Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,323
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mices

Started by Blumf, April 11, 2012, 03:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you look for in a mouse?

Balls!
1 (20%)
A second option!
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Blumf

I'm in the market for a wireless mouse, and the range is surprisingly crap. Too small, unwanted features that get in the way, gigantic USB dongles. It's nearly impossible to find one that's just right.

Add to that my brand prejudices and it's a nightmare:
I avoid Logitech, every one I've had has died within a year.

I like Microsoft, but their current range is either Win7 only[nb]It's normal mouse emulation is iffy, I'll wait for proper Linux driver multi-touch support[/nb], or has those horrible tilt-wheels that irritate me. Maybe this one, but I'm not convinced.

Not sure about the Apple ones, but like all Apple products I get the horrible 'you're being ripped off' feeling.

Then there's the other 'brands', ugh! Feel dirty thinking about it, which is unfair of me really.

Cherry do some that might fit. I'm a Cherry keyboard fanboy but I've never tried their mice.

Whatever, I'll muddle through, but how fussy are you about your pointer?

mook

i've got one of these:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/3480540/art/logitech/mx-anywhere-wireless-lase.html?srcid=11270&nopopup=1

it's nice and heavy, i like that in a mouse for some reason and it even works when i use my wife's sickeningly hairy back as a mousemat.

mouse... 8/10.

wife's back pelt... 11/10 phwaoor.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: mook on April 11, 2012, 03:44:13 PM
i've got one of these:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/3480540/art/logitech/mx-anywhere-wireless-lase.html?srcid=11270&nopopup=1

it's nice and heavy, i like that in a mouse for some reason and it even works when i use my wife's sickeningly hairy back as a mousemat.

mouse... 8/10.

wife's back pelt... 11/10 phwaoor.

I know the real reason you like it. It comes with a carrying pouch.

5 quid from B&M, like you say it'll die in a year so why spunk proper money away on it.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blumf on April 11, 2012, 03:29:59 PM...Add to that my brand prejudices and it's a nightmare:
I avoid Logitech, every one I've had has died within a year.

I like Microsoft, but their current range is either Win7 only[nb]It's normal mouse emulation is iffy, I'll wait for proper Linux driver multi-touch support[/nb], or has those horrible tilt-wheels that irritate me. Maybe this one, but I'm not convinced....

Microsoft ones always used to be made by Logitech – as far as I'm aware, they still are. I thought Logitech guarantee their mice for longer, but even if they don't, you should be able to get some joy from the seller as under the Sales of Goods Act, you should reasonably expect a mouse to last longer.

Personally, I would go to a PC World as they have lots on display and get a feel for one you like – I'd be very reluctant to buy one without testing. Currently, I'm using a Logitech G700 – serves me well.

mook

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 11, 2012, 03:51:42 PM
I know the real reason you like it. It comes with a carrying pouch.

5 quid from B&M, like you say it'll die in a year so why spunk proper money away on it.

does it. i didn't get a carrying pouch! not for the first time in my life i've got pouch envy.

i think i paid ~£25 for it from curry's or the other one. my old mouse had buggered up so i needed one sharpish, i'm not a fan of the trackpad me. i wanted a bluetooth one, they didn't have one so i ended up with this one, and no pouch. NO POUCH!!!!!

Blumf

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 11, 2012, 03:54:24 PM
Microsoft ones always used to be made by Logitech – as far as I'm aware, they still are.

No idea, but going back to the early 90s MS ones have lasted where as Logitech just die, or start playing up (last one I had started miss-registering clicks as double-clicks). Tends to be the only reason I've had to change a MS mouse was to keep up with changes in tech.

In fact the only MS mouse I've had problems with is the one I'm aiming to replace now (middle click died and it had a habit of crashing! Had to pull the battery quiet often to reset it. Maybe Logitech do make the current gen of MS mice)

biggytitbo

The logitech ones are fantastic, I've got this one at the mo -  http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/mice/devices/wireless-mouse-m525

The battery life on these things is astonishing. I think I've had this one nearly 2 years and not changed the batteries yet.

You've been unlucky - I would say just get a decent Logitech with Nano receiver.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: Blumf on April 11, 2012, 04:12:20 PMlast one I had started miss-registering clicks as double-clicks

Sometimes the microswitches get a bit gunked up with fluff and dust etc. Electrical contact cleaner/lube spray has fixed this for me with every mouse that's suffered click problems.

I've used Bluetooth for both mouse and keyboard for a few years. With many wireless transmitters you can get patchy range reception depending on the quality/position of the transmitter.

Bluetooth works great if you're sat a decent distance away from the PC. I'm about 3 meters away currently destroying my eyes on a LCD telly.

I'm typing this with a BT keyboard designed for the PS3 which I bought considerably cheaper on eBay as mine has an italian key layout configured as UK.

