Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz Highlights

Started by Theremin, March 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: New Jack on July 02, 2018, 12:09:12 PM
Major Misunderstanding is a bit more relevant today, if you imagine he's a gammon Brexiteer or whatever shafts your raft

Millie basically seems a bit 90s. Suppose they could do a tiring activist character or something. That could be a thriller for your flotilla

A tired activist who frustratedly ignores the real day to day struggles of the people they're supposedly fighting for might have legs. Means well but can't quite get that a lot of the people they're fighting for can't just spend their way out of difficulty or casually bin work at ultra short notice. A holier than thou approach that belies an undercurrent of classism to the whole thing. Spends days writing wistful thinkpieces about Why Oh Why Didn't The People I Spent Three Years Berating As Animalistic Simpletons Vote The Way I Told Them To?

New Jack

Yeah, that sort of thing. Constant outrage, obsessed with lofty yet vaguely middle class ideals while ignoring the shit around her she could address but doesn't see.

Charity advert showing starving kids on TV. 'Fucks sake. They're propagating a negative image of black youth!' Things are ripe for a poke at, say, priorities, rather than castigating a whole movement.

Writes itself! Well, it should. We're stuck with Millie I suspect. Found it a bit odd one recent strip ended with her being a bit of a Fat Slag.

Sebastian Cobb

Tant and Grant Could've shacked up by now and had an absolutely insufferable child.

Blumf

Huh, no mention of The Modern Parents yet?

https://78.media.tumblr.com/8faf7285db0ad21f249c004bd78b19ea/tumblr_n06huwgEnr1s8su8go1_1280.jpg

Also found this very old strip, Woolly Wilfy Wichardson, which is a real fab scene, yeah?:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGs5AAtXcAEbHn2.jpg

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Blumf on July 02, 2018, 04:56:50 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGs5AAtXcAEbHn2.jpg

I don't agree with the basis of that character, but I did find the senseless violence of this strip very funny.

One of the most recent Viz mags turned up in my lavatorium recently and I must say I find little to no humour in any of the comics now. The articles are still fucking great - the two-page spread on The Grapes of Roth, including all the film bloopers about digital watches, had me laughing no end - but most other content leaves me totally dry.

Ferris

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 02, 2018, 08:49:29 PM
I don't agree with the basis of that character, but I did find the senseless violence of this strip very funny.

One of the most recent Viz mags turned up in my lavatorium recently and I must say I find little to no humour in any of the comics now. The articles are still fucking great - the two-page spread on The Grapes of Roth, including all the film bloopers about digital watches, had me laughing no end - but most other content leaves me totally dry.

Nonsense, the Ed Sheehan strip a few months back had me howling (and forced me to buy an international subscription because I liked it so much). I still think of it from time to time.

mr. logic

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Gervais strip in the newest issue.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 02, 2018, 06:55:16 AM
Remember that strip from the late 80s about the young man who cites himself as an alternative comic.  Asked for an example of his humour, the person requesting this is nonplussed when he answers, "Mrs Thatcher, what a cunt, eh!?  Woo-hoh!  Right on!" He tries to organise a boycott of a local fruit seller over 'South African' stock, which turns out to be from the EEC.  He tries to organise a benefit gig in support of freedom for the Guildford Four, to find out they are already free.  Finally, a man asks if he will perform for the Young Conservatives ball.  "Certainly not!" he says, looking away, looking disgusted-but does a double-take when offered a large sum, cash-in-hand.  The final frame has him on stage with a microphone, tuxedo and bow-tie, before an audience of smartly-dressed laughing young toffs, saying, "...and so the two puffs walk into the pub, and the barmaid's got massive tits..."

I think this is 'Lenny Left - He's Right-on!' Assumed it was having a dig at Ben Elton, who they seemed to have it in for at the time.

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on June 07, 2018, 07:07:02 AM
There's a podcast interview with Davey Jones that should appear here soon https://www.ruleofthreepod.com/. It's already up on itunes.

Cheers for the heads up and for bringing to my attention a new podcast to subscribe to.

Listening to it made me burst out laughing at some of the classic Viz titles that were in the back of my memory and some that I'd forgotten, Diana Ross' Dogshit Museum in particular had me cracking up and of course being reminded of glory that is Paul Daniels' Jetski Journey to the Centre of Elvis.

New Jack

Quote from: mr. logic on July 03, 2018, 09:47:42 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Gervais strip in the newest issue.

I liked it, as I am wont to do with anti-Gervaisian things, though think the recent Jimmy Carr strip was superior

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: New Jack on July 04, 2018, 09:46:25 AM
I liked it, as I am wont to do with anti-Gervaisian things, though think the recent Jimmy Carr strip was superior

Didn't rate either of them. Maybe it's the artist, I never enjoy his strips

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 02, 2018, 06:55:16 AM
Remember that strip from the late 80s about the young man who cites himself as an alternative comic.  Asked for an example of his humour, the person requesting this is nonplussed when he answers, "Mrs Thatcher, what a cunt, eh!?  Woo-hoh!  Right on!" .... The final frame has him on stage with a microphone, tuxedo and bow-tie, before an audience of smartly-dressed laughing young toffs, saying, "...and so the two puffs walk into the pub, and the barmaid's got massive tits..."

yeah i remember that one. laughed at the time.

am i misremembering or was he drawn somewhat like Ben Elton ?

