Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:28:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the most you've ever spent on a game?

Started by Consignia, April 11, 2012, 03:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

I'm willing to bet it's not as much Resident Evil 6's limited edition: 105000 Yen]http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-11-resident-evil-6-premium-edition-costs-817]105000 Yen or around £813 in Lizzie heads. I can't imagine many fans forking over that, especially as the game is looking decidedly mediocre at this point.

I've personally bought a couple of silly priced limited editions, I can't remember the prices off hand at the moment, but only 1 or 2 over £100. Most of that's usually import tax, anyway.

Gavin M

Not me, but I know some people who have spent hundreds on Railworks, collecting all the DLC routes, trains etc.

NoSleep

I wanted to play Tempest 2000 by Jeff Minter, so I purchased the game (£35 + £3 p&p), an Atari Jaguar console + gamepad (£60 + £14 p&p), an extra gamepad (£10.50) and a scart lead (£18.50) for it.

Total: £141. It was worth it.

I bought Doom, Defender 2000 & Syndicate for the Jaguar, too.

Jerzy Bondov

I really don't get the point of these things[nb]I do really, they make money, but go with me anyway[/nb]. How am I supposed to know if I like a game enough to want extra levels, a new gun, a statue of the main character, a mouse mat, an extra large t-shirt, a set of postcards, a pewter goblet, a tea towel, a limited edition numbered commemorative coin, a life-size cardboard cut-out of a bug alien, a signed drawing of a big frowning man holding a chainsaw, or whatever, before I've even played the fucking thing? When the first Gears of War came out they had posters in shops saying 'PRE-ORDER NOW LADS AND GET A METAL BOX', to which the correct response was 'What's Gears of War?'

That said I got The Beatles: Rock Band for full price on the day it came out, with the drums and Hofner bass replica and all that, and then watched in horror as the price plummeted. I think I paid £160 for it. But at least the stuff you got with that actually had a purpose. It didn't come with a ceramic bust of Ringo Starr that would have gone in a skip the next time I moved house.

Mary is not amused

Quote from: NoSleep on April 11, 2012, 03:48:10 PM
I wanted to play Tempest 2000 by Jeff Minter, so I purchased the game (£35 + £3 p&p), an Atari Jaguar console + gamepad (£60 + £14 p&p), an extra gamepad (£10.50) and a scart lead (£18.50) for it.

Total: £141. It was worth it.

For those less... dedicated than NoSleep: you too may experience space bacon & melt-o-vision.  It is worth it, even if you take the poor man's route like me.

Neil

About 80 quid for Street Fighter II on the Snes, to import it from America, then another 20 quid or so for an adaptor so the cart would fit. 

This time last year, I spent around...hmm, 200 quid for a Chun Li joystick.  Sanwa parts, venticular facia, looks beautiful, blue, see-through.  Just fucking OCD wanted it, never mind the fact I couldn't afford it.  Put birthday money towards it, paid people back for aaages, got it imported from America, had to pay a hefty import fee etc.  Then of course, I can never stay playing the same game for very long without getting bored, so after a month or two, I let it sit there.  But it will always be something I come back to - as I did recently with the release of Street Fighter X Tekken - and I do love it to bits.

Still Not George

Slaaaaabs

I spent £70 to import Fire Pro Wrestling D for the Dreamcast. Easily got value for money from it as well, marvelous game!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Given I haven't played anything else but Skyrim on this 360 yet, £120.

Dark Sky

I paid about £40 for a rare boxed copy of Harlan Ellison's philosophical sci-fi point and click horror adventure game, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.  It was a beautiful thing, and - at that price - quite bargainous, as I'd seen them go for way more on eBay.

Then my mum threw the box away.

Jerzy Bondov

If they brought out a special edition of something like Grim Fandango or Magicland Dizzy I'd get that, for the same reason I've got the Criterion edition of Brazil with all the alternate cuts. Look here's the BULLSHIT happy ending they tried to force on the Oliver twins! But a special edition for a game I've not even played yet? Utter madness.

mobias

For about 6 months back in 2007 it was £475 for Motorstorm on the PS3. I bought the console on launch day and for six months there were no other games worth having on the PS3.

Big Jack McBastard

This should include DLC costs if any.

In my case then probably Fallout 3 and all its expansions think I got the last one discounted though so probably something like £70 in total on one title, meted out over time it doesn't seem so bad but I'd question my own sanity if I seriously considered picking up anything over £45.

Hangthebuggers

Probably world of warcraft and my subsequent two year addiction on a pay per month scheme, involving the original item and 2 subsequent add-ons.

:/

Space ghost

I spent £120 on an imported copy of Final fantasy 6 and the special adapter you needed to play it on UK console in 1994 when 120 quid was 120 quid

NoSleep

Quote from: Mary is not amused on April 11, 2012, 03:55:33 PM
For those less... dedicated than NoSleep: you too may experience space bacon & melt-o-vision.  It is worth it, even if you take the poor man's route like me.

