Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:19:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slasher films.

Started by astrozombie, March 31, 2012, 03:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: Phil_A on April 04, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
What, a worse twist than the ones in "Monster A Go-Go" or "The Last Broadcast"? Cos that would really take some doing.

Alright, in "cinema madhair60 has seen" history.

I'm a big fan of the Scream films (for better or worse) and so was eager to see what Scre4m had to offer.

Despite it being pretty much a carbon copy of Scream, I really enjoyed it. Oddly, being a carbon copy of the the first film is pretty much what the film is about. It's both its problem and its major plot point. As a result, I kinda wanted a fresher take, but it is what it is.

I still enjoyed Scre4m, quite a bit in fact, but I do have ONE major issue with the film...

And it doesn't involve the reveal of the murderer/s (She didn't bother me, but wished they'd cast someone else)...

Basically, that film would've been audacious if they'd cut to the credits when the villain had won, having being the 'sole' survivor. That would've been truly amazing... But no... They had to add another 10 mins on of last minute 'yay, the heroes win' contrivance.

Also - when they say Scre4m was a reboot for a new generation with the surviving characters... I call BOLLOCKS... NOT A SINGLE member of the new cast survive this movie (unless the Heroes Cheerleader managed to survive somehow) and we are left with the same 3 heroes as always... which frankly, ruins the stakes and makes it all very pedestrian.

Other than that... It should've been the official Scream 3. It would've made more sense at least.

Finally - as a recommendation - you HAVE to watch "Leslie Vernon - Behind The Mask." It's a pretty great breakdown of the genre. Scream meets Spinal Tap!

CaledonianGonzo

I'm a 'miserable cunt' and a 'pretentious twat' for not liking the ending of Switchblade Romance?

You'd be really irate if you heard my opinion of Wolf Creek.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Eclectic Boogaloo on April 10, 2012, 03:23:59 AM
Basically, that film would've been audacious if they'd cut to the credits when the villain had won, having being the 'sole' survivor. That would've been truly amazing... But no... They had to add another 10 mins on of last minute 'yay, the heroes win' contrivance.

Spoiler alert
If they'd killed off the regular cast, I'd have cried for months.
[close]

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 10, 2012, 09:11:47 AM
I'm a 'miserable cunt' and a 'pretentious twat' for not liking the ending of Switchblade Romance?

Oh, god, no you're definitely right, the end of Haute Tension (sorry, can't get on board with 'Switchblade Romance' as a title) ruins the whole thing.  Terrible, ill thought out, pointless ending.

holyzombiejesus

What's that film? You know, the Scandinavian one with a woman in it? Stuart got it me for my birthday... There's a sequel too. Anyway, that's good.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 10, 2012, 09:11:47 AM

You'd be really irate if you heard my opinion of Wolf Creek.

just checking, i didn't say that? can't find anyone who did...?

CaledonianGonzo

Not at all - I was smited by the OP for finding the twist implausible.  Though obviously I'm more amused by being called 'pretentious' than anything else.

I'd take some negging and four letter wordery from you as you seem like a stand-up guy.

*fist bump*

Obel

Oh it's a fucking bullshit twist.

How did the car chase even happen in that case?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 10, 2012, 10:54:51 AM
What's that film? You know, the Scandinavian one with a woman in it? Stuart got it me for my birthday... There's a sequel too. Anyway, that's good.

Cold Prey! Anyone seen this? I really enjoyed it (and the sequel) from what I remember. Slightly different to the usual 'imperilled woman screams and flashes knickers' stuff that this genre usually dishes out. It's usually quite cheap for a double pack of both in Fopp, although I've just seen that they can be bought individually for less than a fiver on Amazon.

Just noticed that there's a 3rd one which seems to be delving more into the backstory but I can't find any more information.

thenoise

PIECES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A97EOtxF2gA

THE BURNING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzPWiBV42og

Another early/pioneering (proto-) slasher was Mario Bava's 'Twitch of the Death Nerve' aka 'Bay of Blood' (1971) - Friday the 13th part 2 even copied several murder scenes shot for shot ten years later.

Mini

Hot Fuzz is a slasher, and like Scream, a loving parody which is better than most of the genre it mimics.

