Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shit' films which you actually quite like

Started by Custard, March 04, 2012, 11:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vrailaine

I enjoyed Welcome to the Jungle too.

Fast Five is half pretty good, but I wouldn't call it a shit film.

kidsick5000

Quote from: vrailaine on March 06, 2012, 11:03:33 PM
I enjoyed Welcome to the Jungle too.

Fast Five is half pretty good, but I wouldn't call it a shit film.

Shit is a very harsh term. Most of the films here are just utter balls.
Fast Five is a film with huge amounts of "utter balls" moments.
Not least dragging a safe around the city, through building and cars with zero civilian injuries.
Or the even the start where they leap possibly further than anyone can safely leap into water.

SetToStun

Quote from: Cohaagen on March 06, 2012, 04:58:30 PMThe Core is a stone-cold classic. Ridiculous premise, boldly-drawn cartoonish characters that function as moving cliches, rampant implausibility, total ignorance of scientific fact at the most basic level, and it contains this corker of a line:

"Best guess, that's all science is: best guess"

Still, I find that I have to watch it every time it pops up on Sky Sci-Fi or Action, which is usually about twice a week.

Oh dear God yes - that's one I'd almost managed to block from my memory. Dire on so many levels and yet I can't not watch it. So far I've only seen it three or four times, so I've got off lightly. Perhaps I ought to force my other half to watch it - that should be enough to get it banned from our telly for ever.

Jack Shaftoe

My fave fact about The Core: some studio execs wanted there to be a scene where the tunneling drill thing went so far underground they went through some crystal caverns with dinosaurs. The makers chose to fight them on this point, which I think shows a certain mad integrity.

Please to see the love for the first Resident Evil (which I think is a perfectly decent action horror) and Southland Tales (which is a complete failure, but there's something enjoyable about it anyway - I suspect there could have been a really interesting film there if massive self-importance and (I strongly suspect) sudden and easy access to weapons-grade cocaine hadn't fucked it right up. I also like Elektra, despite (or possibly because) Jennifer Garner's face doesn't seem to move throughout.

SetToStun

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on March 07, 2012, 11:49:45 AM
My fave fact about The Core: some studio execs wanted there to be a scene where the tunneling drill thing went so far underground they went through some crystal caverns with dinosaurs. The makers chose to fight them on this point, which I think shows a certain mad integrity.

No! Oh that would have been insane - I'm not sure whether to respect the makers for their gumption, or damn them to Hell for "spoiling" what could have turned out to be one of the most bonkers films ever.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 07, 2012, 05:47:01 AM
Shit is a very harsh term. Most of the films here are just utter balls.
Fast Five is a film with huge amounts of "utter balls" moments.
Not least dragging a safe around the city, through building and cars with zero civilian injuries.
Or the even the start where they leap possibly further than anyone can safely leap into water.

Those are the fun, exciting, well executed bits though. Any moment where Tyrese is supposed to be being funny would be nearer my definition of "utter balls".

Vin Diesel is a frustratingly boring screen presence though, he should be much more fun to watch than he is.

Utter Shit

This might seem a bit of an odd choice but I maintain that Anchorman is essentially a terrible film, albeit one that is hilarious throughout. I absolutely love it, but all logic points to it being a dreadful movie.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: SetToStun on March 07, 2012, 12:06:50 PM
No! Oh that would have been insane - I'm not sure whether to respect the makers for their gumption, or damn them to Hell for "spoiling" what could have turned out to be one of the most bonkers films ever.

I can't remember where I read the original interview, but it gets better: the filmmakers seemed to hint that the execs making these suggestions didn't necessarily think you wouldn't run across dinosaurs if you dug deep enough.

'Anchorman' technically rubbish? What? Explain yourself, sir.

Utter Shit

The plot is pretty much irrelevant and it has relatively few actual 'jokes', almost the entire film is carried by silly turns of phrase that aren't funny in/of themselves, it has ridiculous diversions like the cartoon bit and the Afternoon Delight chorus that have no context and don't go anywhere etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Anchorman - I think it's possibly the funniest film I've ever seen, and remains funny after however many times I've seen it, easily in double figures - but it seems to exist outside of any reasonable expectations of what a film should be.

Similarly there was some film a couple of years ago called Balls Out that again seemed to not really be about anything, and had few notable gags, but was hilarious from start to finish. Both films seem to rely entirely on the tone for the humour, rather than funny plots or loads of definable jokes.

I do accept that Anchorman a bit of an odd choice - for whatever reason, the film definitely WORKS, so there's no real justification for calling it shit...I just think it is great in a way that defies logic or typical expectations for a comic film...even if it is great, it SHOULD be shit, IMO.

Maybe on safer ground, but Freddy Got Fingered is wilfully, irredeemably stupid throughout, but I can't help but find most of it very, very funny.

