Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,345
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gangster films

Started by yokel, March 01, 2012, 08:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 05, 2013, 02:00:14 AM
It doesn't matter how big and tough you are if the other person has a gun. Also, just because someone is wearing a suit doesn't mean they're not hard as fuck. The real Jimmy and Tommy were fucking huge-armed bruisers who killed people for fun, not just tubby lower middle class lagerheads in tight jeans and silly white trainers having a scuffle on a Saturday afternoon.

From 'Wiseguy', the book on which 'Goodfellas' is based:

'They were not the smartest guys in the neighbourhood,. They were not born the richest. They weren't even the toughest. In fact, they lacked almost all the necessary talents that might have helped them satisfy the appetites of their dreams, except one - their talent for violence. Violence was natural to them. It fueled them. Snapping a man's arm, cracking his ribs with a inch and a half diameter lead pipe, slamming his fingers in the door of a car, or casually taking his life was entirely acceptable. It was routine. A familiar exercise. Their eagerness to attack and the fact that people were aware of their strutting brutality was the key to their power, the common knowledge that that they would unquestionably take a life ironically gave them life'.

It's not about looking the part.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: graffic on March 05, 2013, 02:50:08 AM
Well from an entertainment viewpoint it's more entertaining to see Essex criminals/hardmen who look like they mean business than some greacy Italian American schmuck poncing around in a suit with wet hair.

The guy "Pat" in rise of the footsoldiers looks like an absolute lunatic who would kill and take on anyone, and the leader of the Millwall firm looks like a proper hard man who would do damage whereas Tommy in goodfella's is about 5 foot 4 in an ill fitting suit with a voice that sounds like it hasn't broken yet.

Still know fuck all about anything then Graf me old mucker.

graffic

Quote from: Kane Jones on March 05, 2013, 10:14:22 AM
Two of the most cretinous, pointlessly nasty films I've ever seen.  The British 'gangster' films are for thick cunts with no class who admire these horrible pricks and lahv a good fackin' fight daahn the pub, mate (or for people who squeal and giggle with delight at the nasty bad men but secretly admire the lifestyle and wish they knew 'hard' people like that). 

You could say the same about Goodfella's which is unpleasant and seedy. What about the scene where Joe Pesci shoots a boy for no reason? The Essex criminals in RITF don't ponce about in suits with respectable manners and try and pass themselves off as respected, acceptable members of society. They are neanderthals and proud  to be neanderthals, so it's more honest and real. Mark Kermode said about Green Street that it was too poorly done for it to be offensive. I think the same about Football factory and RITF. I don't think there is a fight club thing about them because it's not done well enough. There are moments in FF and RITF that are unintentionally funny. Whereas Goodfella's and  especially Godfather take themselves so seriously.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Kane Jones on March 05, 2013, 10:14:22 AM... The British 'gangster' films are for thick cunts with no class....

Every British gangster film?

Kane Jones

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 05, 2013, 02:44:37 PM
Every British gangster film?

Well.. No, I was irked by some comments when I wrote that.  I do have a genuine dislike of the football hooligan ones though.  And Guy Richie's are overrated shit as well.

Sexy Beast was good.  As was Gangster No. 1 (and many others..) Does Get Carter count?  That film's nails.

Blumf

Quote from: Kane Jones on March 05, 2013, 03:18:25 PM
And Guy Richie's are overrated shit as well.

Revolver, although shit, has potential I think. If somebody with a bit more talent, brains, and who hadn't cribbed all they know about Kabbalah by reading over Maddona's shoulder gave it a punt, might be an interesting film.

graffic

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on March 05, 2013, 02:24:15 PM
Still know fuck all about anything then Graf me old mucker.

Just because goodfella's was made by Martin Scorcese everone has a massive hard on about it. It's an unpleasent, seedy film that takes itself to seriously.

Take the scene where Joe Pesci shoots the teenage boy for no reason. That would never happen in a British gangster film. Or if it did they wouldn't react the way Pesci and De Niro do to it. They would probably level the guy who did it, even if he was their best mate. Joe Pesci also treats his mum like shit when he borrows that knife. That would never happen in a film like Rise of the Foot soldier.

Blumf

Do you like The Krays?

acrow

of course he doesn't. gays innit?

graffic

I have not seen the Krays