Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:16:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz Highlights

Started by Theremin, March 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 24, 2018, 06:45:44 PM
Remember that strip with the boy who thinks he is Christ and tries to crucify himself?  I remember reading that in the late 80s.

Googling, I think it's Sam, Son of Man, though I can't find any images or copies of old strips.

eifion

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 25, 2018, 06:04:33 AM
Googling, I think it's Sam, Son of Man, though I can't find any images or copies of old strips.

Young Stan, Son of Man, wasn't it? All I can remember about it is his dad saying "And stop moving in a mysterious way!"

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 25, 2018, 01:58:50 AM
I'm under 35, a new reader, and think it is brilliant.

That's not young. I'm 25 and been buying it monthly for about 6 years. Always had annuals in the house.

New Jack

Odd advert in the new Viz.

DATE ME? with a bloke's selfie (bald obvs)

Went to his website and its got an application form. Wow, these data mining websites are getting trickier and tricker!

Can't be arsed watching the video on his site to see if it's a joke or simply toe-curlingly awkward. Though maybe he's a fan of British Wrestling while listening to the Aqua Velvas too?? Hey, we both read Viz...

Anyone else into the Water Boatmen? Note to self, if you ever want to sell music, try other avenues before Viz, as it has the honk of failure about it

Tony Yeboah

Not a great issue this month but the Star Letter is a cracker.

New Jack

Boy, new issue isn't worth talking about huh?

Well the fridge magnets were quite good

The Giggling Bean

I'm sure I've asked this before but I don't suppose anyone has, or could point me in the direction of any, off air copies of the Viz animations from the 90s? Particularly episodic versions of Billy The Fish and Roger Mellie. I know there's DVDs available but I presume they're transfers of the omnibus VHS versions.

There's an animation title sequence for The Further Adventures Of Billy The Fish which I haven't seen since the early days of YouTube (now taken down). I'm hitting 40 soon and getting quite nostalgic and that was something I was obsessed with during my school years (my dad hated and banned Viz from our house).

I spoke to Tony Barnes, the director/animator of them who said he doesn't have copies of the episodic versions. The masters went over to the guys at Viz. I thought I could request a copy from Channel 4 but it says requests for shows will be ignored due to volume. I'm at a loss where else I could see this again hence I thought I'd ask here.

notjosh

Just found out my letter was printed in this month's issue. First one on the page too. Can any readers beat that?

kidsick5000

Quote from: notjosh on September 11, 2018, 09:15:05 PM
Just found out my letter was printed in this month's issue. First one on the page too. Can any readers beat that?

Do you get £5?

notjosh

No, what a swizz. Yet again it's one rule for the Star Letters writers and quite another for everyone else.

petril

ELICIT sympathy by falsely claiming you had a letter printed in Viz but never got the fucking fiver

Ferris

I sent them an email when I was pissed up under the name "Ziggy Shingles".

My copy of Viz not yet arrived, but I'm excited to see if I made the grade while half cut

Reg Tits

Just to let people know you can download Viz from the last year from the site magazinelib.com . Which is a great straightforward sit. Right click - save as, no need to sign up or money involved. Mind you does anybody know where I could download Viz from around issues 176 to 266. Thanks.

Former

Quote from: notjosh on September 11, 2018, 10:28:56 PM
No, what a swizz. Yet again it's one rule for the Star Letters writers and quite another for everyone else.

I had the Star Letter a couple of months back.

Never got sent owt.

I must've had about 20 letters in there over the years. No fivers. No pencils. Not even a sense of pride and self-satisfaction at getting the letter published after about the 5th time...

yesitsme

I've had a few entries in the Profanisaurus.  One Christmas I got a copy AND some Knackersack pencils.

Get that right up ya!

kidsick5000

Absorb the anus burn

I loved the time traveling taxi strip from a few months back.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: yesitsme on September 18, 2018, 10:59:45 AM
I've had a few entries in the Profanisaurus.  One Christmas I got a copy AND some Knackersack pencils.

Get that right up ya!

Ooh thats the only one I have left to complete my set. I've had a cartoon, a letter (not star) and a top tip printed, just need to get in Profanisaurus now. I did send one off but I didnt buy it for a while so I dont know if it got printed.

yesitsme

A couple of mine were...

Quornography and Salford Oyster but I got a few in.

Gulftastic

I got 'slag bag' in there this month.