Famous Mortimer

I mean, seems a silly thing to have a big debate about, but I disagree that it's carried by its tone. Bits which are definitely words written to get laughs - the prank phone calls to Veronica, any of Brick's dialogue, the on air feud over the co-anchor position...and so on.

Any weakness in the plot (although, like you, it's maybe my favourite comedy film ever and the plot is as much as it needs to be to service the comedy) might be put down to the other film, "Wake Up Ron Burgundy", which from the opening voiceover would indicate that it was the "original" plot of the film but didn't test well. That they had enough other footage to make a whole new decent comedy film indicates just how good the original was, and how everyone involved was really on top form.

I bet they wished they could have put Champ's "I love you" speech in the main film, because it's absolutely hilarious...problem being they don't really drive anywhere together in the film.

holyzombiejesus

The Neil Israel directed Combat Academy.

The practical joke loving Max Mendelsson and his nerdy, stuttering sidekick, Perry Barnett, decide to set a number of pranks for the opening day of high school. They wire up firecrackers to the clocks, stuff the principal's desk drawers full of pigeons, put a pig in the girls' toilets (and change the boy/ girl signs), all to the brilliant soundtrack of Twisted Sister's Be Cruel To Your School. The Principal, having had enough of their japes, excludes them but on their way home, Max decides to play one last trick on some workmen repairing a water pipe. Hilarity ensues. They are caught and sentenced to serve some time in the titular military school, although not before Max winds up one of the head honchos (played by debutant George Clooney). Lessons are learned as we follow the Amiable Zanies' (as Max christens himself and Perry) progress through the academy. Who's stealing property from the other students? Will Max ever grow up? Will Perry's strict disciplinarian father accept him for what he is? How did Max manage to smuggle a life size plastic dinosaur onto the campus?

Gulftastic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 07, 2012, 03:45:10 PM
The Neil Israel directed Combat Academy.

Exactly the sort of film I would consider borrowing from my local video shop in my teen years, before noticing it was a PG and hastily moving on to consider one of the Lemon Popsicle films.

holyzombiejesus

You can watch the first bit here; I highly recommend that you keep watching until 5:04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IX8XDwpDEg

The height of 80s cool, The Amiable Zanies; Perry Barnett is the one on the left, Max Mendelsson is on the right.

SavageHedgehog

I like the bit at the end after
Spoiler alert
Max has matured and Perry says "I think I'm gonna kinda miss the old, wacky Max". Then Max proves he's still got his edge by pulling a prank where he, I dunno, lets off a few fireworks or something pretty unimpressive.
[close]

I was amazed by how expensive some of the stuff in Wake Up Ron Burgandy! seemed. In truth I'd say it has a better finale

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on March 07, 2012, 08:15:28 PM
I like the bit at the end after
Spoiler alert
Max has matured and Perry says "I think I'm gonna kinda miss the old, wacky Max". Then Max proves he's still got his edge by pulling a prank where he, I dunno, lets off a few fireworks or something pretty unimpressive.
[close]

I was amazed by how expensive some of the stuff in Wake Up Ron Burgandy! seemed. In truth I'd say it has a better finale

He says that he's
Spoiler alert
going to burn all his old prank-filled notebooks
[close]
. He
Spoiler alert
puts them on a fire that happens to be nearby
[close]
and, hey presto!

Custard

I might well break the thread here, but I find the dinner scene in Scary Movie 2 hilarious. HILARIOUS

*Runs*
*Ducks*
*Runs some more*

EDIT - OH GO ON THEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNRBgqbKLM

Santa's Boyfriend

Tremors.  A surprisingly entertaining movie, despite being utterly crap and stupid.

Jack Burton

Howling VI: The Freaks, an atmospheric, low-key entry in the series with an excellent turn from Bruce Payne as a v... oh wait I don't want to spoil it.  Sufficed to say Underworld has a lot to learn.

Also I wholeheartedly agree with Combat Academy,  flicking his meat on to "I smell bacon"'s head is a classic 80's comedy moment.

Mini

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 07, 2012, 01:44:59 PM
This might seem a bit of an odd choice but I maintain that Anchorman is essentially a terrible film, albeit one that is hilarious throughout. I absolutely love it, but all logic points to it being a dreadful movie.

I can't work out if that's the case or if it's just brilliant. I suspect you might be right.

I like Derailed, which is probably awful. I mean, Jennifer Aniston is in it. But so is Vincent Cassel so swings and roundabouts

wheatgod

The trailer for Piranha 3DD came out recently... this time it looks like utter shit, rather than amazing shit.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on March 07, 2012, 10:23:54 PM
Tremors.  A surprisingly entertaining movie, despite being utterly crap and stupid.

In no way is Tremors a crap film! You are just about the first person I've ever seen call it such.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on March 07, 2012, 10:23:54 PM

You have misunderstood the splendid tongue-in-cheek B-movie homage that is Tremors.