I really would have loved for somebody to have developed an emulator (I had the ROM all waiting) but nobody made one for the PowerPC Macs. I think there might be an early beta that might just work and I definitely know you can play it on an Intel Mac (one way or another), but I still don't own one of those.

Tokyo Sexwhale

£37 or so on Skyrim.  And I've had 5 months play out of it.

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on April 12, 2012, 07:18:18 PM
£37 or so on Skyrim.  And I've had 5 months play out of it.

That's another thread: bargains. I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 when it went on sale for around 20 euros. But I put over 300 hours into that. BF3 I preordered for 60 euros, last Autumn, but I'm well over 200 hours into it already.

Paaaaul

Probably about £15 or so for Lords Of Midnight on the Spectrum.

I don't think I've paid over £12.99 for an Xbox game yet. I'm happy to wait for 6 months for prices to plummet.

buntyman

I recall Turok 2 on the N64 being my solitary Christmas present one year with my mum having paid about £70 for it.

mook

roughly about £2000 to play driver on the pc, and then didn't.

sometime in the late 90s i saw a clip of the game driver on some telly show and quite liked the look of it, so bought it. but i couldn't get it to work on the pc we had at the time, after a rudimentary google (actually probably yahoo in those days) read that it might have something to do either the graphics card or the soundcard, so i went out and bought a voodoo 3000 (?) 3d graphics card and a new soundblaster soundcard, the pair of them cost about £300 and still the fucking game wouldn't work properly. by this time i'm proper narked and being a very impatient man kopped the strop with the pc and gave it to my girlfriend's dad. and went out and had a new pc built at the cost of £1660, and here's the kicker, i'd just finished refurbing my new house and the poxy game got lost in the move. fucking marvellous. i did buy it again a couple of years later and didn't think all that much of it. FML.

buntyman

The disc was left in the drive of the computer you gave to your girlfriend's dad. He adjusted a few anti-aliasing setting and was able to play the game through on the hardware he was provided with.

Lee Van Cleef

As someone above said, it's likely WoW.  With the original game and three expansions, and a few years of monthly payments, it all added up.

That said it's a cheaper addiction than crack.

mook

Quote from: buntyman on April 13, 2012, 11:32:40 AM
The disc was left in the drive of the computer you gave to your girlfriend's dad. He adjusted a few anti-aliasing setting and was able to play the game through on the hardware he was provided with.

was it? the bastard. mind, i have done his daughter up the wrong 'un so perhaps that's just karma getting at me.

mcbpete

Quote from: buntyman on April 13, 2012, 11:02:37 AM
I recall Turok 2 on the N64 being my solitary Christmas present one year with my mum having paid about £70 for it.
Am I right in thinking it needed some funky RAM upgrade to get it to work on the system? The guys who made worked on Bandersnatch must be turning in their grave for doing so successfully (well the dead ones)

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: mcbpete on April 13, 2012, 02:50:23 PM
Am I right in thinking it needed some funky RAM upgrade to get it to work on the system? The guys who made worked on Bandersnatch must be turning in their grave for doing so successfully (well the dead ones)
If I remember, it didn't need the RAM expansion pak to run, but using the pak increased (doubled?) the screen resolution of the game and/or textures.

mcbpete

Ah you're right I was to add a hi-res mode, though after a quick google I was surprised that Majora's Mask did actually require it to run (and Donkey Kong 64) - I bet that harmed sales ...

brat-sampson

Easy: Rock Band.

Call it RB3, though you have to include the fact that there are tracks there from all 3 games plus the DLC, first game cost extra as it came with mic, drums and a guitar and third cost more because of the keyboard. Bass is courtesy of a 2nd guitar from an older Guitar Hero.

Total cost easily £200-300, though bugger knows how many fun hours I've put into the trilogy with mates and beers. Worth every penny.

Mary is not amused

Quote from: NoSleep on April 12, 2012, 06:26:31 PM
I really would have loved for somebody to have developed an emulator (I had the ROM all waiting) but nobody made one for the PowerPC Macs. I think there might be an early beta that might just work and I definitely know you can play it on an Intel Mac (one way or another), but I still don't own one of those.

The one I linked to works/worked on my (PowerPC-based) PowerBook G4.

NoSleep

You're running Leopard, I'm guessing, which I don't[nb]And work comes first.[/nb], as it slows down PPCs. Tiger is a better OS for PPC Macs, being the last made with them in mind.

There is a white "stop" symbol concealing the icon of that app under Tiger. I found another emulator that at least would run on a PPC under Tiger, but the screen was split into two halves and they were swapped left for right.

Just tested under Leopard and the same white stop sign shows up. It isn't happening.