Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:08:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shut up crime!'

Started by biggytitbo, March 16, 2012, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Has anyone seen 'Super', a comedy about a loser that turns real life superhero? Had me laughing almost constantly from the first 30 seconds onwards. Not seen a mainstream film as balls out and uproariously funny in ages, gratuitously violent, Ellen Paige looks cute in her superhero outfit, Kevin Bacon is amusingly evil and even though it's all very silly the lead actor puts in a curiously moving performance.

His first succesful outing as a 'superhero' is almost too shocking to be funny, but that's what makes it so great. Its testament to the films brilliance that you never lose sympathy with a man who is basically a psychopath.

Genuinely think it's one of the funniest films of the last decade. See it!

Utter Shit

It was pretty shit, except for Juno saying her poose was "all gooshy".

Noodle Lizard

Saw it, didn't like it.  Sorry.

biggytitbo

Tiny Poster

We talked about how great it is in the 1001 Films Worth Watching thread. Far superior to Kick-Ass.

CaledonianGonzo

Hmmm...I'm mulling over watching either this or Hanna in half an hour.

But which is best?

Hank Venture

Kick-Ass is absolute dogshit. Fell asleep in the theatre, the only time that's ever happened.

AsparagusTrevor

I liked Super, I also liked Kick Ass. Both different types of movie, different tones of comedy. Kick Ass is definitely more of a popcorn movie.

rupert pupkin

Super's terrific - very underrated. Rainn Wilson likewise.

Harpo Speaks

I enjoyed it. I thought Kick-Ass was better as a film overall, however one thing I will say about Super is that it follows through its initial premise right to the end, which is something that Kick-Ass fails to do.

Also Wilson was very good in it.

phantom_power

There are a few of these films about demented super heroes, like Special and Defendor. I like them all in their own way, with Kick Ass being the most fun and Special being the most interesting.

Mini

Kick-Ass says "this is what it'd be like if a regular guy tried to be a superhero", and Super says "no, this is." And I love it. Brilliantly weird and brutal, with one of the best on-screen rapes ever

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mini on March 16, 2012, 08:48:38 PM
Kick-Ass says "this is what it'd be like if a regular guy tried to be a superhero", and Super says "no, this is." And I love it. Brilliantly weird and brutal, with one of the best on-screen rapes ever
Ellen Page is simultaneously incredibly sexy and nightmare girlfriend throughout, love the scene were she does cartwheels and 'moves' by way of audition.

chocky909

Great fun film and has one of the best intro credit sequences ever,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_iwVg9zf0E

Hank Venture

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 16, 2012, 09:03:49 PM
Ellen Page is simultaneously incredibly sexy

Truthbomb. Probably a beast in the sack.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 16, 2012, 07:02:23 PM
Ellen Paige looks cute in her superhero outfit

This is the understatement of the year.

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 16, 2012, 07:02:23 PM
Ellen Page is simultaneously incredibly sexy...

That's better, but you're still underselling her. The comics convention I went to recently was almost ruined by no one deciding to dress up as her. And having Ellen Page's body. And face.

Anyhoo, yeah, I loved it, it's great fun, and anyone who says it isn't is a big old wrong person in wrong smelling clothes.

biggytitbo

Its wrong though isn't it, that although she was a complete nutjob and genuine pyscho -  she was still incredibly hot. I was actually pretty upset
Spoiler alert
when she died
[close]
, so much so i spent the next 10 minutes hoping she'd
Spoiler alert
some how come back to life
[close]
and win the day by doing something psychotic.

Looking back, my attraction to her explains my long history of going out with lunatic women.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

biggytitbo

Bah! I'll spoiler it you turd.

Jerzy Bondov

Special is the one with Michael Rapaport, isn't it? I thought that was lovely stuff. Thoughtful, low key, funny and sad. Definitely worth a go if you've not seen it, and if you like these normal person super hero type films. Haven't seen Super but I've had it on high priority on LoveFilm for fucking ages so it's not my fault.

Custard

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 16, 2012, 09:13:00 PM
O-kaaaay...

Aye, it'll have to go some to beat Scum or Straw Dogs in the rapey stakes

EDIT - Gonna put this on my LoveFilm rental list

NOT FOR THE RAPE

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Mini on March 16, 2012, 08:48:38 PM
Brilliantly weird and brutal, with one of the best on-screen rapes ever

So, in the end I watched Hanna and I'm now thinking I made the smart move.

biggytitbo

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 17, 2012, 12:32:11 PM
So, in the end I watched Hanna and I'm now thinking I made the smart move.
Don't worry, it was a female>male rape so that makes it funny!

dr_christian_troy

I liked it, and thoroughly enjoyed Rainn Wilson's rant at Kevin Bacon near the end, post-
Spoiler alert
killing spree
[close]

GoochDogHigh5s

Watched this last week.
It was not what I expected. I was thinking it was going to be like Kick Ass (which I also like)

What a dark film and great acting by Wilson.

Less comic book , more real life

Recommend it

I decided to give it a go after reading this thread. I'm about half an hour in and I've switched it off because I'd rather arse around on the internet and am not sure if I can be bothered with the rest. I usually try and watch films until the end, whether I like them or not but lately I've found myself giving up on things without giving them a proper chance.(The Wackness recently went off after twenty minutes)

Does it get better? I haven't laughed once in the first 30 minutes.

Here's the thing, I've never been a comic book kind of guy, I quite like the odd Hellboy or Batman movie, but films that are set in comic book culture (Kevin Smith, Fanboys, Kick Ass etc) are like kryptonite to me[nb]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/nb].

I really want to like this, just because it's got Kevin Bacon in it.

Should I go back to it?

Neomod

I did exactly the same thing as it wasn't engaging me but went back and watched the rest.

On balance, yeah, It's worth it.

Custard

Yeah, I sat through this the other night too, off the back of this thread, and generally liking Rain Wilson and Ellen Page. But nah, wasn't for me. I think I laughed once, and that was fairly near the beginning. And for a 90 minute comedy film, fuck it dragged. I don't think it helped that I didn't give a fuck about any of the characters, either. Pretty poor, says I

SO NO, TURN IT OFF ASAP!!!1

I went back to it. I thought it was pretty crap.