Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:47:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz Highlights

Started by Theremin, March 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I dont suppose 'snug plug' is in the Profanisaurus of the new issue is it?

Glebe

Who does Drunken Bakers, Hen Cabin and Whoops Aisle Apocalypse? Extra-strength deso.

alan nagsworth

it's crap nowadays isn't it

an issue or two infrequently creeps its way into my house and onto the cistern of our lav and aside from the ads/articles being quite good, the comics and letters are dull shite

ToneLa

Read it having my tea the day it came and I have had no reason to get back to it and I can't remember much else.

..... It's been shite lately!

petril

Viz seems a lot like the sort of thing you're only meant to like in a phase. the gags will stay the same, the Drunken Bakers will never change, letters will always challenge you to beat that, Hen Cabin will be continually bleak. Not bought it myself for years, a brief skim in the supermarket does for me.

don't feel it's right to give my precious attention away to that fucking band, those fucking boxer shorts or that fucking novel that somecunt keeps paying them to advertise

thraxx

Quote from: petrilTanaka on February 21, 2019, 09:12:52 PM
Viz seems a lot like the sort of thing you're only meant to like in a phase. the gags will stay the same, the Drunken Bakers will never change, letters will always challenge you to beat that, Hen Cabin will be continually bleak. Not bought it myself for years, a brief skim in the supermarket does for me.

don't feel it's right to give my precious attention away to that fucking band, those fucking boxer shorts or that fucking novel that somecunt keeps paying them to advertise

Ah, well, but, you see the Bakers have changed.  The early strips they were just these strange ambient docile piss heads, now they are massively aggressive sweary cunts.

It's regressed the last few years, the Archie McBlarter style strips are terrible and the guy who has the very childish cartoony style strips have always been week.

The joke with Viz has always been thin, that in itself is part of it; the joke is ultimately on them who make it and us for buying it.  But a new influx of talent is needed now, just as it was when the Bakers et al arrived what 15 years ago?

As for the adverts, fuck knows who is paying for them or if they even recoup, but at least it's not that pair of twats who were advertising that Disco de Fromage and Old Fogies Rave bollocks from a few years ago.

Ferris

They were absolutely advertising that old fogies rave thing last issue.

Viz is still good for at least 2 or 3 big laughs whenever I get a new one through the letterbox. Going to read the latest one now actually.

ToneLa

I got a serious case of deja vu from this recent one!

Blumf

Quote from: Glebe on February 21, 2019, 01:35:35 PM
Who does Drunken Bakers, Hen Cabin and Whoops Aisle Apocalypse? Extra-strength deso.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunken_Bakers
QuoteBarney Farmer and Lee Healey

13 schoolyards

Drunken Bakers does seem to have backslid a little - I preferred the strips where they were aimless tragic pissheads rather than aggressive sweary pissheads - but the rest of the Farmer / Healey stuff is still gold.

Though it does seem like they either ran out of ideas or were pushed away from doing those ones where that evil bald bloke ruthlessly exploited the poor ("We Buy Gold", etc). And the ones on gambling were always insanely grim.

Jittlebags

Aye. I expect that the days of Jump Jet Fanny and her Hawker-Siddeley Twat are probably behind us. Still, we carry on.

ColinPopshed

Feels like it's slid a bit further in the last year apart from the usual good strips mentioned here. But one letter really made me laugh in a recent one. I can't even remember the content, just that it was from an 'E.T. Popmusic'

idunnosomename

Just as a clarification Farmer writes the plots, scripts and maybe a few crappy sketches and then Healey illustrates them.

ToneLa

Apart from Eight Ace and Real Ale Twats I only really regularly like their (Farmer n Healey) stuff these days. Maybe that says something aboot me as those strips are hardly less formulaic...

Would love a proper retail compendium of Bakers, Hen Cabin, Whoops Aisle Apocalypse, Male Online (I've got a Magzster subscription so I've got every issue digitally going back til about 2012, so that'll do - don't mind screenshotting requests if you know the issue n that)

Don't mind the top tips and letters but it's the FANS making the funny for them innit!

