Author Topic: Viz Highlights  (Read 242375 times)

Re: Viz Highlights
« Reply #1080 on: February 05, 2021, 01:11:09 AM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gbjb8p6c2yb7xWC56

'kinell, first three frames killed me.

« Reply #1081 on: February 05, 2021, 07:38:20 AM »
Not very often you see John Cage's 4' 33'' referenced in a comic strip. Davy Jones is Viz's "national treasure" for sure.

« Reply #1082 on: February 06, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »
Talking about obscures musical references

« Reply #1083 on: February 07, 2021, 11:17:36 PM »
Came across (Fnaaar) this one on my recent toilet odyssey

« Reply #1084 on: March 25, 2021, 03:35:44 PM »

The latest issue is a weird one.  There are a couple of strips/artists that seem to be new.  They’re not very good, but I applaud the effort.

Also, I’ve no idea what is going on on the cover. I’m used to the covers these days just parodying some reference that has nothing to do with what’s in the mag but this one has stumped me. It’s got a load of characters standing round a table in near darkness while Johnny fart pants pumps into a tube so a parrot in a glass bowl can be asphyxiated. Roger Mellie has long hair for some reason. Is it a spoof of some painting?

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #1085 on: March 25, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »
I've searched and searched for the centre-page "Make your own bathtime fireworks display" thing they did, early or mid-90s maybe? Similarly the Battle of Britain diorama which involved capturing and decorating butterflies with RAF insignia and using moths as the luftwaffe (not to mention snail with a matchstick cigar as Churchill and an angry beetle, or maybe it was a spider, as Hitler). No trace online, presumably they never made it to the annuals or something. I'd love to see them again, they were up there with the commemorative plates and the beach-drinking doll. Kind of wish I'd kept every issue of Viz I ever bought.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #1086 on: March 25, 2021, 03:52:18 PM »
The latest issue is a weird one.  There are a couple of strips/artists that seem to be new.  They’re not very good, but I applaud the effort.

Also, I’ve no idea what is going on on the cover. I’m used to the covers these days just parodying some reference that has nothing to do with what’s in the mag but this one has stumped me. It’s got a load of characters standing round a table in near darkness while Johnny fart pants pumps into a tube so a parrot in a glass bowl can be asphyxiated. Roger Mellie has long hair for some reason. Is it a spoof of some painting?

Is it this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Experiment_on_a_Bird_in_the_Air_Pump

EDIT: Just checked, and it is. You are clearly too uncultured to be reading highbrow stuff like Viz!

« Reply #1087 on: March 25, 2021, 03:52:51 PM »
I fucking love Oor Wullie. And parodies.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

• Living proof of everything wrong with the world
« Reply #1088 on: March 25, 2021, 03:55:23 PM »
The Google Docs strip is fantastic

« Reply #1089 on: March 26, 2021, 06:03:31 AM »
Is it this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Experiment_on_a_Bird_in_the_Air_Pump

EDIT: Just checked, and it is. You are clearly too uncultured to be reading highbrow stuff like Viz!

Aaahh. Well there we go. Thank you. I figured it would be something like this but my knowledge on 18th century British painters is nowhere near as strong as my knowledge of farts and horrific shites and that.

« Reply #1090 on: March 26, 2021, 06:06:20 AM »
I've searched and searched for the centre-page "Make your own bathtime fireworks display" thing they did, early or mid-90s maybe? Similarly the Battle of Britain diorama which involved capturing and decorating butterflies with RAF insignia and using moths as the luftwaffe (not to mention snail with a matchstick cigar as Churchill and an angry beetle, or maybe it was a spider, as Hitler). No trace online, presumably they never made it to the annuals or something. I'd love to see them again, they were up there with the commemorative plates and the beach-drinking doll. Kind of wish I'd kept every issue of Viz I ever bought.

I’ve got nearly all viz editions since number 99, and I read through both these recently while on the big. Let me see if I can find and post them.  There are a good number of excellent magazine parodies too. ‘Blobstrop’ and ´Practical Pub Fighting’ are two that I revisited recently.