Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

If you like X, you might like Y

Started by alan nagsworth, April 02, 2012, 07:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

So this is a thing on reddit wot I saw and I thought it would be a pretty good request/shout thread idea too. A place for people to ask for recommendations they might not find in the usual places. Last.fm tips you off based on what other listeners are mostly fans of, and the tagging system, but I find that sometimes music concepts go a lot deeper and deserve more recognition based on feelings and not just similar genres. You might find that some dreamy trip-hop reminds you of a certain post-rock band and feel the need to vent the connection. You may really enjoy the dreamy, drunken feel to some of Deftones' music and wish to find something in the same vein, without just getting recommendations for Chino Moreno side-projects. It's also fun to branch off in quote replies and different tangents which is something I find is lost in the myriad of single-post/'retweeting' methods of most music sites/applications.

So, I've just found this guy Tobacco who makes distorted and woozy instrumental hip hop, I instantly noticed it sounds really similar to the beats and instrumentation of Mr. Oizo, with nods also to Air and Boards of Canada, or perhaps even Hudson Mohawke without being so ridiculously clusterfucky. It's a lot lighter and even though it's a little bit dark and mysterious, it's also really fun. It sounds kinda childlike in places, again a lot like Mr. Oizo and if you've never heard BS 2000 - the infectiously joyous hip-pop side-project of Beastie Boys' Adrock - I would highly recommend that too! Simply Mortified is simply magnificent.

Tobacco - Tape Eater -> Mr. Oizo - No Day Massacre

Tobacco - Little Pink Riding Hood -> BS 2000 - NY is Good

Yeah!

Serge

I don't know if you already know that Tobacco is a side project from one of the guys in Black Moth Super Rainbow, who have also been compared at various times to Boards Of Canada and Air. The new Clark album, 'Iradelphic' also has a very BoC feel in some places.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, I never really got into BMSR to be honest. I think yer man Thick and Creamy or yer man Pie Pie Eater recommended them to me, or perhaps neither of them did... I might be thinking of Three Trapped Tigers. I didn't like them. Perhaps I've never heard BMSR at all? Oh no!

That new Clark album is really great stuff, in a massively understated way. He's obviously ventured way out now and is creating much more diverse work, and as a result the overall product has been slated by a lot of fans for being too formulaic. I disagree and think it has a gorgeous sound that is typically Clark, who has done not much wrong over the course of his last three albums at least. He's Warp's best artist at the moment, I would say. Never really got the big deal with that Bibio guy, or Clark's involvement with him.

I accept the terms of the

BMSR are just creepily wearing BoC's skins. It's a bad copy with no subtlety or finesse.

Bibio was great until he decided to do stuff that isn't rusted electro folk. Be more one-note, Bibio.

Pie Pie Eater

Yeah I (repeatedly) recommended Three Trapped Tigers - sorry! Really looking forward to the new Clark album though. I am also weirdly excited about the new Squarepusher album, despite having felt for a while that he had no more to offer.

I love Vignetting The Compost and Ambivalence Avenue, but they are the only Bibio albums I really listen to now. Thought Mind Bokeh was decent but sort of pointless.

momatt

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on April 02, 2012, 08:53:44 PM
Bibio was great until he decided to do stuff that isn't rusted electro folk. Be more one-note, Bibio.

I really love the way Bibio's recent two albums are so varied.  All sorts of styles and he's great at all of them.  The albums still come together in a nice way though.  The most interesting stuff I've heard in a long time.
Mind Bokeh is probably my favourite.

Another artist to check if you like Boards of Canada is Tycho.  Similar analogue wooziness and great production, but with a bit of a punk funk vibe too.
His graphic design work is worth a look too.
http://www.tychomusic.com/

Tycho is even worse than BMSR, IMO. When I heard him (okay, several years ago, maybe he found his way eventually) it was obviously just straight copying, even down to the song titles. Again, it meant nothing, had no natural groove or understanding to it.

BoC works because it taps into the pure fucking fear and magic of being a child and seeing something like a scary ident on TV. Tycho... works as an approximation of their style with just enough skill that it would make a reasonable stock tune for Sky Guide background music.

Hearing Tycho trying to be BoC is like hearing an American saying "cor blimey bloody bollocks mate!" as an attempt to sound English.

Copying BoC badly is practically a genre in itself. You can download all the VSTs you like and make 100 albums with saturated pictures of trees on the cover, but you'll still never make me feel like I'm six years old and wondering why a pylon is buzzing at me like BoC can.

momatt

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on April 04, 2012, 08:50:30 PM
BoC works because it taps into the pure fucking fear and magic of being a child and seeing something like a scary ident on TV. Tycho... works as an approximation of their style with just enough skill that it would make a reasonable stock tune for Sky Guide background music.

Which Tycho album are you going by?  I really like Dive, but haven't heard any older stuff like Past is Prologue.  But sounds like you wouldn't recommend it.
He definitely is aping BoC's style a fair bit but brings something else to it as well I think.

I kind of agree with you, but I need something to help get over my BoC addiction.  Tycho works like a Boc patch till I can get some more of the real shit.
The emotions that BoC brings out are very odd, and quite well put by you.

My favourite of Tycho's is his remix, Little Dragon - "Little Man" (Tycho Remix).  I encorange you to give it a whirl, really quite beautiful.

Quote from: momatt on April 05, 2012, 01:30:09 PMI kind of agree with you, but I need something to help get over my BoC addiction.  Tycho works like a Boc patch till I can get some more of the real shit.
Understandable. I am going entirely by Past Is Prologue, which is very unfair of me but serves him bloody right.

momatt

Snigger...
I recommend Dive if you fancy giving him another chance.