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 02, 2018, 03:30:10 PM
A tired activist who frustratedly ignores the real day to day struggles of the people they're supposedly fighting for might have legs. Means well but ....

havent they already done something like that ?

although maybe just as part of the aforementioned Modern Parents.

thenoise

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 02, 2018, 03:30:10 PM
A tired activist who frustratedly ignores the real day to day struggles of the people they're supposedly fighting for might have legs. Means well but can't quite get that a lot of the people they're fighting for can't just spend their way out of difficulty or casually bin work at ultra short notice. A holier than thou approach that belies an undercurrent of classism to the whole thing. Spends days writing wistful thinkpieces about Why Oh Why Didn't The People I Spent Three Years Berating As Animalistic Simpletons Vote The Way I Told Them To?
Less Andrea Dworkin, more Germaine Greer?

Just got this issue and the royal sex doll "sluice back and front this time" bit had me grinning and grimacing which is what Barney Farmer and Lee Healey seem to have been put on this planet to make people do.

Sebastian Cobb

Really like the Barney Farmer stuff. Drunken Bakers is an alcoholic waiting for godot and the Male Online is brilliant, especially as he apparently now leaves his desk. Oh and the We buy gold/hair /jsa stern bloke.

Blumf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 07, 2018, 03:16:29 PM
Oh and the We buy gold/hair /jsa stern bloke.

Does that vicious jobs-worth character have a name?

Harold Angryperson

Quote from: Isnt Anything on July 04, 2018, 05:32:00 PM

am i misremembering or was he drawn somewhat like Ben Elton ?

Nah, nothing like Elton, Lenny Left was drawn like a cross between a minor member of Dexy's Midnight Runners in their dungarees and beards days, except in the last frame where he was done up like a Northern club comic with a tuxedo and a flower on his lapel.

Viz did include fair likenesses of Elton on occasion though, most memorably in a strip called Page Three School which had Fox, Whittaker, Lusardi and so on in their school days (going to school naked from the waist up) and you had Ben Elton on a bus, wearing his spangly suit, and telling another passenger 'I think this is demeaning and degrading, yes indeed' while the other fella said 'there's nothing wrong with a pretty girl showing what she's got'. Words to that effect.

Ferris

Quote from: New Jack on July 04, 2018, 09:46:25 AM

Agree - the Carr one was funnier. Just got my international subscription copy (grrr weeks behind)

The Sting of the Dump strip had me going. Terrific.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2018, 01:19:09 AM
Sting of the Dump

Ha! I knew that was going to get mentioned here as soon as I turned the page:

[Little Charlie falls down a mountain of rubbish]

At the bottom, he saw a strange twat...

"Wow! It's Sting! What are you doing here?"

"I fell out of my private jet on my way to an ecological conference."

Ferris

It was tremendous. I'm going to go and read it again.

Just the memory of it is making me laugh.

The Bumlord

I love that they're still taking the piss out of Sting after all these years.

Do any youngsters read Viz? Half of it must be completely incomprehensible to them.

the

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on June 07, 2018, 07:07:02 AMThere's a podcast interview with Davey Jones that should appear here soon https://www.ruleofthreepod.com/. It's already up on itunes.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. A great listen, and the story about the ride-on Vibrating Bum-Faced Goat had me in stitches.

Thanks to a link in some comments, I also got my hands on PDFs of the Willy The Kid books - the second of which I haven't seen since I was about 10.

New Jack

Speedy Spanners garage, in Wellington Street, Stapleford, showcases the Spanner Man on its signs and waiting area, drawn by Viz editor Graham Dury.

Hecate

Quote from: Utterdrivel on July 24, 2018, 11:27:53 AM

Do any youngsters read Viz? Half of it must be completely incomprehensible to them.

They'll know him through his work with Shaggy, surely.

Remember that strip with the boy who thinks he is Christ and tries to crucify himself?  I remember reading that in the late 80s.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 24, 2018, 06:45:44 PM
Remember that strip with the boy who thinks he is Christ and tries to crucify himself?  I remember reading that in the late 80s.

My first thought was Ivan Jelical, but thinking a bit more, I do remember a strip where the kid was walking stupidly, and his Dad shouts 'And stop moving in a mysterious way!', so it's probably that one.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That last but one panel of Woolly Wilfy is astounding

Yep, their vendettas against Sting and Morrisey abide with them and their readership. What I love about them is their hatred predates my readership (circa 1989) and I had yet to understand the reason for their animosity at such a tender age.

Rocket Surgery

Don't forget Bono. Eternal walking punchline in his daft fucking sunglasses.

Ferris

I'm under 35, a new reader, and think it is brilliant.