deposited askew on top of the zip file so it's difficult to lose. This occurs with a folder set to Icon mode, too.

Here's a video I just made extracting a zip with Snow Leopard. I had to get out of bed to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMfTA-bSUpc

NoSleep

I'd like to see another video where the cursor didn't end up exactly over where the new folder arrived in the directory, as there's a pause between the activity bar disappearing and the archived folder being selected. It could have been selected via a mouse click.

Jim Jarmusch

The mouse clicks have that blue ripple effect on them but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFSRSo-9coQ

For zip files the folder is selected. Rar files they're not.

NoSleep

Jim Jarmusch

I'm waiting on Apple to send redeemable voucher. My Retina Macbook should be arriving on Saturday!

Anyone installed it yet?

mobias

Getting it this weekend. All the reviews are very positive and anyone with a recent Mac will see noticeable performance gains. Not sure of how many of the new features I'll ever use, I use bugger all of Lions except perhaps launch pad.

Jim Jarmusch

It's a disappointing that Apple can't instantly recognises you've bought a new system and you qualify for the free upgrade. I've got a feeling I'll be waiting a couple of days for this. I was patient enough to wait a full month on the hardware.

Features wise the notification system will get used a lot. I've always had Growl but saw it as very basic compared to the level of integration this is going to offer. I'm using Safari 6 on Lion and prefer that they've embraced the Chrome one bar finally.

Ignatius_S

Either tonight or the weekend – I'm good to go as I've did some housekeeping, like trimming away some files and documents (well, about 40GB) as I wanted to create a fresh bootable clone drive first.

I rather lean towards the view that the last three upgrades (including this one) are more like incremental steps, each building on the last, compare to previous major revisions that were less frequent. This newer approach lets people get used to features more gradually and arguably, helps the evolution of features; for example, the Auto Save feature. I wouldn't say there's anything in particular that I'm wildly excited about, as it's more of a case of refining features, but there looks some nifty changes – for example, Time Machine supporting multiple volumes for back-ups).

I suspect I will be investing in a trackpad in the near future...

Ars Technica has it's usual mammoth review of the new OS – well worth a read.

Also, Macworld have quite a few decent articles – if nothing else, visit this piece and have a look at the screen shot for 'Take a memo'... made me smile.

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 26, 2012, 10:00:32 AM
It's a disappointing that Apple can't instantly recognises you've bought a new system and you qualify for the free upgrade. I've got a feeling I'll be waiting a couple of days for this...

Like any software distributed via the App Store, Mountain Lion is tied to your App Store/iTunes account, not a specific machine – you can install it on how many Macs you want.

Although I guess they could have a system where you enter a serial number, I can see two drawbacks:

- Serial numbers being shared/sold – there's a decent trade in people buying cut-price AppleCare, which isn't for boxed copy, but a redemption code; although the code is usually genuine; it's already been redeemed. I know ML is only $20/£14, but a few will try to save a buck.

- People not knowing the serial number. If your machine hasn't been delivered, this way, you can request the redemption code now or you might have more than one machine, but don't have access to the new one.

That's not to say that there isn't a better way or Apple shouldn't have more than one way of getting a redemption code, but in the past, the only real issues has been the time it gets the free copy. I have a feeling that people on the whole were a bit more patient when the OS upgrade cost a lot more (perhaps people are just used to a more instant on, instant everything?). Today I've read so many irate comments along the lines 'I've been waiting for at least 5-20+ hours and STILL haven't got my code... this is the worst product launch of all time and Apple is doomed.'

Some people have received their code virtually straight away, so you might get lucky! The people I feel most sorry for are the ones who received a code before they should and now have to request a new one, which actually works.

Jim Jarmusch

Your serial number is required and proof of purchase receipt despite using the Apple online store. I had to do a bit of fiddling about, print preview, save as pdf, export as jpg to attach to my claim. I applied late last night using my Mum's Apple ID and this morning with my own. Still nothing.

Depending on the strength of the Airplay mirroring I could do with another Apple TV for the bedroom. Original iPads no longer being support for iOS 6 is a real shame as I would have used the Safari switching devices feature between the two.

I've heard theres no actual picture of a Mountain Lion in the wallpapers and I haven't got the advertised Zebras on my MacBook. Tim Cook might be getting an email. I miss the black and white collection.

Ignatius_S

All done - haven't had much of a play, but I think it's going to be fun when I have time! When the machine was re-indexing spotlight, it went to sleep on it's own for some reason, but other than that no problems...

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 26, 2012, 05:20:42 PM
Your serial number is required and proof of purchase receipt despite using the Apple online store. I had to do a bit of fiddling about, print preview, save as pdf, export as jpg to attach to my claim. I applied late last night using my Mum's Apple ID and this morning with my own. Still nothing....

Many apologies - I had been given duff information. Sounds a rigmarole and no mistake... I've also read that some bright spark reset the part of a database, which meant people were being sent codes that had been sent to people already.

There is a Zebra desktop (plus, a black and white collection) but no ML.

glitch

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 18, 2012, 11:07:20 PM
It feels rather nice that I'm speaking he truth against all you brain washed fools who think OSX is an acceptable consumer OS. It isn't, it's the worst price of software ever foisted on the public under the guise of something good, an example of marketing over reality par excellence.

How is it worse than Vista?

Upgraded yesterday, so far the only issues I've found are it's broken my apache install and git.

mobias

Just started the download. I take it no one has found any issues with pirated software so far? I've got rather a lot.

Jim Jarmusch

I don't think my download is moving. The indicator does look like its budged.

mobias

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 27, 2012, 08:12:51 PM
I don't think my download is moving. The indicator does look like its budged.

Same here. I wonder if bits of the internet have ground to halt because of people watching the olympics opening ceremony? 

Jim Jarmusch

yeah I think they've sent out a load of codes at once too.

Jim Jarmusch

The dock is a sexy metallic now and I get to be reminded of my own name every time I check the time.

Impressed.

mobias

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 27, 2012, 09:52:47 PM
The dock is a sexy metallic now and I get to be reminded of my own name every time I check the time.

Impressed.

LOL. That's about as much as I've noticed too.

mobias

So how's everyone finding Mountain Lion then?  The only beneficial thing I've really noticed is that I seem to get a bit less stalling ( the colour beachball thingy) when I'm using programs like photoshop and I've yet to have it at all when using the new Safari. Things might be running marginally faster, it certainly boots slightly quicker. So much of Mountain Lion's new features seem to be lost on me because they all seem to do with organising a life I don't actually have but lots of Apple users apparently do. The alerts thingy down the right hand side seems utterly pointless, for me at least. Why do I need a notification center? Apple seem to think I have a much more eventful life than I've got. Maybe I should have more going on in my life just to take advantage of my computers operating system functionality.   

greencalx

I always wait for at least the .1 update before migrating, as there can often be quite nasty bugs in the .0 versions that trash all your files.

However, Safari 6 is available for Lion, and is a lot snappier than previously. In particular the hang that used to happen everytime I opened a page with some Flash on it has gone away, which I'm relieved about. And truly horrendous sites like techradar that used to take forever to load because of all the poop they have on them now load in a snip as well.

I agree with all the social media crap, can't see the need for it, but there you go.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 19, 2012, 10:39:11 AM
they take 5 minutes trying to grab the tiny little handle to resize a window

Haha, I've just read this.  I like the idea that you consider it to be true.

KLG-7A

Whenever biggy talks about Macs I am reminded of somebody, but until now I couldn't quite place who it was.

Biggy? Is this you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SehPOYKmRI4

Some free stuff here for the next 36 hours. Haven't tried them out yet.

http://maclegion.com