Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I See Dead People

Started by Martian Martian, February 09, 2004, 11:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
After watching Angels in America, where, following Cohn's demise, Lou says 'I'm 32 years old, and I've never been in a room with a dead person', it got me wondering - and forgive me if this is too dark for a Monday morning - who has witnessed the shedding of this mortal coil?

I have. Once was enough. It made me yearn for immortality, and convinced me that there is no afterlife.

Roll up, roll up, bring out your dead...

smoker

i've been with my gran and great aunt as they were very close to death, one in an old people's home and one in a cancer ward, fucking depressing shit.

Purple Tentacle

As I said in the Angels thread, there is almost no such thing as dying with dignity.

Yay, Monday morning!

MonkeyDrummer

i'm pretty lucky in that i've never experienced death close to home at all. Relatives, friends etc. all just keep on going.
My sister though has sat with a man as he journey'd from this life to the next and while i believe myself to be head and shoulders above my sister in terms of life experience,  this is one I can't even begin to comprehend. She just sat with him and held his hand, she said he was terrified and even at the end  was gasping for breath, despereate to hang on to the remainder of his life.
Destroyed my falicy that by the time you are old you've had enough of life anyway, and you're almost relieved to be going.

Krang

I really really dont want to die. It scares me the fact that life can be ended so easilly.

e.g.

At the turn of 2004, my brothers old school friend was hit by a car, whilst he walked home from a new years party (bad weather meant the driver couldnt see him.)

It struck me, that exactly 1 year before that, i had done exactly the same...

DonkeyRods

Quote from: "Krang"I really really dont want to die. It scares me the fact that life can be ended so easilly.

e.g.

At the turn of 2004, my brothers old school friend was hit by a car, whilst he walked home from a new years party (bad weather meant the driver couldnt see him.)

Thats the worst thing, you go back just a few minutes and nothing was wrong. Something totally random and arbitrary can just come and sweep you away.

I've never witness death of a person first hand, but I was present when my cat who had a stroke was put to sleep.

twatloops

Quote from: "Krang"I really really dont want to die. It scares me the fact that life can be ended so easilly.

e.g.

What?  Killed the same guy?  Jesus, now that IS scary...

PS I'm sorry.  I'm going to hell.

daveytaylor

I haven't seen someone die but I did find my neighbour dead on his kitchen floor last year. He'd been there for about two days so the scene was a bit funky. If you know what i mean.

Puts a downer on your day I can tell you.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "daveytaylor"I haven't seen someone die but I did find my neighbour dead on his kitchen floor last year. He'd been there for about two days so the scene was a bit funky. If you know what i mean.

What made you go round there?

I can honestly believe that in the modern world the only people who are likely to find you dead are the baliffs.

twatloops

The only time I've ever seen a dead body was alos one of the most surreal experiences.

An ex's mum died and I went round to her house on the day of the funeral.  In a somewhat traditional move, they had the body laying in state in the middle of the living room with everyone just stood around talking and looking at it.  One of the daughters brought her little yappy dog into the room lifted it up so that it could lick the deceased's face.  At the same point, the other daughter announced she was going to put some of the dead mum's favourite music on as "it was what she would have wanted".

I find myself stood next to a corpse as it's face is licked clean by a miniature terrier with Shirley Bassey's "Goldfinger" distorting out of the midi sytem by the coffin.  If ever a moment called  for a Tim-style "mugging the camera" moment, thats the one.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "twatloops"I find myself stood next to a corpse as it's face is licked clean by a miniature terrier with Shirley Bassey's "Goldfinger" distorting out of the midi sytem by the coffin.

"..And the goooolden girl, know's when he's kissed her.... it's the kiss of DEATH......... from Mister... Goldfingaaaaaaaar!"

That is a truly wonderful image.

twatloops

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "twatloops"I find myself stood next to a corpse as it's face is licked clean by a miniature terrier with Shirley Bassey's "Goldfinger" distorting out of the midi sytem by the coffin.

"..And the goooolden girl, know's when he's kissed her.... it's the kiss of DEATH......... from Mister... Goldfingaaaaaaaar!"

That is a truly wonderful image.

Marvellous!