SetToStun

I'd never thought of it like that before, but now I have, I must say I believe you're spot on.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Mini on April 11, 2012, 11:34:39 AM
Hot Fuzz is a slasher, and like Scream, a loving parody which is better than most of the genre it mimics.

I think you can certainly view elements of Hot Fuzz as having the template of a slasher film, though I think they were really trying to evoke a Midsomer Murders/Agatha Christie-esque vibe...albeit much more grisly.  Hot Fuzz doesn't work for me because it's a very messy film tonally, and I get put off by the way that a vast portion of the film is a direct, specific homage to Bad Boys 2, a fairly recent film which nobody likes or cares about[nb]i.e., I don't like nor care about it[/nb].

biggytitbo

Argento's Phenomena is the best slasher film ever made, although an atypical incredibly eccentric one.

Junglist

Quote from: Obel on April 10, 2012, 03:16:05 PM
Oh it's a fucking bullshit twist.

How did the car chase even happen in that case?

It's clear at the start that we're listening to Marie's version of events. We don't hear Maiwen's (Alexia's), hence the implausibility at times. I adore that film, the only discrepancy, to me, is the very first time we take sight of 'him'.

CaledonianGonzo

So what about the moment when it becomes clear that she's the killer and that there isn't anyone else there?  Is that also her take on the situation?

Junglist

No, I see that as the film splitting into reality, but it's all about personal perception and that. I love it, but I'm not going to criticise anyone for not liking it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 04, 2012, 08:58:58 AM
I'm no connoisseur of slasher films, but I know a rubbish ending when I see one and that would be the ending of Switchblade Romance.
Yeah I enjoyed it but I hate any film where the twist ending essentially invalidates the entire film like that. The rubbish John Cusack film identity does the same thing, as does the even rubbisher Jacob's Ladder.

Junglist

I like Identity, to the point where I've seen it seven times. Guess I'm just more lax with my judgements a glutton for punishment.

Obel

Quote from: Junglist on April 12, 2012, 02:54:15 PM
It's clear at the start that we're listening to Marie's version of events. We don't hear Maiwen's (Alexia's), hence the implausibility at times. I adore that film, the only discrepancy, to me, is the very first time we take sight of 'him'.

Fair play, it's been a while since I watched it. But yeah the first scene of him makes zero sense.

I do think the twist was tacked on, I still really enjoy the film. Really bad twist though.

VegaLA

Since today is Jason Voorhees day, which is your favourite of the series?

I think the 4TH went off in a fresh direction but the 3RD holds a place close to me. It was made during the 80s 3D craze but that meant next to nothing when your'e watching it on a pirate VHS and Jason aquired his signature mask.

You go.

AsparagusTrevor

I liked the fifth, Jason Lives. It was quite tongue in cheek and had some standout kills.

biggytitbo

My favourite is Friday 13th 3: Season of the Witch.

Junglist

Jason X. It's truly phenomenal.

Although it's no Death Machine.

Mini

I've only seen the first 3 but I'm working on it. The original stands out because it's, well, the original... But 2 has a great opening (
Spoiler alert
Head in a fridge
[close]
)... But 3 has the introduction of the mask...

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Junglist on April 13, 2012, 06:20:20 PM
Jason X. It's truly phenomenal.

Although it's no Death Machine.
Agreed (although I've never heard of the other film you mentioned, time to hit IMDB). Jason X is a corker.

Brundle-Fly

Alone In The Dark 1982. Jack Palance, Donald Pleasance, Martin Landau. What a steller line up.

Bizarre black comedy about lunatics on the loose. I've just seen that the whole movie is on YouTube.

madhair60

I'm reposting this here 'cos it seems appropriate.

Before you all write in, I've been told  it's "ki ki ki ma ma ma".

Feralkid

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on April 13, 2012, 05:13:35 PM
I liked the fifth, Jason Lives. It was quite tongue in cheek and had some standout kills.

That's part 6.   Part 5 is that New Beginning fake Jason nonsense.   

VegaLA

Quote from: Feralkid on April 14, 2012, 08:05:59 PM
That's part 6.   Part 5 is that New Beginning fake Jason nonsense.   

Ooooh part 5 is that? I thought it was 4. I feel a Voorhees marathon coming on.