Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:16:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I See Dead People

Started by Martian Martian, February 09, 2004, 11:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I raised this question on your behalf. I've pasted the whole chat because it's interesting. Well it was for me anyway.
Indeed.  Thanks, but:

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
QuoteGazzyk1ns says:
it's OK, nobody will hear about this apart from me
:rolleyes:

Don't you think you should at least replace his username with "My mate" or something?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Sherringford Hovis"Mrs Hovis sees an average of three deaths a week in A&E - it's not the deaths that freak her out, it's the terminal cases pleading to be put out of their misery that give her the nightmares.
In A&E?  Shit!!  Never thought of that - you think about it with cancer patients and the like, but it never occured to me as a layman that you'd get badly fucked-up people just arrived in A&E saying it, but I suppose you do.  <shudders>

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"

Don't you think you should at least replace his username with "My mate" or something?

1. Twas a deliberate line there

2. That's not a username, it can't identify her AFAIK, poeple on MSN are identified by their email addy - you can change that display name there to anyhting (and people always bloody do).

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"1. Twas a deliberate line there
Eh?  Non comprendre in this context.

Quote2. That's not a username, it can't identify her AFAIK, poeple on MSN are identified by their email addy - you can change that display name there to anyhting (and people always bloody do).
I know what an MSNs are... :-) ...no, it just depends on how much she uses it though.  Some people change their display name ten times a day, others never do.  But if you're happy she's well enough protected, then no problems, I just thought it might be something you'd forgotten about following what you'd said to her.  Only trying to be helpful, not censorious.

Smackhead Kangaroo

I can't help[ but think of the opening to Quincy whenn he introduces them to " the fascinating world of forensic pathology"

I never got to see my brother's one apparently he was too decomposed.

However my Grandfather is on the brink of death and I wonder if whether the depression of death and near death is a matter of just that or if it's more to do with being an enfeebled weak old dependant cripple.

gazzyk1ns

Re: Sheep

Yeah but the point being that nobody can know who she is for sure from that screen name, even if she kept it permanently (which she doesn't). With that thing up there, I meant that I deliberately said "nobody else will hear..." to be funny. I know her, she'll be OK with it, I can see how it might look though. Obviously there was nothing incriminating in there anyway, which did surprise me a little bit. Hehe having said that, next time I see her, regardless of what she's actually wearing, I'll see her in some bloody ribs.

No need to explain yourself, you saw a wrong and sought to right it, no problems there.

Cerys

I've never seen a dead person, believe it or not.  I like to think that I'd be able to cope; but then how can I guarantee that, given that it'd be an utterly new experience?

daveytaylor

Quote from: "Cerys"I've never seen a dead person, believe it or not.  I like to think that I'd be able to cope; but then how can I guarantee that, given that it'd be an utterly new experience?

It would depend on who it was and the context as well. If you saw Jeffrey Archer impailed on a spike at Aber University then it would be very difficult to get upset at all.

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
I've seen enough curious things during some of these instances to keep my mind very open to the possibilities of the afterlife...

I don't think you can get away with saying that without being asked to elaborate really... go on.

I don't wish to do that... I'll just take it back instead and deny I said it.

Gazeuse

I've got a mate who is an undetaker. He likes to say he's in removals.

It's quite strange seeing him drive around town in his hearse...You have to look really carefully to make sure he doesn't have a 'passenger' before you wave and shout, "Heloooooooo, Matey!!!" at him.

We were on a train once and had a 'passenger on the tracks' incident. He went down to the front of the train and came back and said that the feller was still alive, so I said, "So there was nothing you could do, then?"

I thought it was funny.

Still Not George

Quote from: "daveytaylor"It would depend on who it was and the context as well. If you saw Jeffrey Archer impailed on a spike at Aber University then it would be very difficult to get upset at all.

