Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz Highlights

Started by Theremin, March 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: pupshaw on June 08, 2019, 09:06:09 PM
And it's not even consistent between the two strips. Why is he a paralytic incontinent after one gin in the first strip and then in the other "go to bed with a lady"

I think that's a rather effete-looking man, if I'm not mistaken.

Danger Man

He's a gin snob who decorates his bedroom with Beefeaters and Gordons? Lazy.

imitationleather

I've never knowingly met a gin snob but from the adverts Facebook sends me for gin delivery services I think that they're probably largely twats who are a bit like me. And I am a good couple of decades younger than the guy in the cartoon.

In the past Viz's satire was so on-point, but this one just feels as though it's not based on reality and so it doesn't work.

sponk

Maybe that gin strip is an attempt to look balanced and "have a go at everyone". They've obviously done lots of strips about tramps and chavs drinking cheap larger and cider so they probably wanted to prove they can punch up as well as down.

Dusty Substance

I love Viz and have every issue from the 21st Century, about 30 from before then, a whole bunch of books and other bits but this year I've had to unsubscribe. Not due to a drop in quality, it's just that I don't read it anymore. Fucking podcasts, Twitter, Netflix etc. means I barely read any magazines or comics any more and I've ended up with six unread Viz piled up next to my bed. Maybe I'll appreciate it more if I buy a copy from a shop when I see it, or get the yearly Best Of Annuals instead. Shame, really. An end of an era.

mr. logic

I'm abroad and get the kindle version, but it's awfully formatted. Can't be arsed to unsubscribe but I'm another that basically stopped reading this year, outside of airports.

AVR2

Does anybody know which edition has the 2-page Biffa Bacon strip where he and Fatha are trying to put Knacka down because he's out of control?

"Come on, Biffa, let's get this durg kilt"

Of course, all the increasingly-ridiculous methods mean that Biffa ends up more and more injured due to washing machines being dropped on him etc, while Knacka just stands there laughing.

mippy

If you have Readly, Viz is available on there - not sure if that's the case outwith the UK.

KennyMonster

The concept of Gin Demons is described in the glorious Drunken Baker book.

petril

update on the latest issue:

Club de cunting prick dressed like a toff and ambiguous joint/fag behind the ear, along with British Wrestlers

jobotic

That's sad. Good to see so many "piss up a rope, fuckstick" responses though. Always my favourite.

Blumf

It's that evil look on Rude Kid's mam that seal the deal. Has she been teaching him to swear and is pleased with the results?

Big dog's cocks RIP!

Ambient Sheep

She always reminds me of the Blue Meanies from Yellow Submarine.

RIP Mr. Brownlow.

sponk

Never really read a single issue of Viz before, I've always gone for the annuals but I had an old copy lying around and God, the adverts were grim. So shite they actually killed my sense of humor temporarily so I couldn't appreciate the magazine.

Apparently Jamie Hewlett from Gorillaz contributed stuff to Deadline, fact fans

imitationleather

The ads get mentioned a lot. I, like a lot of people, actually read my first few issues thinking they were a joke. "Surely this shit cannot be real."

sponk

I seem to recall Chris Donald saying in Rude Kids that he told advertisers their ads had to be consistent with the theme and humour of the magazine. His fault really.

Blumf

petril

QuoteSega doesn't piss in the snow, it pisses in the *wind*.

kidsick5000

Quote from: sponk on July 16, 2019, 09:17:23 PM

Apparently Jamie Hewlett from Gorillaz contributed stuff to Deadline, fact fans

The comics equivalent of saying Paul McCartney of Wings used to sing with The Beatles.
or that Dave Grohl of The Foo Fighters used to drum with Nirvana.

alan nagsworth

damn sponk u got shut down mate

jobotic

Love these "convince people of something"letters.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 17, 2019, 09:51:34 AM
The comics equivalent of saying Paul McCartney of Wings used to sing with The Beatles.
or that Dave Grohl of The Foo Fighters used to drum with Nirvana.

Sponk that's you clamped mate.

Virgo76

Have there been any letters about Three Men and a Baby recently?

Quote from: jobotic on July 14, 2019, 11:40:55 PM
That's sad. Good to see so many "piss up a rope, fuckstick" responses though. Always my favourite.

Reading the responses has led me to discover a new delight "CHEW MY WANKSOCK"

Gurke and Hare

The start of this old Jack Black is amazing.

petril

Quote from: pupshaw on June 08, 2019, 09:06:09 PM
I saw the Some slappas have had 'em or whatever it's called strip. Ghastly. Who on earth thinks that's funny?

Scum Mothers Who'd 'Ave 'em?

aye, utter utter shite. no charm or humour, just unrelenting cuntish stuff happening over and over. Seems really confused as to who's meant to be the main character too

phantom_power

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 21, 2019, 07:49:12 PM
The start of this old Jack Black is amazing.

I can't help but read that in my head with the voice of a Scottish Tale from Athletico Mince. Do they reference his "personal pipe" later?

PowerButchi

The wet dream panel from the same Jack Black was hilarious too.