New one was alright but yet again I read it for about ten minutes and now it's languishing on my Big Table.

gib

I liked the Last of the Summer Wine parody (not F&H).

NoOffenceLynn

Top Tip to all Golf lovers

Including this letter.

GOLFERS!!! Leftover Egg Boxes can make a perfect and convenient place to store your golf balls.

Except, they don't quite fit and rip when you try put them in

A.Twat

idunnosomename

fuck me. i accidentally just bid six and a half grand on that you bastard.

jenna appleseed

Blimey.

"The chef lowers his eyelids haughtily, lifts the bottle to his lips and tilts back his head while his mouth moves as though drinking. Meanwhile the lid of the pot opens and a white kitten emerges, sticks out its tongue and descends again before the chef has time to notice. - Although rarely intended as children's playthings, automata were often inspired by childhood themes. The "Cuisinier" by Gustave Vichy is a good example of an automaton based on a nursery rhyme - the story of "La Mère Michel" and her unfortunate cat, which is cooked and served by her neighbor, the rascally chef Lustucru. In Vichy's retelling of the story, the cat is decidedly more animated!  "

eta: this pic *needs* to become a cab meme

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/364/140486/71303848_1_x.jpg?auto=webp&format=pjpg&quality=50&version=1556016097

eta2: oh god, he's got terrifying robot skeleton fingers, & the dummy mouth makes it look like he's dribbled booze or blood  right down his chin.

Famous Mortimer

They used my name (I guess from a subscription list) for a letter they shared on Facebook and Twitter the other week. Not my letter, but I'll take it.

a duncandisorderly

I did have a letter published in viz once.... 2004, easter time. something about estate agents, a rant about a car I'd seen, belonging to ludlow-thompson or somesuch bunch of twats, which incensed me by being garishly painted & having the words on the side- 'property response vehicle'.

anyway, I have a feeling that they make a lot of them up these days.

[edit]

found one of the twats, but pic won't link.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/dmcl/413526621/

justin_bennett

No Aqua Velvas adverts in the last couple of issues.  Just after I made my mate a tshirt of 'em for his birthday as well.  Wonder what's up...

Every now and again Lee Healey and Barney Farmer take me aback with the foulness of their work:

Blumf

Quote from: justin_bennett on May 30, 2019, 07:00:36 PM
No Aqua Velvas adverts in the last couple of issues.  Just after I made my mate a tshirt of 'em for his birthday as well.  Wonder what's up...

Club De Fromage are back though.

Sebastian Cobb

a duncandisorderly

in the profanisaurus, a hedgehog is a "prong rat". made me laugh.

pupshaw

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 06, 2019, 04:57:31 PM
Creased at this.

If there's a joke here, I'm not getting it.

Isn't this a just yet another "clueless over-enthusiastic poseur goes into no nonsense real life establishment and gets the kind of service "normal" people provide for "normal" people and look a complete twat" motif?

not funny. 

Sebastian Cobb

Real life mr logic deconstructs a viz strip but ignores he shits himself at the end.

pupshaw

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2019, 12:01:47 AM
Real life mr logic deconstructs a viz strip but ignores he shits himself at the end.

No, didn't ignore him shitting himself at the end. Is it some kind of meta-joke that has a viz-cliche setup
and ends with a triumphant flourish with him shitting himself. You could put any 10 panels as a setup to
that masterpiece.

Tell me what I really missed.

the

Despite having a hobby which suggests he samples lots of different gins, he's a lightweight who's fucked after one.

(Or to be less charitable, it's Alan Partridge falling asleep after 45 minutes drinking, but with a laugh of recognition at the modern phenomenon of the gin-fancier dropped in.) Unfortunately it goes to the same sort of area as The Real Ale Twats.

I suppose, to put it in with the 'dark' tone of their other stuff (Drunken Bakers), the joke in the atmosphere is the enthusiast/epicure being defeated/humiliated by the destructiveness of their own hobby.

5/10