I'd be upset - that I'd missed the impaling, mostly.

wasp_f15ting

I feel like some kind of loner freako compared to you all :(

As I have said before its a bit different over in India, takes ages for bodies to be removed from roads and stuff. But first time I saw anyone die, was an old lady who tied rocks around her person, and chucked herself into a well near my house (i'll take a pic of this well, in march when i go to India and show you all) my mam and I heard this nasty splash, so I went with her to see what was happening with a torch, my mum pointed the torch into the water, and I saw the back of this lady going into the water as bubbles appeared on the surface :S Thats pretty much stuck in my head for ages..

Other than that my dad's village clinic always catared for people who had been in fights etc, you know cut up shoulders necks that kind of thing. Road accidents are a many over there.. I really do mean that, there are far less cars in India than the UK I think (not too sure) but there are far too many accidents, most from drunk lorry drivers who believe themselves to be above the law :roll: I saw a funeral there too, they carry bodies open so you can't really not "see" the body. wasnae scary at the time, but I can see how it could be.

Gazeuse

My brother saw an old chap aparrently asleep at a bus stop in the High Street last year. He walked back again half an hour later and saw the poor old feller , now diagnosed as dead, being gently covered up and put into an ambulance.

You do have to wait an age for the 384 sometimes.

DrJ

As an A&E worker I too can attest that stuff happens.  I also spent a year teaching anatomy to medical students.  Unfortunately there's a worsening shortage of cadavers for dissection, which appears to be a reaction in part to organ-retention scandals, etc.  It's a pity because I feel it's an essential part of medical school teaching as well as having an element of "rites of passage" about it all.  At the end of my teaching year, one member of staff would go to represent the college at each of the funerals.  I ended up going to my first cremation, which was interesting.

Krang

Quotethey cut the skin from ear to ear and then fold it back over the face so as not to damage it.
they then take and electric circular saw to the head to cut through the skull !!!!!!
(with the babies they use sissors)

*bluegh*

interesting though. I dont think i would enjoy it though.

That said, i did work experience at the local vets (where my mum works). I watched one of the guys doing an operation on a dog to remove a large cist from its bladder. despite being stood 4/5ft away, i almost got squirted by some of the fluids flying out of this crazy canine.

Unfortunatly, it was too late for the dog, and it died in the operating theatre. However i did get the chance to do some stitching on it, which was alot harder than they made it look, i managed to do 1 stitch on the dog in about 15 minutes.

fum

I saw my niece's 8 month old daughter at the funeral parlour, before the funeral.

Unfortunately it had been so long between death and the funeral (due to post mortem) that her fingers had srivelled and gone black.

I'll never forget that, she was such a beautiful baby.

Luckily I didn't see the bloke next door, I was the one who phoned the ambulance after dave had a look with the neighbour.

Dirty Boy

I saw the body of one of my grans neighbours when i was about 9/10.We used to get his shopping and stuff cos he was so old and frankly (and maybe understandably due to his close proximity of one of my relatives) had gone pretty looney tunes over time (lobbing soup cans at birds, spitting on his cats to clean them etc....another story entirely).One morning we went round as we usually did every week only to get no reply.Long story short-i ended up climbing in the back window and immediately smelling shit and piss (still, that's pensioners for you right) and then seeing some legs sticking out the door in the other room.I just remember looking for some time and not being overly shocked.It was just pretty surreal seeing how sad he looked.I still dunno if this contributed to me being so unfazed by most things in later life.I'm sure given half the chance most psychiatrists would have a field day with this knowledge...

daveytaylor

Quote from: "Still Not George"
Quote from: "daveytaylor"It would depend on who it was and the context as well. If you saw Jeffrey Archer impailed on a spike at Aber University then it would be very difficult to get upset at all.

I'd be upset - that I'd missed the impaling, mostly.

But think of the fun you could have hanging off his legs.

chumfatty

I saw and old bloke die on the bus when I was in my teens, he had a heart attack in the isle and died where he lay. I was sitting at the back with a friend (cos i'm well-hard) and we had to climb over the body to get of the bus. Up to that point It was the most traumatic thing I experienced.

Now I work as SOCO and have seen in excess of 50 dead bodies and handled same in various different scenarios and have no problem with this, although not nice my professionalism takes over *smug* .

Although the opportunities for mirth are rife i find that most people who are in the same field tend to treat them with a bit of dignity and respect.