Best Bluetooth mouse? I've been through about four of these as the scrollwheel up function goes a bit notchy after about 9 months of heavy use. Again, eBay for about £20.

Obviously, you'll need a small USB Bluetooth dongle plugged into the PC, and I've used the same Logitech one for about 5 years.

Power is great, as Bluetooth was originally designed for mobiles and the like, so changing the batteries is few and far between.

Jim Jarmusch

Well this thread is no help. None of them look all that ergonomic.

I want a replacement for my old Logitech. They do a Performance MX that looks similar and front runner right now.

It tracks on glass which is a bonus if it really works. Charges through USB.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002L3TSKC/ref=nosim/?tag=codanbod

chocky909

I've been using a Logitech trackball like this...

... for the last couple of years but my right thumb has been getting very painful which I suspect is down to RSI. There doesn't seem to be a huge range of trackballs to choose from which I find surprising given how bloody useful they are for sofa and bed based browsing.

Anyway, I'm using a small Logitech optical mouse with my laptop which comes with one of those nano recievers. I use a wired laser mouse with my desktop. I can find model numbers if anyone actually cares.

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 26, 2012, 04:21:16 PM
They do a Performance MX that looks similar and front runner right now.

It tracks on glass which is a bonus if it really works. Charges through USB.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002L3TSKC/ref=nosim/?tag=codanbod

I bought this a few weeks ago. Pretty nice mouse. My phone uses same charging cable, so I have it plugged in next to my monitor, so I charge now and then without thinking. But I'd guess battery life is about a week, depending on use. But as I said, it's easy to charge, and works as a wired mouse when charging anyway.

Jim Jarmusch

Yeah them trackballs look like they would also cause me trouble. I want to start use it for mainly illustrator and video editing. I have arthritis in my right hand so want the most comfortable option which rules out Apple.

If I needed a second mouse for travelling I'd consider this Microsoft one and try it out in maybe PC World.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XUJ85M/ref=nosim/?tag=codanbod

The Logitech Performance looks my best option.

Replies From View

(The one on the left.)

Ignatius_S

Quote from: chocky909 on July 26, 2012, 04:38:49 PM
I've been using a Logitech trackball like this......... for the last couple of years but my right thumb has been getting very painful which I suspect is down to RSI. There doesn't seem to be a huge range of trackballs to choose from which I find surprising given how bloody useful they are for sofa and bed based browsing....

Trackballs were always something of a niche and even more – as you say, there's a pretty small range. I seemed to hear the claim that they were more ergonometric, but that's died away. For the best part of a decade, I used a Microsoft Optical Trackball (which utilised the thumb-ball design like the one you had) – and it was brilliant... people never could work out how I could play games with it, but I just found it so easy to use.

I had exactly the kind of problem you mentioned with the thumb, which hasn't flared up again.

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 26, 2012, 04:59:44 PM...The Logitech Performance looks my best option.

Personally, I prefer the Logitech G700 – it's very similar to the MX Performance, but has more configurable buttons and I find it more comfortable to use.

Have you looked at Evoluent mice? I've never used them myself, but read good things.

Jim Jarmusch

That's a beast of a mouse. It looks like the Tumbler. Do you use the G700 with your Mac? I read on the Logitech forums there is no support for it. Something to do with creating profiles and managing your preferences that's stored on the mouse itself.

The Evoluent is one I'll keep in mind for the future.

mcbpete

My current Microsoft mouse has been going like a trooper - You can date it by it have some decal for Age of Empires II on't top (for some reason that made it about 10 quid cheaper than then normal Microsoft mouse). So looking at Wikipedia that makes it almost 13 years old - Absolutely no signs of dying. It's going to bloody break now isn't it ...

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on July 26, 2012, 08:02:31 PM
....That's a beast of a mouse. It looks like the Tumbler. Do you use the G700 with your Mac? I read on the Logitech forums there is no support for it. Something to do with creating profiles and managing your preferences that's stored on the mouse itself.

The Evoluent is one I'll keep in mind for the future.

Yup, I do - I also use a Contour Shuttle with my Mac, so haven't configured the G700 as much as I could! That's a really good point about the software and I really should have mentioned it - sorry! If you run Windows, you can set it up that way (personally, I don't feel it's an elegant method but it works). Alternatively, there are third party apps (for a long time, the developer of those were adding three-button mouse support for Macs, so I have something of a soft spot for them).

Jim Jarmusch

The white Logitech mouse I posted earlier was marketed as a Mac device together with a keyboard. That had software bundled with it to alter the buttons. It's a bit daft they don't offer support with the G700 just because it's categorised as gaming. They're normally a strong Apple friendly company with the amount of iPad accessories they produce. Whatever comes up as the next deal will influence my decision I want a big discount if I'm going for something with quality.

Replies From View