Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shut up crime!'

Started by biggytitbo, March 16, 2012, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

"and that's why you should never return to a middling super hero 'comedy'"

Tiny Poster

You definitely shouldn't return to The Wackness. Jesus, is that bad.

Small Man Big Horse

I watched Defendor tonight and really enjoyed it, though it's quite a different movie and much more
Spoiler alert
of a study of a mentally impaired male
[close]
than the other 'real superhero' films have been. It's still very funny in places, and Harrelson puts in a great performance, but it's more of an emotional movie than the others. That's not a complaint though, and is what makes it worth watching along with them.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 26, 2012, 02:23:54 AM
I watched Defendor tonight and really enjoyed it, though it's quite a different movie and much more
Spoiler alert
of a study of a mentally impaired male
[close]
than the other 'real superhero' films have been. It's still very funny in places, and Harrelson puts in a great performance, but it's more of an emotional movie than the others. That's not a complaint though, and is what makes it worth watching along with them.
Cheers , I shall check that out

Mini

I watched Super again tonight, and it was even better the second time. The low-key cynicism and wit coupled with the ridiculous extreme violence is genius. And Ellen Page is brilliantly psychotic. That film is, in a word: Fantastic!

EDIT: I don't know why I didn't say "Super!" there, that would've made sense.

buntyman

I'd never heard of this before this thread was created but watched a rental copy last night and rather enjoyed it. The ending was a bit shit and it wasn't hilariously funny but there were plenty bits to enjoy. I liked a lot of the minor role characters, the fat guy in the comic shop, the guy in the cinema queue, The detective, Bubbles from The Wire etc all delivered some funny lines. There were more good bits that I can think of off the top of my head than Kick Ass.

Moribunderast

Super was one of my favourite films of 2011 but I'm incredibly biased towards anything involving James Gunn, Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page so that's no great surprise. Page's performance carried the comedy, really, her manic hysteria and violence contrasted against her tiny frame making for some pretty easy laughs. I thought Rainn was excellent also. He took the film from being a "middling super-hero comedy" to something much more heartfelt and moving. I'm a sucker for
Spoiler alert
bittersweet
[close]
endings as well and I thought Gunn pulled this one off very nicely.

Would also like to thank whoever mentioned SPECIAL earlier in this thread. Had never heard of it but on the basis of it's mention here I had a look and I thought it was just as good, if not better than SUPER. Certainly more serious and bleak in it's tone but Rapaport was great and the film kept itself quite grounded considering it falls into the "normal-person-becomes-hero" genre.

Might have to give DEFENDOR a go now.