Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

hardcore gamers strike back, down with bioware!

Started by RickyGerbail, March 14, 2012, 06:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still Not George

Quote from: Cohaagen on March 19, 2012, 03:42:45 PM
I've got a massive boner in anticipation of Wasteland 2. I was actually really disappointed with the Ricky's Age of Decadence topic since I took the "hardcore RPG in the Fallout vein" description in the title to mean that it'd be a post-apocalyptic setting, when in fact it is another goddamn fucking fantasy effort, a genre that appeals primarily to children, loveshy women-avoiders, and Neo-Nazis.
And if Skyrim is anything to go by, that means the entire game-buying public appears to consist of loveshy women-avoiding 8 year old racial supremacists.

RickyGerbail

with that said i haven't played the game yet but this is a pretty transparent production and i've only seen positive things about it on rpg codex.

thepuffpastryhangman

^
^
Any one from three surely. No one suggested all the boxes needed ticking.

Quote from: RickyGerbail on March 19, 2012, 04:26:53 PM
you're a fool to ignore that game because it is a "fantasy game", there are no fantasy creatures, no races other than humans, it's post apocalyptic but after the fall of a romanesque empire instead of modern real world civilization, the dialog is generally "hard boiled", there's barely any magic (no magicians as far as i know), it's got a very sophisticated, well tested turn based combat system, there are loads of different ways to finish the game, different factions, interesting non-combat skills, multiple playthroughs needed to get a decent grip of what's happening in the world, choices with deep consequences for the how the game evolves afterwards etc etc etc.

Mmm! Choose Your Own Adventure.

Mister Six

Quote from: Rachel on March 19, 2012, 08:38:09 AM
Bit harsh there, Mister Six :< I'm just sad that games like Jagged Alliance 2 and Planescape Torment don't get made anymore because today's gamer thinks turn-based combat is boring and reading beautifully written dialogue wastes precious time that could be spent pounding faces in.

The 'hardcore gamers' I've seen spend more time (bitching about games being too easy/slagging off Wii games aimed at children and the elderly/threatening to boycott games that they end up buying anyway) than bemoaning the loss of deep plots and traditional gaming models. I'd happily trade FMV, voice acting and true 3D graphics for another vast and sprawling post-apocalyptic world.

(That said, Fallout 3's combat is a hundred thousand times more satisfying than the original games. STOP MACHINE-GUNNING ME IN THE BACK, IAN, YOU CUNT!)

Thursday

Are you thinking more of retro gamers though? There is a lot of crossover, but I'd say that's a slightly different thing.

Mister Six

Nah, I only mentioned the NES because that's famous for having stupendously hard games.

Thursday