Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz Highlights

Started by Theremin, March 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not very often you see John Cage's 4' 33'' referenced in a comic strip. Davy Jones is Viz's "national treasure" for sure.

Pauline Walnuts

Talking about obscures musical references

Cold Meat Platter

Came across (Fnaaar) this one on my recent toilet odyssey

badaids

The latest issue is a weird one.  There are a couple of strips/artists that seem to be new.  They're not very good, but I applaud the effort.

Also, I've no idea what is going on on the cover. I'm used to the covers these days just parodying some reference that has nothing to do with what's in the mag but this one has stumped me. It's got a load of characters standing round a table in near darkness while Johnny fart pants pumps into a tube so a parrot in a glass bowl can be asphyxiated. Roger Mellie has long hair for some reason. Is it a spoof of some painting?

Rizla

I've searched and searched for the centre-page "Make your own bathtime fireworks display" thing they did, early or mid-90s maybe? Similarly the Battle of Britain diorama which involved capturing and decorating butterflies with RAF insignia and using moths as the luftwaffe (not to mention snail with a matchstick cigar as Churchill and an angry beetle, or maybe it was a spider, as Hitler). No trace online, presumably they never made it to the annuals or something. I'd love to see them again, they were up there with the commemorative plates and the beach-drinking doll. Kind of wish I'd kept every issue of Viz I ever bought.

Blumf

Quote from: badaids on March 25, 2021, 03:35:44 PM
The latest issue is a weird one.  There are a couple of strips/artists that seem to be new.  They're not very good, but I applaud the effort.

Also, I've no idea what is going on on the cover. I'm used to the covers these days just parodying some reference that has nothing to do with what's in the mag but this one has stumped me. It's got a load of characters standing round a table in near darkness while Johnny fart pants pumps into a tube so a parrot in a glass bowl can be asphyxiated. Roger Mellie has long hair for some reason. Is it a spoof of some painting?

Is it this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Experiment_on_a_Bird_in_the_Air_Pump

EDIT: Just checked, and it is. You are clearly too uncultured to be reading highbrow stuff like Viz!

Kankurette

I fucking love Oor Wullie. And parodies.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

The Google Docs strip is fantastic

badaids

Quote from: Blumf on March 25, 2021, 03:52:18 PM
Is it this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Experiment_on_a_Bird_in_the_Air_Pump

EDIT: Just checked, and it is. You are clearly too uncultured to be reading highbrow stuff like Viz!

Aaahh. Well there we go. Thank you. I figured it would be something like this but my knowledge on 18th century British painters is nowhere near as strong as my knowledge of farts and horrific shites and that.

badaids

Quote from: Rizla on March 25, 2021, 03:51:47 PM
I've searched and searched for the centre-page "Make your own bathtime fireworks display" thing they did, early or mid-90s maybe? Similarly the Battle of Britain diorama which involved capturing and decorating butterflies with RAF insignia and using moths as the luftwaffe (not to mention snail with a matchstick cigar as Churchill and an angry beetle, or maybe it was a spider, as Hitler). No trace online, presumably they never made it to the annuals or something. I'd love to see them again, they were up there with the commemorative plates and the beach-drinking doll. Kind of wish I'd kept every issue of Viz I ever bought.

I've got nearly all viz editions since number 99, and I read through both these recently while on the big. Let me see if I can find and post them.  There are a good number of excellent magazine parodies too. 'Blobstrop' and ´Practical Pub Fighting' are two that I revisited recently.

badaids

Flicking through some old copies of Viz and saw those horrible and desperately unfunny adverts for Club de Fromage and Coffin Dodgers Disco etc... let's hope that COVID has killed them off forever. I really despise them.

I was hate intrigued enough to look on you tube and sure enough there are clips of their club nights which seem to play the same tired old Come On Eileen stuff with added crazy 18-30 games as opposed to where subversive image they  try and portray. Will anyone on here admit to going to one?

Famous Mortimer

I'll admit to going on the Aqua Velvas Youtube page, to find a bunch of very very bad songs with viewerships in the three figures. Like, however cheap advertising in Viz is, they've definitely lost money on the deal.

pupshaw

Interesting Viz fact.

Beano comic. Started July 1938. Age of Beano at time of first issue of Viz (Dec 79): 41 years

Current age of Viz comic: 41 years.

Rizla

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jul/26/how-we-made-viz

I'm almost impressed that they've not managed to correctly identify a single one of the four original creators in the photo.

Jittlebags

Nice introduction of Dominic Cummings as the Puppet Shitmaster in the current issue.

kalowski

ColinPopshed

I haven't seen it since but I remember when Bill 'Compo' Owen died (1999), they did one of their silly exclusives which treated Owen and Compo as separate entities. "Compo, 23" was said to be devastated by his role coming to an end while "Bill Owen, dead" was unavailable for comment or something. Really made me laugh and I wish I still had it.

ajsmith2

Quote from: ColinPopshed on August 12, 2021, 11:42:10 PM
I haven't seen it since but I remember when Bill 'Compo' Owen died (1999), they did one of their silly exclusives which treated Owen and Compo as separate entities. "Compo, 23" was said to be devastated by his role coming to an end while "Bill Owen, dead" was unavailable for comment or something. Really made me laugh and I wish I still had it.

Headlined 'Owen De-'Compo'-ses' I believe. I think I've still got the annual that ones in, will try and see if I can get it scanned for you if that's any help.

ColinPopshed

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 13, 2021, 07:18:56 AM
Headlined 'Owen De-'Compo'-ses' I believe. I think I've still got the annual that ones in, will try and see if I can get it scanned for you if that's any help.

That's very thoughtful and kind of you, thankyou. Please don't worry however, I fear my memory of it might amuse me more than the thing itself :)

Blumf

Current issue (Oct) has an absolute stonker from Davey Jones; 'Richard Branson's Space Shuffle'

Don't spoil it, just read it right now!

Yes, a real highlight in a particularly crap issue. Very few of the strips have punchlines that land properly. It's like a compilation of first drafts.

Also enjoyed Farmer and Healey's Tip-Top strip, but they really let the side down with that Male Online. It's just a shit version of this unused draft for a one-off:

13 schoolyards

I think Farmer's said that the production process involves him sending his drafts into Viz HQ, where they either give them the thumbs up or thumbs down. So it's probably not surprising that he occasionally reworks knocked back ideas, especially when it seems some of the Farmer / Healey regulars are more popular than others - I think he tweeted once that Viz wasn't that keen on any more of those "We Buy" strips, which is a real shame.

Blumf

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 16, 2021, 04:00:18 PM
...they really let the side down with that Male Online. It's just a shit version of this unused draft for a one-off:

That version is a lot better than the Male Online.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Yeah this latest issue was very meh. But I'm currently checking out All Good Things' new album, as it was advertised on the back cover and looked like just the kind of nu-metal shite I enjoy. And it is!

Really enjoyed Joe, 90 and Hey, Hey It's The Monkees (if only for alerting me to the phrase "shitting over nine hedges") from the current issue.

gib

i haven't received the current issue yet. When did it come out?

Quote from: gib on October 25, 2021, 12:20:22 PM

Current issue was on sale from 14th October, apparently.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: gib on October 25, 2021, 12:20:22 PM
I've not received one yet either. My account says it was sent on 14th October.

If you use Dennis Publishing subscription, you can apparently request a missing issue on their website.

Sonny_Jim

Yeah I've had to use that a few times, there was a point early this year where it multiple issues never turned up.  I always rang them up though, didnt realise there was an online one.