Dr Rock

I always like the 'obvious liar talks of his unlikely celebrity sexual conquests.' They must have done that piece a hundred times.

yesitsme

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 18, 2018, 03:21:32 PM
I always like the 'obvious liar talks of his unlikely celebrity sexual conquests.' They must have done that piece a hundred times.

Yeah, brilliant.  Plus the 'Michael Jackson I Knew' after Jacko had snuffed it, similar thing always funny.

Plus the grief they give Jacko from Brush Strokes.

Rocket Surgery

This has just reminded me of a slight variation they did a while back where the guy's a flight attendant talking bollocks about the famous folks he's encountered at work. One of the anecdotes is about the time he witnessed Richard Dawkins briefly renouncing his atheism and praying to God during a bout of turbulence.

"I swore I'd never tell a soul that he had pissed hisself. And I never will."

Pissing myself now! Not actually though.

For me one of these articles is what reading Viz on the bog is all about. I've usually finished my business by the time I get to the "Signed copies of Segs Secrets of the Stars are available from the snug in The Dog and Hammer most nights" type postscript at the end of them.

kidsick5000

One of my favourites, (obviously teen me thought it brilliantly clever to have lodged it in my brain) was a steamy tell-all about a man who was having an affair... with himself.
Utter nonsense but told from his reluctant perspective. The wife had gone out with her friends, he was having a night in by himself, a few glasses of wine when suddenly he realised his hand was on his thigh and that he was slowly unbuttoning his own shirt. He tried to tell himself no but then he just couldn't help himself, suddenly finding himself rolling around on the floor in the throws of passion. Then as the affair continued, the danger of getting caught led to him pulling himself into store cupboards at work to continue the romp.

EDIT: THE REAL NON-MISREMEMBERED VERSION HERE

http://www.heretical.com/miscella/vizloves.html

One showbiz article I really liked was that TV favourite Doctor Who has been chosen to play the super spy James Bond. Not hilarious but I love the concept

jobotic

I remember that I Made Love To Myself one. Sure there was one about a bloke and his wife and their steamy two in a bed sex romps too.

There's no way I haven't mentioned Jesus' Forgotten Miracle - His Eight Dart Finish in this thread already but it was brilliant. "And as our Lord stepped up to the ockey..."

edit: found it

http://viz.co.uk/2007/02/09/father-dart-heaven/

thraxx

My favourite expose story is the one about British drak and closeted attitudes to sex, where the writer pushes his way into various houses asked them about their sex lives. Sort of thing like this "we visited Mrs Viv Charleston, aged 71, at her home at 34 Marley Drive, Barnsley and asked her about anal sex, at which she became visibly embarrassed. When we posed further enquiries about dildoes she became angry and demanded that we leave. With our questions answered by her evasive attitude, made our excuses and left".

Probably mis remembered, can't find it online. A shame because it's an awesome bit of writing, years before the day today / on the hour was doing stuff like that.

Famous Mortimer

I got sent the last year's issues from back home in England, and I've been enjoying them. I do wonder about the adverts, though. We've done the Aqua Velvas to death, good on them for continuing to subsidise Viz, but I wonder about the books they advertise. That "Bounders" or whatever the fuck it is, looks like a weak Flashman ripoff and three-quarters of the reviews on the page are from random Amazon or Goodreads people. Oh, and the author's name isn't on there either. Has anyone ever read this book?

And there's "Open To Doubt, vol. 1", which can be read in part here. To be fair, his adverts are smaller these days, but it's just so bad. So so bad.

yesitsme

At least they stopped all that sex chat line advertising (or cut it right down).  I was at a thing they did in Dundee and the matter came up in a Q+A.  Simon Thorp said they didn't like them and were trying to get them out.

Not quite the right tone they said.

That's why they also ditched Borderline Boilers, too Ladsmaggy if you're interested.

ajsmith2

Quote from: jobotic on September 18, 2018, 05:27:39 PM
I remember that I Made Love To Myself one. Sure there was one about a bloke and his wife and their steamy two in a bed sex romps too.

I remember that* being about the non-Freddie members of Queen and was phrased as 'members of the group Queen have been involved in 'two in a bed sex romps' with their own wives'. This was the early 90s I think so presumably an absurd parody of salacious/homophobically judgemental tabloid stories of Freddies sexploits.

*Of course it's more than possible they used the same joke twice in different contexts.