Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:04:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz Highlights

Started by Theremin, March 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Fantastic (never heard "dunky" before though)

Jittlebags

Dunky, Jizzbag, Jubber Ronny. Sheer poetry all of them.

PowerButchi

"A dunky, and it's full of jitler" from a Jack Black years ago is the greatest sentence I've ever read.

Jittlebags

I think my favourite is from the Rotating Chin Men - "I couldn't possibly crown a Queen who's eyebrows are all matted with spunk. It could be unconstitutional".
In fact I think it's one of my favourite strips, maybe along with 'Capain Oates, the Polar Explorer who loves exploring his own pole.'.

Cold Meat Platter

Vibrating Bum-faced Goats is another one of his classics

"That's not what vibrating goat keeping is all about."

SpiderChrist

That Gilbert Ratchet strip.

Glorious.

the science eel

He's a genius, that fella.

What's the name of the dude he sort of imitates, style-wise? the Beano (?) man? Dudley Watkins?

stonkers

Quote from: the science eel on December 31, 2020, 08:04:04 PM

What's the name of the dude he sort of imitates, style-wise? the Beano (?) man? Dudley Watkins?

Yeah it's a general Beano / Dandy take off but it's very Dudley Watkins

Shoulders?-Stomach!

madhair60

Pink Gregory

Harold and Fred, they make ladies dead!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Blumf

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 01, 2021, 11:45:30 AM
Harold and Fred, they make ladies dead!

Day by day, regretting not having this mug:

sheddyian

Quote from: the science eel on December 31, 2020, 08:04:04 PM

There's more than a bit of Leo Baxendale in his style as well. And the inspiration for Gilbert Ratchet isnt hard to spot in Baxendale's Clever Dick.

gib

Quote from: sheddyian on January 01, 2021, 11:01:17 PMBaxendale's Clever Dick.

quick image search for this and the first one i looked at was

Ferris

sheddyian

Quote from: gib on January 01, 2021, 11:51:22 PM
quick image search for this and the first one i looked at was

(...)

That looks like a later cartoon of Clever Dick, drawn by Martin Baxendale. The earlier Leo Baxendale ones are better in my opinion. There's the feel of the earlier Martin Baxendale ones in there, but not quite the same.

(I think Leo and Martin are Father & son, but may be wrong)

But what do I know? I tried to insert an image of a Leo Baxendale Clever Dick in my earlier post and I failed.

Blumf

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: sheddyian on January 01, 2021, 11:01:17 PM
There's more than a bit of Leo Baxendale in his style as well. And the inspiration for Gilbert Ratchet isnt hard to spot in Baxendale's Clever Dick.

Jones was on the Rule Of Three podcast discussing his love of Leo Baxendale, made me go out and get the Willy The Kid compilations.

pupshaw

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 02, 2021, 05:05:06 AM
Jones was on the Rule Of Three podcast discussing his love of Leo Baxendale, made me go out and get the Willy The Kid compilations.

I gave a copy of "It's a funny business" to a friend once, and when he died I wish I had got it back.

The best Baxendale is the late 50's Bash Street Kids, but at the same time he was doing Little Plum, the Three Bears and Minnie the Minx.
I was very familiar with all these strips when I was little, but a few years later I bought a collection of Beanos from 1960,
when he might have been still doing all 4 strips every week.
I don't have them anymore, but I remember one strip where you see Teacher's car. It has a big wind-up key sticking out of the side
It's such a cliche joke, but it's pulled off so brilliantly in a tiny, tiny space in a strip packed with little jokes.

the

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 02, 2021, 05:05:06 AMJones was on the Rule Of Three podcast discussing his love of Leo Baxendale, made me go out and get the Willy The Kid compilations.

I'm not into comics at all, but that discussion did resonate with me as I was introduced to the Willy The Kid Book 2 when I was about 10 and had a similar reaction to the mad hilariousness of it.

The Davey Jones episode of Rule Of Three is incredibly satisfying, for anyone who hasn't heard it. Episode

There's also something of interest in the comments here

sheddyian

A few years back, Davy Jones did a Viz strip in a very Baxendale style.

I remember letting out an audible "ooh" as I saw it, it felt very nostalgic. But I don't remember what it was.

Gurke and Hare

As great as Gilbert Ratchet is, I think Tinribs is even better.

Poor old Mr Snodworthy.

Pink Gregory

He makes the best pain noises - "GEEP!"

also love how as time goes on the persistence of teachers with gowns and mortarboards becomes sillier and sillier. 

The cock and ball torture of Mr Snodworthy is something I've associated with Viz for as long as I can remember. Bless his cottons.

madhair60

the

Doesn't that one go on to say something like 'you're so thick you don't obey the laws of perspective', and 'I think they might've done this joke on Father Ted'?

ajsmith2

Enjoyed Britpop Pop Bri in the new one.

justin_bennett

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 10, 2021, 09:28:18 AM
Enjoyed Britpop Pop Bri in the new one.

Yes!  Had a cringe at that and realised how many late-period Oasis tracks I am somehow aware of.  Farmer / Healey innit?