Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shit' films which you actually quite like

Started by Custard, March 04, 2012, 11:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

This thread must have been done upteen times, and apologies if it was done recently, but I couldnae see anything, captain

Resident Evil
I can see why yer die-hard fans of the game would dismiss it, but it simply never fails to entertain me. The bit with the lazers, eh? The bit with the lazers. Oh, and the bit when they're crawling over the pipe

Clash Of The Titans (Remake)
Took my nephew to see this at the pictures, and though I had seriously low hopes, due to the dreadful reviews and word-of-mouth, I actually really enjoyed it for what it was. A nonsensical, OTT, insanely daft action film, with massive scorpion things in it. Rewatched it on DVD recently (stop giggling at the back), and enjoyed it all over again! The bolted-on 3D was dreadful, mind. But on a further plus-side, and it's a big one, Gemma Arterton is in it, in a robe, looking all spunky. A 6-out-of-ten, I-feel-quite-quilty-tbh-for-liking-this saturday night action waffle, with sultry Arterton sauce

Gonna rack my brain for more, as I'm sure there are more. There must be more

You got any to declare? Come on, you'll feel better afterwards!

garbed_attic

I really liked Insidious!

I'm a sucker for ghost trains and it was just one long clunky ghost train. Also, the idea of torture horror creator going for old school chills, pleased me deeply. It didn't make any sense and was utterly dumb, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

wheatgod

Pirahna 3D gets a bad rap but its fucking quality.

Ja'moke

Black Knight, the Martin Lawrence film, it's so obviously shit but I can't help but like it.

phes

Quote from: wheatgod on March 04, 2012, 02:09:41 PM
Pirahna 3D gets a bad rap but its fucking quality.

Loved that film. Plus none of my friends would go watch it with me, so I get to gloat about how much fun it was. There's a definite lack of silly, Saturday night cinema movies like that.

Lee Van Cleef

Hackers is a very bad film really, terrible even.  The whole hacker/youth culture as outsider "futurist" fashion nonces, the ludicrously overdone graphical representations of everything computer-related, the hilariously bad dialogue... hell it's got Jonny Lee Miller, Fisher Stevens and Matthew Lillard in it.

But jeez it's such goofy fun.

SavageHedgehog

I don't think Hackers is a bad film so much as it is wilfully silly and inconsequential, and so alien to reality in a way that I can only presume was (at least partly) intentional. I don't think it was meant to be anything more than a fun ride anyway, and I've always found it to be great fun, so I've never had the heart to actually criticise it. Chuckle at it affectionately; sure. This review sums it up for me nicely.

I've got a bit of a thing for those 90s techno-boom cash-in thrillers; also given The Lawnmower Man, Disclosure and Virtuosity a fair few spins.

Lee Van Cleef

Virtuosity is a whole level of awfulness that I don't want to remember in order to try and comprehend it's badness again.

SavageHedgehog

A villain made out of glass, Traci Lords singing, Max Headroom stuttering, tasteless and unnecessary Saturday Night Fever homage (years before Spider-Man 3), William Forsythe AND William Fichtner... come on, what's not to love? Also the only known evidence that Russell Crowe has a sense of humour.

thugler

Mean girls,

I have seen it about 5 times, entertaining even though it's just fluff.

Don_Preston

3 Dev Adam. Came to my attention through Goldentony. Captain American, Santo, 1973, Turkey, Evil villain Spiderman, moustachioed henchmen, and
Spoiler alert
a death that must've inspired Patrick Bateman
[close]
. A complete head-in-hands mindfuck. But the best film to have a few beers and sit around with friends for a hysterical time.

The full film's here to watch, without subtitles.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7634280864799169516#

NoSleep

3 Dev Adam is the greatest of all Spiderman movies.

My nomination is for Q - The Winged Serpent mostly because of Michael Moriarty's incredible performance throughout. And if the acting wasn't enough his real performance on the piano, together with his mad scat style vocalisations are the icing on the cake. What a man.

McDead

Superman III. It misses Lex Luthor and Lois Lane, but the alternative villains and Smallville setting make for a nice change of pace. And though the chemistry between Reeve and O'Toole is different than that between Reeve and Kidder, it's still nicely played. I also enjoy Lana's oafish, pisshead wannabe-suitor, the 'orrible robot scientist woman at the end, and the best scene in any of the Superman films - the wicked fight between Clark and bad Superman in the junkyard. It suffers cos it looks grubbier than the first two, it tries to be silly but often comes off as stupid, and Pryor almost overbalances the whole thing. It's also TOOOO LOOOOOONG. But I like it a lot.

Dark Sky

Quote from: thugler on March 04, 2012, 03:48:14 PM
Mean girls,

I have seen it about 5 times, entertaining even though it's just fluff.

Stop it, Mean Girls is bloody excellent, and surely one of the most intelligent and witty films of its genre.  Who's said it's shit?!

thenoise

Quote from: Don_Preston on March 04, 2012, 03:48:42 PM
3 Dev Adam. Came to my attention through Goldentony. Captain American, Santo, 1973, Turkey, Evil villain Spiderman, moustachioed henchmen, and
Spoiler alert
a death that must've inspired Patrick Bateman
[close]
. A complete head-in-hands mindfuck. But the best film to have a few beers and sit around with friends for a hysterical time.

The full film's here to watch, without subtitles.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7634280864799169516#

Onar films released a fabulous 'official' dvd, though they are now defunct due to the premature death of the guy who ran it.  Still worth tracking down if you can.  Turkish fantastic/genre films are GREAT.

