Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Baldur's Gate website mystery countdown

Started by KnuckleSupper, March 15, 2012, 02:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnuckleSupper

A new Baldur's Gate website appeared recently containing just the logo, pictures of old characters and the (gorgrous) game music.

It has since added a countdown due to be revealed later this afternoon. The website is owned by former BioWare designer Trent Oster who informed GameBanshee that the website is not related to the complete edition just released on Steam and that they would announce something soon.

The original games had a large and hugely passionate fanbase for a good reason: great stories and fabulous dialogue, involving characters and party interaction, beautiful art and design and a simply enormous scale - BG2 and its expansion packs could take close to 300 hours to complete.

Though both games were massive bestsellers, falling out between the developers and the owners of the rights led to a third game never being made, despite huge fan outcry. My excitement levels have reached near-frenzy level.

Edit:

Website [url/]http://baldursgate.com/[url]

Fairly cryptic comments also on the teaser site's source page:

'Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine

For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory.

And then... it returned. Better than it was before.

Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all.

As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life.'

Ignatius_S

A restyling in the Dragon Age 2 mould produced for iOS, mark my words.

KnuckleSupper

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 15, 2012, 03:02:41 PM
A restyling in the Dragon Age 2 mould produced for iOS, mark my words.

Oof. Giddy optimism takes a cynical two-footer from Ignatius.

BG3. Please. Even if it's in whatever latest version of the D&D rules they're up to now.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: KnuckleSupper on March 15, 2012, 04:13:46 PM
Oof. Giddy optimism takes a cynical two-footer from Ignatius.

BG3. Please. Even if it's in whatever latest version of the D&D rules they're up to now.

Hee, sorry – I'm just trying to lower my expectations.

Oster recently said he had a great meeting with Wizards of the Coast, who make the D&D books, so I hope that's a good sign.

Ignatius_S

Well, it's hard accessing the site, but an enhanced edition is coming this summer - http://www.beamdog.com/files/newsletters/BGEE/bgannounce.jpg

KnuckleSupper

Drat. Thought BG3 might be too much to ask.

Oh well, the whole series will have a better engine, graphics and some new content.

I will probably still buy this.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: KnuckleSupper on March 15, 2012, 11:01:57 PM
Drat. Thought BG3 might be too much to ask.

Oh well, the whole series will have a better engine, graphics and some new content.

I will probably still buy this.

Although I didn't expect BG3 to be announced (hope yes, expect no), perhaps this might make it more likely that the franchise will continue. As you say, there will be some new content, so that's something.

A Gamespy reader said that Oster on Twitter has confirmed:

QuoteThere will not be upgrades to the D&D fourth edition rules (ugh!). Game will feature AD&D second edition rules, just like the original and the sequel, where you could select various kits (precursor to the prestige classes of the third and later editions) for your PC and NPCs. You will be able to select these and BG2 classes even in the first game. Outside of playing BG Tutu, you couldn't do this in the original.

Mods, old and new will be supported in the enhanced edition to the best of their abilities. Everyone who has been following BG will know how important mods are for this game.

Isometric 2D graphics is the choice of the day. No 3D here, people.

There will be no full voiceovers. Only limited, like in the original games.

Save games from BG and BG II still work in the Enhanced Edition, but this could change.

They are looking for ways to improve co-op multiplayer. Yes, this game had it long before it became all the rage today.

Importing your character from the BG:EE to BGII:EE will work.

Both games will contain expansion packs: Tales of the Sword Coast and Throne of Bhaal respectively.

Viero_Berlotti

Any idea what the required PC spec might be for this? Will it possibly need a souped up gaming PC?

I've been thinking of getting the original Baldur's Gate for a while, but might just get this new version when it comes out instead. Only if I can run it on a pretty standard laptop though. If not I'll just get the original.

MojoJojo

If it's isometric 2D, it really shouldn't need much umph to go.

Mister Six

Quote from: KnuckleSupper on March 15, 2012, 02:42:44 PMgreat stories and fabulous dialogue, involving characters and party interaction, beautiful art and design and a simply enormous scale

Really? Really really? I played Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time last year (with a patch to raise the resolution) and got to chapter 3 or 4 before sacking it off as a bore. The dialogue is the worst kind of hokey, Tolkien wannabe bullshit, the stories are variable, the characters are mostly fairly stock and dull,[nb]The fella with the hamster was funny, and I liked the bickering pair that joined you at the start.[/nb] and the character interaction...?

