Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Do you fink I wanna 'ear any o' that, nayah?"

Started by v00n, April 09, 2012, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

v00n

Drug dealer to Chris Morris, All Saints Road Brixton, 1997.

v00n

On a complete whim, I looked for Brass Eye on YouTube, found this, watched it, and reflected.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4f4oy2M_Og

Over 15 years ago, but nothing since has come close to it in that revelatory, iconoclastic way.

Has TV comedy gone backwards? Are we GODDAM OLD LADIES?

v00n

Quote from: v00n on April 09, 2012, 05:29:43 PM
On a complete whim, I looked for Brass Eye on YouTube, found this, watched it, and reflected.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4f4oy2M_Og

Over 15 years ago, but nothing since has come close to it in that revelatory, iconoclastic way.

Has TV comedy gone backwards? Are we GODDAM OLD LADIES?

The resounding silence indicates that it's a fucking great big YES.

Jobey

One of the funniest things I've ever seen. To this day.

Garam

Watched that episode last night for the first time in years, coincidentally. Total avalanche of laughter, despite knowing all the curves. Dream of Morris performing again one day.

v00n

Quote from: Garam on April 11, 2012, 12:55:17 PM
Watched that episode last night for the first time in years, coincidentally. Total avalanche of laughter, despite knowing all the curves. Dream of Morris performing again one day.

Hope he will. He is one of the most quick-witted and inventive performers, above all else.  Stuff he has personally delivered, or appeared in, surpasses all the writing and direction. His collaborations with Pete Baynham, Sgt Murphy, Paul Gardner... they bring the best (and worst) out of the man.

All this must be really old hat on here by now, but Neil knows what I mean.

Quote from: Jobey on April 11, 2012, 12:09:59 PM
One of the funniest things I've ever seen. To this day.

Ditto.

The title of this thread is probably 1 of the weaker lines of the exchanges with aforementioned chemist.

Love the opening bit of this episode. 'What's a clarky-can?' LMAO.

v00n

Quote from: Ralph Cifaretto on April 11, 2012, 11:29:38 PM
Ditto.

The title of this thread is probably 1 of the weaker lines of the exchanges with aforementioned chemist.

Love the opening bit of this episode. 'What's a clarky-can?' LMAO.

I chose it because it's such a pathetic sentence.

This guy is a renegade, plying his trade in the dark, on one of London's meanest streets... and that's the best he can come up with. etc.

Quote from: v00n on April 11, 2012, 11:34:33 PM
I chose it because it's such a pathetic sentence.

This guy is a renegade, plying his trade in the dark, on one of London's meanest streets... and that's the best he can come up with. etc.

It makes me laugh when Morris is bowling round with that helmet on. And the black geezer wants to touch it, like what is this made of?

v00n

Quote from: Ralph Cifaretto on April 12, 2012, 12:40:34 AM
It makes me laugh when Morris is bowling round with that helmet on. And the black geezer wants to touch it, like what is this made of?

I think it's the top of one of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/BelishaBeacon2750Canthusus.jpg/220px-BelishaBeacon2750Canthusus.jpg

Replies From View

My favourite episode of Brass Eye.  And as others have said, hasn't aged badly at all and nothing has come close to it since.  It puts Gervais' claims to controversy where they belong, really.

I think the Drugs episode is the one on the DVD with a couple of homeless guys taking it at face value in a commentary.  I always thought it'd have been a more interesting experiment to feature more educated but ignorant people on the other episodes, taking them at an equally face value.

Custard

It's 'clarkey-cat', isn't it?

One of my best pal's surnames is Clarke, SO GUESS WHAT WE CALL HIM

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on April 12, 2012, 08:41:16 AM

I think the Drugs episode is the one on the DVD with a couple of homeless guys taking it at face value in a commentary.  I always thought it'd have been a more interesting experiment to feature more educated but ignorant people on the other episodes, taking them at an equally face value.

Oh yeah, I was going to mention this.

Had the DVD years ago and put the commentary on. Are you talking about the geezers on the commentary talking like the cockney thug? I havent heard it in years but who are they? what are they chatting about?

Replies From View

Quote from: Ralph Cifaretto on April 12, 2012, 09:47:28 AM
Oh yeah, I was going to mention this.

