Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:36:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Overlooked Games

Started by small_world, March 09, 2012, 03:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small_world

I see this as being very similar to the 1001 FILMS that are worth watching thread - in that thread people recommend movies that may have slipped under the radar of others but are worth watching.

This is probably easier to happen with games. As games come out all the time, and if you're not a big 'gamer', it's easy to miss all but the huge titles.

Now, I've got nothing to crack off with (ladies), as I've only really gone in for the big games recently, the CoD's the Fifa's and that F1 game. But I just ran in to Game to grab some cheap titles (bought 4 games for £5. one of which was Fifa11) for a gaming night in with my pal, and I'll hopefully be able to throw a few titles in to this thread tomorrow.
But for now, over to you.

VegaLA

I nominate Dead Rising 2 Off the record.
superb game, you guys really need to give it a crack.

Spoiler alert
OK I admit it, desperate attempt by me to get an online partner to play it with.
[close]

Obel

You got that on 360? I may pick it up.

I nominate the criminally underrated Otogi 1 and 2 on Xbox. Absolutely fantastic third person action games, dripping with atmosphere. Beautiful traditional Japanese music, gorgeous graphics and really fun, destructive gameplay.
These games don't seem like much at first, but the longer you play the more you realise the fun is in trying to find all the weapons, getting an A grade in destruction in all the levels - attempt to get the Moon Blade, which can kill anything, even bosses in one hit.

There's a wonderful anime sort of feel to some of the boss fights. A particularly good example in the first game against a winged boss that can hit you hard enough to launch you several meters away, dragging you through the ground and it leaving permenant scarring to the ground, giving the attacks a real feel of impact.

Highly recommended!

Consignia

Quote from: small_world on March 09, 2012, 03:53:48 PM
I see this as being very similar to the 1001 FILMS that are worth watching thread - in that thread people recommend movies that may have slipped under the radar of others but are worth watching.

Don't we already have the 1000 games thread? I can't think of anything I'd put here that I haven't put in there already.

VegaLA

Quote from: Obel on March 09, 2012, 05:05:51 PM
You got that on 360? I may pick it up.

Oh aye. I also got it for my lil Brother last christmas specifically so we could play together. He has not been on XBL since.

Call me!

Big Jack McBastard

Not sure how 'overlooked' these are but Shadows of the Damned (which I did a review of somewhere on here) for the Xbox is a jolly carnage filled romp with some memorable moments which I picked up on a whim a while back and was pleasantly surprised with. On a similar[nb]actually almost a mirror image[/nb] note having finally just finished Bayonetta after starting it aeons ago and somehow forgetting about it I can also recommend that, somewhat like Devil May Cry but nowhere near as up it's own arse, a lot less ball breakingly difficult (on an easier setting) and quite spectacularly mental in a way I've difficulty putting into words. Packed with big boss fights and tarty sorts whipping their guns and swords out to lay some smack down on a rather persistent angelic horde bent on harvesting their souls. I defy you to get through the first couple of sections without your brain tilting and leaving you with a mad grin on your mush as you wonder what the hell is coming next.

The Darkness 2 somehow slipped under my radar until last week, if you like the first this one is well worth a look, it's a little more graphic novely/cell shady looking than it's predecessor and not as long, but it goes to some delightfully odd and poignant places in Jackie's noggin where the lines of reality blur and of course tearing the heads off goons with your demon arms rarely gets old.