I was too amused/startled to really take the lyrics in at the time.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I can't *believe' I still have that picture. It's a VW. Can't remember who (PLC perhaps?). Just felt I should add it seen as it was vaguely topical. I don't have the stamina for 6 hours worth of Angels in America, so I'll let it sail off into the critically acclaimed ether.

daveytaylor

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "daveytaylor"I haven't seen someone die but I did find my neighbour dead on his kitchen floor last year. He'd been there for about two days so the scene was a bit funky. If you know what i mean.

What made you go round there?

I can honestly believe that in the modern world the only people who are likely to find you dead are the baliffs.

My neighbour on the other side has a kid who delivers newspapers. He had delivered the newspaper on Saturday and when he pushed the paper through on Monday realised that the paper from Saturday was still on the floor. He told his dad and, he saw me to get access to the back garden. Terraced house you see.

We found his back door open and called after him. When we got no reply we walked into the kitchen and there he was on the floor.

I suppose he was found because we are quite a good little community in our little terrace and we do look out for each other.

You'd be surprised at how much the incident fucked up my head.

TotalNightmare

Ive seen a lot of my friends die...

Sadly, thats because they are mostly stand ups...

dear god.

As for real death... fuck it. It will happen to all of us, get over it.

Enjoy life like its a toffee.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "daveytaylor"
We found his back door open and called after him. When we got no reply we walked into the kitchen and there he was on the floor.

Hey... that's MY story!

Only it was ME as the paperboy when I was 14, and the old lady concerned only took a Sunday paper, the Sunday Express in fact. It turned out she'd been cold about 10 days when I raised the alarm.

The copper that broke the door down slipped headlong on the decomposing filth on the floor - the only time I've ever pitied a policeman. I only saw her bloated yellow and purple mottled leg, but that and the smell was more than enough...

Mrs Hovis sees an average of three deaths a week in A&E - it's not the deaths that freak her out, it's the terminal cases pleading to be put out of their misery that give her the nightmares.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Yikes. Give public service workers everything they want ever.

Quote from: "Sherringford Hovis"Mrs Hovis sees an average of three deaths a week in A&E - it's not the deaths that freak her out, it's the fact that I carefully record each death on a wallchart in the kitchen when she gets home at night.

Sorry...   sorry...  sorry...

A few years working in a nursing home gave me the opportunity to actually be with one or two people at the point of death (surprisingly nice oddly enough, I always found myself so pleased that they had someone with them at the time instead of being alone and found later) - a brief stint working in a hospital had me cleaning fresh corpses (for more on that you should seek out that true or false thread) and I also did home care for a while which at one stage had me breaking into a house to find a three day old body and care sheets filled out by a co-worker who had clearly been there the day before and failed to notice our client had gone green.

I've seen enough curious things during some of these instances to keep my mind very open to the possibilities of the afterlife...

Rats

That sheds a whole new light on your love of horror movies you fucking wierdo. That's it, I'm going to hound you out of here. Brace yourself. A good hounding coming up. Here comes the hounding. In a minute.

Cambrian Times

My dad died when I was 13. It was a heart attack in the middle of the night.

Huh, my Dad died of pnuemonia. Drowned, he did! And I was only 19. At least your Dad was asleep!

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
I've seen enough curious things during some of these instances to keep my mind very open to the possibilities of the afterlife...

I don't think you can get away with saying that without being asked to elaborate really... go on.

El Unicornio, mang

My nana died a few years ago, and she left some cooking stuff which  got shared out. My sister got a kettle and my mum got a microwave. Anyway, about a year after her death, the microwave stopped working. Straight after this my sister phoned my mum to say that the kettle had stopped working. A couple of hours later both started working again and have worked fine since.

Surely a coincidence, but still a bit eerie....

Hans

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Anyway, about a year after her death, the microwave stopped working. Straight after this my sister phoned my mum to say that the kettle had stopped working. A couple of hours later both started working again and have worked fine since.

Power cut?

Marcus Or Relius

My sister used to work in A&E too and had a surprisingly casual attitude towards death: "They always come in threes. Seriously, two people pop their clogs on us in the evening and we know another one will snuff it before our shift was over." Erm, okay. On a vaguely related subject, my sister found out a boy she'd gone out with as a teenager was dead by seeing him on the cover of the local paper; "Local Man Presumed Dead In WTC Attack." He worked for Reuters or summat on the billionth floor of of the North Tower. Or the South one. One of 'em anyway.