That was where the game really lost me. Yeah, some of the characters would bicker and fight a bit at certain points, but other than that, the moment they joined your party they became faceless, voiceless pack mules. Fallout 1 was the superior game in every conceivable way and it came out the year before!

(Sorry to harsh people's buzz, but I really don't get the continued love for Baldur's Gate and really felt the need to vent...)

RickyGerbail

wat happened to my post. like i said: Baldurs gate 1 has very nice, free exploration, a well balanced, challenging and varied combat system with varied encounters, nice graphics and a story that doesn't take up too much room. No cutscenes with actors that looks like they were cut out of cardboard either, that's a plus. Also no god damn hand holding, no quest compass. then there is BG2 which is the best RPG of all of time with the most beautiful graphics ever made.

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on March 16, 2012, 02:53:04 PM
I've been thinking of getting the original Baldur's Gate for a while, but might just get this new version when it comes out instead. Only if I can run it on a pretty standard laptop though. If not I'll just get the original.

Oh no, you just missed out; this was on offer yesterday for a fiver:

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

BG 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil along with all their expansions. It's worth keeping an eye on that page though as it was a similar price last month too.

Viero_Berlotti

£14.95 is still good value though. Cheers for the heads up.

Ignatius_S

Looks like they do want to do a new third game.

Also, the enhanced edition going to be for the iPad - IGN have had hands-on time with it and says it's looking good. The iOS market is a huge and hopefully, they could make a killing from it.

KnuckleSupper

Having got all excited about BG2 again since the new website, I downloaded it from GOG and set about playing again.

Loving every moment, I was rattling through Chapter 2 having logged close on 50 hours play. Nearly every Athkatla quest had been done, along with the de'Arnise Keep, Trademeet, Umar Hills, the Unseeing Eye. I'd battered both the Shadow Dragon and Firkraag first go, and the Kan'gaxx liches had been slewn with nary a stray magic missile. The party was tooled up and settling in nicely - Anomen had been knighted and Aerie had just about stopped her tedious whining.

Then I realised that I'd dropped an important key somewhere and couldn't for the life of me remember where it was. Setting about trying to get the Debug mode operational (still haven't managed - it's a pain) in order to give myself it again, I came across some great community mods with bug fixes and widescreen resolution. Of course, like an idiot, I downloaded and installed them. They work brilliantly and the game looks amazing.

Except they've wiped my save games. That I had failed to back up.

I am a fucking idiot.

madhair60

Quote from: RickyGerbail on March 16, 2012, 03:32:25 PM
BG2 which is the best RPG of all of time with the most beautiful graphics ever made.

That's a weird way of spelling Chrono Trigger.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: KnuckleSupper on March 26, 2012, 12:12:43 PM
Having got all excited about BG2 again since the new website, I downloaded it from GOG and set about playing again.

Loving every moment, I was rattling through Chapter 2 having logged close on 50 hours play. Nearly every Athkatla quest had been done, along with the de'Arnise Keep, Trademeet, Umar Hills, the Unseeing Eye. I'd battered both the Shadow Dragon and Firkraag first go, and the Kan'gaxx liches had been slewn with nary a stray magic missile. The party was tooled up and settling in nicely - Anomen had been knighted and Aerie had just about stopped her tedious whining.

Then I realised that I'd dropped an important key somewhere and couldn't for the life of me remember where it was. Setting about trying to get the Debug mode operational (still haven't managed - it's a pain) in order to give myself it again, I came across some great community mods with bug fixes and widescreen resolution. Of course, like an idiot, I downloaded and installed them. They work brilliantly and the game looks amazing.

Except they've wiped my save games. That I had failed to back up.

I am a fucking idiot.

I must have played Baldur's Gate 2 over 10 years ago, but can still remember those names!

I still remember my final team - of me, a Paladin, flanked by Keldorn and Minsc - with Jaheira, Aerie and Imoen supporting with magic and arrows.