Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz Highlights

Started by Theremin, March 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

There's been ads for some shite T-shirts with lazily monged faces and anime pictures appearing the Viz for a while now.

Smacks of sub-Nathan Barley trustifarian chancers. Should stick with printed marshmallows.

ajsmith2

Quote from: yesitsme on September 20, 2018, 02:48:45 PM

That's why they also ditched Borderline Boilers, too Ladsmaggy if you're interested.

I was remembering Borderline Boilers the other day, and how indeed it's lags maggy tone jarred hugely with the overall tone of the  magazine. Though I have to admit there were some memorably crassly blunt descriptions of the women profiled, it lacked the absurdity that a similarly sexist article like the Wives exchange and mart ads had. Just came across as a bit seedy and sad. There were 2 editions of it if I recall correctly, one circa 1999 and the other 2004.

yesitsme

They've never let the fact they've told a joke once already stop 'em telling it again have they?

Tommy's Big Banana (or whatever it was called) has been done a few times in various styles. 

When I could read things that small I always liked reading the credits. I liked on one of them it had 'Rostrum Camera - Ken Morse'.  I don't know why, it made me chuckle.

I liked the story about the bloke who played the keyboards in his social club band.  There must have been a 'My drink and drugs hell' in the press recently and they had this guy spllling his guts about how the rock and roll lifestyle playing three nights a week in his local working mens club was taking it's toll.

'Sometimes I had one pint in my hand and another on top of my keyboard, my head was swimming.  The following morning I had to take two asprins to clear my head....'

that sort of thing.

The 'Real Life James Bond' was a good one too.  Where the guy was moaning about having to queue at the post office or DVLA to get his 'licence to kill'. 

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blumf on September 20, 2018, 03:13:21 PM
There's been ads for some shite T-shirts with lazily monged faces and anime pictures appearing the Viz for a while now.

Smacks of sub-Nathan Barley trustifarian chancers. Should stick with printed marshmallows.
Oh, aye. Posting the link is probably giving them more recognition than they deserve, but http://www.therakeandherald.tv/ - the site appears to be a sub-sub-sub Onion, but not as good as that might lead you to believe, and there's video too, which might be the most pointless thing I've ever seen. Feels like the sort of thing your least funny friend would have made at age 12.

The Giggling Bean

Did anyone listen to this "Viz: An Unfeasibly Large Success" on Radio 4 back in 2016? I completely missed it and I can't even listen to it on BBCI Player as it keeps telling me to install flash player. If anyone happens to have it, and wouldn't mind sharing, could you drop me a PM please?  Thanks.

Talking of articles that Viz has done endlessly over years, I always love the A-Z of________ or the 20 Things You Never Knew About_____ ones. Especially the inevitable section about something being the world's smallest and Calvin Phillips being the user of it, the last issue made reference to the dweller of the world's smallest pyramid Calvin Phillips Hoptep III which had me chuckling away on the bog this morning.

banana

Edited - didn't read that you didn't have flash

BeardFaceMan

I finally did it, I got in all of Viz. Checked the latest Profanisaurus book and I got an entry in there to add to the letters page, top tips, and a cartoon too. I got the Viz EGOT! OK, Star Letter here I come.

Jittlebags

Do you reckon you could get yourself into an Aqua Velvas photo as well? That would be smooth.

BeardFaceMan

I like to make my dreams obtainable, I've no chance of reaching those dizzying heights.

Sebastian Cobb

ColinPopshed

An old Letterbocks of mine (mid 2000s I guess) was put on the Viz website a year or two ago and got about 400 likes. I was quite pleased as it wasn't even funny, so I shall refrain from sharing.

Scisorman

At least 8 or 9 years ago Viz had a strip about a bloke who was in debt - it showed him trying to intercept the post and avoid phone calls. The art was very dark and threatening.
I've never been able to find the strip since - anyone know what it was called and if it has been republished or printed online?

eifion

Quote from: Scisorman on January 05, 2019, 07:55:03 PM
At least 8 or 9 years ago Viz had a strip about a bloke who was in debt - it showed him trying to intercept the post and avoid phone calls. The art was very dark and threatening.
I've never been able to find the strip since - anyone know what it was called and if it has been republished or printed online?

I think that was called "Debt Of A Salesman". Can't find it online, though.

Jittlebags

Had highly pleasant evening reading the new edition. Gove letters, outstanding!

