Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Windows 8

Started by falafel, March 01, 2012, 08:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falafel

Rapidly solidifying conclusion: This is Vista repeating itself as farce. It is a terrible sign when your beta testers, usually an open bunch, clamour enough for someone to heavily mod your new UI out of existence within a week... your snazzy new UI which is supposedly the software's raison d'etre.

Wilbur

Quote from: falafel on March 09, 2012, 01:21:18 AM
Rapidly solidifying conclusion: This is Vista repeating itself as farce. It is a terrible sign when your beta testers, usually an open bunch, clamour enough for someone to heavily mod your new UI out of existence within a week... your snazzy new UI which is supposedly the software's raison d'etre.

It seems possibly to have been amalgamated in a rather odd way when its really two different things. They should really be concentrating on mobile but not fucking off their core customers.

jutl

I think it'll probably be more like Windows 98. Remember how it had single-click, web-link-like icons on the desktop by default? Everyone turned it off after twenty minutes and you were left with what was essentially a glorified service pack for 95.

SetToStun

Vista now looks to me like a knowingly crap OS, designed purely to get people used to not actually being a proper administrator of their own machine; a bridge between XP and 7, purposefully designed to infuriate people enough that they'll accept the useability issues in 7 if for no other reason than to get the fuck off of Vista. Perhaps 8 is somewhat similar - people will use it because they'll have no choice for a while, but then when the next version comes out everyone will love it simply because it's coherent and definitely not 8.

Just installed the Consumer Preview Beta running in Virtualbox within Windows 7 and played about with it for five minutes.

It's far too basic and should stay on a tablet. It looks like it would be fun for a 10 your old to operate but there's little functionality there when you compare it to a proper OS. Most people are intermediate computer users these days and there's nothing there to satisfy the average person that Windows 7 doesn't already do intuitively and well.