SetToStun

Quite right - Tremors is a total classic and doesn't strike a single wrong note. The sequels get steadily worse, admittedly, but the original is a masterpiece.

CaledonianGonzo

Similar to The Core, The Day After Tomorrow is disaster movie hokum of the first order.

I'll also nominate mutant shark actioner Deep Blue Sea.  Popcorn fare with not much flair but fun to spare.

Phil_A

Commando is possibly my favourite "shit" film. It's the archetypal "Arnie slaughters hundreds of guys single-handed while making crap puns" movie, but every aspect of it is so gleefully absurd and over the top that it achieves a kind of brilliance. And it has possibly the most quotable script outside of Withnail & I. "I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN!"

Along similiar lines, Taken is a film that by all logic I should hate due to it's absurdly xenophobic premise, but there's something about the sheer thrill of seeing Liam fucking Neeson neck-snapping his way through the French criminal underworld that makes it a visceral pleasure. I can't wait to see him do it all over again in the upcoming sequel.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: wheatgod on March 07, 2012, 11:28:11 PM
The trailer for Piranha 3DD came out recently... this time it looks like utter shit, rather than amazing shit.

Yeah, it seems like they've decided to just go ridiculously over the top (Let's get the Hoff in! Make Christopher Lloyd even more OTT! Include even bigger chested ladies!) so the silliness seems forced this time around. I hope to be proved wrong, but I'd be surprised if it's any good.

Quote from: Shameless on March 07, 2012, 09:21:47 PM
I might well break the thread here, but I find the dinner scene in Scary Movie 2 hilarious. HILARIOUS

*Runs*
*Ducks*
*Runs some more*

EDIT - OH GO ON THEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNRBgqbKLM

I'm vaguely fond of both the first two movies, the rest were rubbish, but 1 & 2 had the odd very funny moment in them. Plus David Cross, wearily picking up a pay cheque for another movie he despises being in yet again!

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Phil_A on March 08, 2012, 10:04:08 AM
Commando is possibly my favourite "shit" film. It's the archetypal "Arnie slaughters hundreds of guys single-handed while making crap puns" movie, but every aspect of it is so gleefully absurd and over the top that it achieves a kind of brilliance. And it has possibly the most quotable script outside of Withnail & I. "I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN!"

Along similiar lines, Taken is a film that by all logic I should hate due to it's absurdly xenophobic premise, but there's something about the sheer thrill of seeing Liam fucking Neeson neck-snapping his way through the French criminal underworld that makes it a visceral pleasure. I can't wait to see him do it all over again in the upcoming sequel.
Hmmmm. I wanted Taken to be a 21st century Commando, but it's just not quite right. The fights and car chases and all that are extremely competently done, but it lacks the lightness of something like Commando. It just doesn't have the same spark, and I think it's because it doesn't have a proper baddie. In Commando you've got Bennett as the final boss. You see what he's up to, learn about his history with Matrix, and become familiar with his moustache and chain-mail vest. The whole film leads up to their gloriously homo-erotic showdown. Taken doesn't have anybody like that. There's nobody as distinctive or memorable or weird as Bennett. The final boss is a guy with a cool knife, but we only meet him just before Neeson shows up to crush him, which he does with relative ease. They've created this insane, invincible action hero, but they don't give him anybody to properly fight. Hopefully they fix it in the new one.

However, I do like it when Neeson goes up to the kidnapper to (you assume) question him, and then
Spoiler alert
immediately smashes his head into a car
[close]

Mini

Terminator Salvation. I think Mark Kermode calls it Terminator Salivation. It is nothingness. But it's fun nothingness.

El Unicornio, mang

Speaking of which, Terminator 3. I mean, it's no Terminator or T2, but it has a sexy female Terminator and some decent action scenes. It takes the piss out of the Terminator films ("she'll be back", "the wacky sunglasses", etc) and has an odd ending, which take it out of canon for me, but I still think it's pretty good fun.

Custard

There was a rumour a few months back online, that Arnie was onboard for a 'real' third film, and that they were just gonna pretend the released 3 and Salvation never happened.

I quite like 3, even though it's basically the second film reheated and knocked-out with a saucy woman in it instead of the T-1000. There's a very good fan-edit about, which lops off a lot of the attempts at humour,and the more stupid moments, and it makes for a much stronger film, which is nearer the feel and tone of the first two.

A lot of people deemed the telly 'reimagining', The Sarah Conner Chronicles shit, but despite the budget not quite matching the ideas, I enjoyed it. Shame it got booted after two seasons, as it was much better than the last two film instalments

I did love how they brought Arnie into Salvation, though. Another film along those sorta lines could work, with Arnie also maybe appearing, non-CGI'ed, as the older version of the man the terminators were modelled on to begin with. Oh, and James Cameron back, obviously. Fucking McG. Really?