Soup Dogg

Doesanyone know where I can find all the sort of bad pun comics (like this one) assembled in one place? Do they have a name?

ajsmith2

Quote from: Soup Dogg on January 15, 2019, 09:22:49 AM
Doesanyone know where I can find all the sort of bad pun comics (like this one) assembled in one place? Do they have a name?

They were colloquially referred to as 'Crap Jokes' when a stocking filler collection was published in the 90s

Morrison Lard

Crap Jokes is what you're after.

There's the "Viz Book of Crap Jokes"-

1989 according to my copy. Blimey. Not sure if they've done an updated one since.

Edit : What they said ^

Soup Dogg

wub1234

There were so many little throwaway bits in Viz that were hilarious.

But one I particularly remember was related to Brian Clough. In his later days as manager of Nottingham Forest, he had done an interview in which, in his usual bombastic way, he'd said words to the effect of "I didn't get much of an education, but when people ask me about education I get my League winners medals out, and my European Cup winners medals out, and I say to them 'those are my O-Levels, those are my GCSEs".

I think it must have been the same week, Viz had the manager in Billy the Fish drinking from a whisky bottle - mocking Clough's heavy drinking at the time - and saying "sometimes, Sid, people ask me about my education". And then he stopped the bus by the side of the road and did a sh*t, and then said "so when they ask me that, I show them this steaming pile of turd, and say those are my O-Levels, those are my GCSEs'".

It was pretty cruel, but it always tickles me.

I also remember Chris Donald appearing on one of these endless talking head shows on TV, and talking about the Ant and Dec 'song' Let's Get Ready to Rhumble, and pointing out that one of the lines goes "so many lyrics we're frightened to use them".

Unfortunately, they were only too frightened to use their good lyrics.

I'm quite pleased to have snuck two into the Profanisaurus this time. This year's ambition can be a top tip and a letter and I can amble gravewards with a hint of a smirk.

ToneLa

Was in a real ale pub (well, the ale wasn't fake) today and plastered, so-to-speak, upon the wall (nearest the much-frequented male toilets obviously, this being a real ale / old man's pub) they had an enlarged (rofl, eh, The?) print-out of a real Ale twats strip. I imagine a man put it up, perhaps an older one as a sort of jape.

the one where they go to a bar with the pop-up trill chargin 20 bar per Orange juice.

the good one lol

You know the kind, Harry Enfield furrowed that brow back in the past. Having a go at working class people for not being rich.

Was good though, proper chortling with drool seeping out at the sheer recognition of said piece, with my slack jaw hanging over it*

*What? it was a good article. I think I've recommended it fairly with a few extraneous points you could have done without

kalowski

Quote from: Morrison Lard on January 15, 2019, 11:18:34 AM
Crap Jokes is what you're after.

There's the "Viz Book of Crap Jokes"-

1989 according to my copy. Blimey. Not sure if they've done an updated one since.

Edit : What they said ^
Ah, these. Loved the "mud on the road" gag in that.

kidsick5000

Quote from: kalowski on January 23, 2019, 06:33:44 AM
Ah, these. Loved the "mud on the road" gag in that.

Ah yes. That's right (that's right, that's right, that's right... etc etc)

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Phil_A on March 06, 2012, 04:35:31 PM
"The Terry Nutkins Weight Loss Plan", which involved losing weight by getting an otter to bite two of your fingers off.

"The Life Of Christ In Cats" commemorative plate and tea towel set.

Actually bought one of these for a mate this Xmas

Tony Tony Tony

Sebastian Cobb

Did they actually manufacture the Bernard 'fat racist cunt of hearts' Manning plate then?

ToneLa

New issue advertises a new Aqua Velvas album.

Good Whoops Aisle strip

NoOffenceLynn

A Top Tip I read a few years ago.

Daily Mail readers, club together to buy a flux capacitor, so you can fuck off back to "the good old days".

Also, If they really made The Life of Christ in Cats plate, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Edit: they do in fact make a The Life of Christ in Cats tea towel, but don't delivery to my country.

Crushed.

thraxx

Quote from: ToneLa on February 05, 2019, 01:48:55 AM
New issue advertises a new Aqua Velvas album.

Good Whoops Aisle strip

What did you think of the issue as a whole?  Apart from the Whoops Aisle strip, I thought it was the poorest issue for a good few years.  I flicked through it in less than a minute, hardly anything worth reading in there at all.