Had the DVD years ago and put the commentary on. Are you talking about the geezers on the commentary talking like the cockney thug? I havent heard it in years but who are they? what are they chatting about?

I think they're just a couple of homeless guys - no information is given about them, they're just sitting there in a booth, it seems, watching the episode and cracking open cans of alcohol as they watch.  It's been a while since I saw it with the commentary, and my memory is hazy but I faintly recall hearing Morris' voice coming through faintly on their headphones.  When they see Morris on screen they sometimes say "it's him, it's him" - presumably referring to the guy they've been talking to earlier in the day and is giving them additional, presumably false, information as they watch.   They take it all at face value, but find a lot of it silly/absurd.  I can't remember if they ever realise it's a comedy but it may dawn on them.  I'm assuming they were paid for their contribution, in money and not just alcohol.

When the DVD came out a lot of people felt short-changed by the lack of insightful extras, and were particularly annoyed by the commentary, but I thought it had potential as an idea, a bit of a missed opportunity but still very interesting.  They should have extended it so it wasn't just homeless guys being clueless.  They could have easily found professionals who'd never seen Brass Eye, arranged different ones for specific episodes and prepared them for something like Panorama, placated them with wine and got their reactions too.

DJ One Record

Quote from: Ralph Cifaretto on April 11, 2012, 11:29:38 PM
Ditto.

Oddly enough, I think it's one of the funniest. As it's part of a montage, you don't really get the full context of it - why is it that the dealer specifically doesn't want to hear "any o' that, nayah?" What is it about that time then that made him not want to hear it? And furthermore, instead of the general "stop your nonsense" tone that he had in the first section, there's such an intonation of "it's not my problem, mate" on that line that it sounds more like a lovers' tiff than a discussion about drugs. In short, it's possibly my favourite line of the episode.

Quote from: DJ One Record on April 12, 2012, 10:22:59 AM
Oddly enough, I think it's one of the funniest. As it's part of a montage, you don't really get the full context of it - why is it that the dealer specifically doesn't want to hear "any o' that, nayah?" What is it about that time then that made him not want to hear it? And furthermore, instead of the general "stop your nonsense" tone that he had in the first section, there's such an intonation of "it's not my problem, mate" on that line that it sounds more like a lovers' tiff than a discussion about drugs. In short, it's possibly my favourite line of the episode.

Do you think he recognises Chris even though he's in fancy dress? So 'please, no more of that wordplay nonsense'?

Idk, just the whole opening exchange is just fire. Yellow bentines. Chris correcting the clarky-cat numerous times. The drug dealer not knowing what any of it means. (He's not the only 1. I still have no idea what The Day Today and On the Hour are about. And I've been involved in their world for 8 years. I feel sorry for an African-Caribbean immigrant, just trying to do his job on the All Saints Road. And you get (at certain moments eg. what's that jessop jessop jessop shit all about?) the original Noel Fielding harrassing you).

Thanks for posting OP. Like all great music (and unlike 99% of comedy), I can watch that clip over and over again, and never tire of it.

kitsofan34

Just watched this last night and my god, it is absoloutely fantastic. Morris goes through such a wide array of different characters in a 30 minute show, it's incredibly impressive.

My favourite bit was with the MP, where a single sound to cake users became a rather complex song.

Watched the Peadogeddon episode afterwards too, which I actually thought wasn't as good as the Drugs one, albeit still of a very high standard.

v00n

Quote from: DJ One Record on April 12, 2012, 10:22:59 AM

I love you.

v00n

Quote from: kitsofan34 on April 12, 2012, 04:23:49 PM
Just watched this last night and my god, it is absoloutely fantastic. Morris goes through such a wide array of different characters in a 30 minute show, it's incredibly impressive.

My favourite bit was with the MP, where a single sound to cake users became a rather complex song.

Watched the Peadogeddon episode afterwards too, which I actually thought wasn't as good as the Drugs one, albeit still of a very high standard.

A cut-down Paedogeddon would have worked better as part of one of the original shows. C4 must have loved the publicity. I never understood why they didn't offer him a second series.

To be honest, I appreciate it more in a "I'm glad he did it" kind of way than a "laughing my cock off" kind of way.