Famous Mortimer

'Shit'? 59% on Rotten Tomatoes, so probably not. It's absolutely fucking brilliant though. Everything in it is crazy and makes no sense or is just extremely badass. It will be the 00s equivalent of a film like

Commando
which got 69%. It seems film reviewers are getting wise to films like this. One of the most quotable, fun, over-the-top films I've ever seen.

Doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the above two gems, but

Fool's Gold
McConnaughey at his laid-back best, some nonsense plot about some missing treasure or some shit like that. A probably deserved 11%, fun to look at and not as dreadful as that rating would have you believe.

Something Borrowed
I did a thread about romcoms you liked, and this was mine. Because I saw it on a plane, there and back, and it's like having a large bag of quite nice flavoured crisps. Absolutely not worth it, nutrition-wise, but as long as it's not every other day you'll probably be fine. Its ending is so obvious you'll be surprised, because there's no way a film in 2011 would wrap up like that.

Obel

Gamer.

The biggest load of bollocks ever. I absolutely love it.
Another filmmaker probably could have made an intelligent, slow moving social satire using the same themes, but these guys instead made a ridiculous, hammy action movie and I love it.

El Unicornio, mang

Mrs. Doubtfire

Silly schmaltzy Robin Williams cuddly family comedy. But it never fails to raise a smile. "It was a run-by fruiting!"

VegaLA

I loved Resident Evil so much I saw it twice at the Cinema. The scene where the Zombies start shuffling towards the troopers coupled with Marilyn Mansons score really got my blood pumping. I rarely see a movie at the Cinema twice and the last time I did so was for Kill Bill Vol 1. Maybe I just love trash cinema but in my defense I was out of work and had plenty of time to kill in Pasadena.

Big Jack McBastard

You'll buy owt with zombies in it you!

I kind of agree though, I've still not seen it from the start but whenever I catch the last half an hour I think to myself, 'hmmm that's not quite a shit as everyone said, might download that later' and then I never do.

Noodle Lizard

One slow day a couple of weeks ago, a friend and I ended up going to see Journey 2: The Mysterious Island to kill a couple of hours.

Now while the film is without a doubt dreadful, it was probably one of the best cinemagoing experiences I've had in recent memory - so awful that it comes out the other side and ends up being solidly entertaining, whereas any film which is taken seriously by anyone is held up to high standards which ultimately ends in disappointment a lot of the time (for me anyway).

I do recommend seeing it, if only for one of the most shameless crowbarring of 3D I've ever seen (involving berries and The Rock's tits) and Michael Caine riding a giant CGI bumblebee.

alan nagsworth

Die Hard 4.0

It's got a fighter jet trying to shoot a car in a spaghetti junction and also a car flies into a helicopter and blows it up and there's loads of silly hacking and nerd stereotypes and Bruce Willis is perpetually 'too old for this shit'. I loved every minute.

Obel

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 05, 2012, 11:16:26 AM
Die Hard 4.0

It's got a fighter jet trying to shoot a car in a spaghetti junction and also a car flies into a helicopter and blows it up and there's loads of silly hacking and nerd stereotypes and Bruce Willis is perpetually 'too old for this shit'. I loved every minute.

Sadly I think I would have enjoyed it if it wasn't a Die Hard movie. As a Die Hard film I found it insufferable. Every even Die Hard is shit!

phantom_power

Quote from: Obel on March 04, 2012, 08:07:29 PM
Gamer.

The biggest load of bollocks ever. I absolutely love it.
Another filmmaker probably could have made an intelligent, slow moving social satire using the same themes, but these guys instead made a ridiculous, hammy action movie and I love it.

Worth it for Dexter's song and dance routine alone

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 05, 2012, 11:16:26 AM
Die Hard 4.0

I like this one too, although I think it's a genuinely good action movie and my second favourite of the Die Hards. Die Hard 3 is my least favourite.

SavageHedgehog

I thought it was easily the weakest of the lot, but still very entertaining and far, far better than it looked on paper. Not sure it belongs on this list either as it was pretty well received, but those kind of debates could go on forever.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on March 04, 2012, 02:24:54 PM
Hackers is a very bad film really, terrible even.  The whole hacker/youth culture as outsider "futurist" fashion nonces, the ludicrously overdone graphical representations of everything computer-related, the hilariously bad dialogue... hell it's got Jonny Lee Miller, Fisher Stevens and Matthew Lillard in it.

But jeez it's such goofy fun.

Hackers is a great teen film, just that time has made it increasingly daft. That said it is great fun and you must be the only person in the world to fail to mention young Angelina Jolie when talking about it.

Hank Venture

The Room

Tommy Wiseau is a genius. Oh hi, Mark. I'm fed up with this werl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQst2mFlJM

SetToStun

Thir13en Ghosts (the remake with Tony Shalhoub; I haven't seen the original). Utterly bonkers trapped-in-a-house-with-all-evil-ghosts romp that's a terrible film if you take your horror seriously but for a bit of a gruesome laugh it's surprisingly enjoyable.

Puffin Chunks

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jason X is an amazing piece of cinema. Clearly I am correct and the 23,000 people on IMDB who voted it a 4.3 were watching a different film.

It's Jason Voorhees! He's in space!
Spoiler alert
He gets turned into Uber-Jason!
[close]
What's not to love?