I've never even been to a funeral before, let alone seen a dead person.  I think if I did I'd never be able to casually haul corpses around in Hitman: Codename 47 without recalling the hypothetical seeing-a-dead-body-in-real-life incident. Not that it'd stop me from playing it though.

twatloops

I know a few people who've dissected cadavers intheir time and one who works in forensic science.  She showed me her homework book once.  The words; peeled, gaping and rotten spring to mind.

Enough about her though.  Hi thank yorr.

gazzyk1ns

My mate's ex is a med student and I'm friends with another, they've both told me disguting stuff when I've asked them to. They say that their cadaver is the least gruesome thing though, as it's been dead and enbalmed for ages. They get "just dead" (i.e. a few days) bodies to do certain things with from time-to-time though, including babies, which surprised me.

EDIT: Just asked her about the babies thing, apparently they mostly watch stuff like that, although they can ask to do things themselves.

twatloops

Apparently, they get a cadaver of their own to work on for a good few months, then when it's been hacked to as small bits as they can, they give the body back to the family to do with as they wish and it's the done thing to go to the funeral/service.

Personally, I'd be a bit grossed out if a bunch of med students turned up to my dads funeral, knowing they'd been juggling with his spleen when no-one was looking.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "twatloops"
Personally, I'd be a bit grossed out if a bunch of med students turned up to my dads funeral, knowing they'd been juggling with his spleen when no-one was looking.

I raised this question on your behalf. I've pasted the whole chat because it's interesting. Well it was for me anyway. It's a bit long, sorry for the scrolling inconvenience.

Gazzyk1ns says:
do people ever piss about with the bodies, like you hear?

Gazzyk1ns says:
like, juggling the spleen around when no-one is looking?

DREAM as if you will live forever, LIVE as if you will die today. says:
nah, have to respect

we dont with are cadavers.  well we do  i pretended to wear ours sternum and ribs as a top once

Gazzyk1ns says:
haha right, so you do piss about with body parts

sometimes but not in the mortuary    and a lot less than you would think

Gazzyk1ns says:
I need to know what sort of things you do, this is interesting

Gazzyk1ns says:
it's OK, nobody will hear about this apart from me  

u know what im like. we all go over to see gross things.  
faddy took our heart to show it off last week- it is huge lol

Gazzyk1ns says:
can you go to their funeral, when you're done with your cadaver? I heard that you could

donno   dont think so, i wouldnt want to

Gazzyk1ns says:
"our"? how many people share one cadaver?

mianly educational  its really interesting dont really need to mess around

Gazzyk1ns says:
so you've never thought about, like, drawing eyes above their willy and pretending it's
a face with a big nose?

Gazzyk1ns says:
8 people to one cadaver? jesus

no way   wouldnt do that.   nah 8 is fine

cant get that many dead bodies. there are 136 in my year

Gazzyk1ns says:
is anyone ever sick or ill in any way because it's a bit disgusting?

one girl got really upset wen they took the cover off the face - it is pretty disgusting

Gazzyk1ns says:
the cover? the skin?

the cover material

Gazzyk1ns says:
is it like you'd imagine, just red and pulpy under there?

Gazzyk1ns says:
well your cadavers are embalmed aren't they, are they still red inside?

nah they are really dull.   but natually (from the mortuary)   its really colourful.  
fat is quite a bright yellow and the flesh is pinky and the blood goes everywhere so lots of red.
the lungs are pink   very bright but not attractive

Gazzyk1ns says:
blood goes everywhere? I suppose it does if they've not drained it.
How do you stomach it the first time you see a dead body's chest cracked
open and all blood and guts spew out? I dare say I could get used to it but
didn't you feel slightly ill the first time?

nah was ok

Gazzyk1ns says:
I saw that programme on channel 4 last year where they did an autopsy but it was absolutely shite,
it was an enbalmed one and they didn't show much

thye crack the ribs with things like plyers, after they cut the skin with a strange thing

its the head that gets ya   not the thorax and abdomen

they cut the skin from ear to ear and then fold it back over the face so as not to damage it.
they then take and electric circular saw to the head to cut through the skull  !!!!!!  
(with the babies they use sissors)

another bad bit is once they get into the thoracic cavity they have to bring
the tongue down and put their hand up the neck and pull it out

- tad gross

Gazzyk1ns says:
ha, yeah

they cut out the whole of the trunk organs and whack them in a metal bowl