Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:54:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the most you've ever spent on a game?

Started by Consignia, April 11, 2012, 03:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

I bought an XBOX 360 just so I could play GTA IV. Guess it was about $300 total. And it got stolen about a month later. FML.

Mary is not amused

Quote from: NoSleep on April 13, 2012, 04:58:49 PM
Just tested under Leopard and the same white stop sign shows up.

Apologies for the confusion.  The Mac version has been updated recently but that forum posting does not indicate that (Grr!).  The current one is indeed Intel only.

PM me if you want an older Universal version that I'm pretty sure ran well on Tiger/PPC.

NoSleep

Does VLM work in the emulator[nb]The cost of the CD-ROM Player add-on is quite a lot more than purchasing a Jaguar[/nb]? That would be of interest to me, but otherwise (remember) I do actually have a Jaguar & Tempest 2000.

Mary is not amused

Quote from: NoSleep on April 13, 2012, 06:22:27 PM
Does VLM work in the emulator?

On Windows, yes, it does work.  Alas, on the Mac, no, it does not (even with the latest Intel-only build).

Quote from: NoSleep on April 13, 2012, 06:22:27 PM
but otherwise (remember) I do actually have a Jaguar & Tempest 2000.

Sure and I'd imagine that is a superior experience overall.  The emulator might be more convenient and, on a laptop, more mobile.

NoSleep

I have Atari's Greatest Hits Volume 1 for the DS if I need to play Tempest on the go.

I may possibly buy an XBox360 purely for the Jeff Minter light synthesiser, Neon, that's built into the machine. Maybe I'll download Space Giraffe, too.

Mary is not amused

Quote from: NoSleep on April 13, 2012, 08:50:30 PM
I may possibly buy an XBox360 purely for the Jeff Minter light synthesiser, Neon, that's built into the machine.

It'll certainly be more visually impressive than Jaguar's VLM.

chocky909

I think you might be disappointed. If you want trippy visuals I'd recommend Milkdrop on the PC. I use it with Foobar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9FUXwtNK0&feature=fvwrel

NoSleep

I like the idea of a Jeff Minter light synthesiser that can be simultaneously controlled by four people using gamepads. Seems more fun than something that only generates visuals from music (iTunes does that).

Neil

All those visualisation plugins are based off Minter's routines, anyway.

Rachel

$265 for Wasteland 2. It doesn't even exist yet. I am fucking mental.
I did originally pledge a less daft $50 but the thought of having it signed by Chris Avellone (among the other developers) made me squee like a fucking Justin Bieber fan. He's so dreamy...

I don't buy games that often, but I do support developers that I like, and along with sending a message to publishers that games like this have a market, I am justifying it that way.

madhair60

£64.98 buying Gitaroo Man twice, once for PS2 and once for PSP.  Worth it.

Papercut

I've spent something approaching 2K on Rock Band by now.

Before that, something like £250 for Steel Batallion on import (Tekki), and similar for that Rez vibrating headphones box set.

Well, I just spent a little over £30 to secure a copy of Project Justice: Rival Schools 2 for the Dreamcast... that's definitely up there with the most I've ever paid for a game that wasn't new and am really only buying for the novelty of having it. Don't even have my Dreamcast in my house right now.

I am reticent to spend £40+ on a copy of Rez for the Dreamcast but no doubt I'll end up doing so one day.

turnstyle

I remember the shock on my parents faces when I shelled out £60 for Super Probotector for the SNES.

This would have been 1992/1993 I guess, and I was only 12/13. I had to save money from my birthday and Christmas to be able to afford it. It was the first game I bought for the console (SF2 came with my SNES, and I played that into the ground), and I made it last. I probably played it for a good two years. It was such a grind initially, but the fact that I'd spent so much on it was incentive enough to keep plugging away. These days I have so many games to choose from I just move onto the next one at the first sign of frustration/boredom.

Simpler, happier times.

hoverdonkey

Back in the day, I bought a new PC so I could play the latest Football Manager. That was probably about £600

momatt

Quote from: Papercut on April 17, 2012, 11:27:59 AM
I've spent something approaching 2K on Rock Band by now.

How is this possible?  Did you buy every game and accessory for every format?  Or is it just much more expensive than I thought?

buntyman

Quote from: The Region Legion on April 17, 2012, 11:53:10 AM

I am reticent to spend £40+ on a copy of Rez for the Dreamcast but no doubt I'll end up doing so one day.

Why don't you get it on the Xbox with the HD graphics?

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on April 13, 2012, 10:27:14 AM
That's another thread: bargains. BF3 I preordered for 60 euros, last Autumn, but I'm well over 200 hours into it already.

Quote from: hoverdonkey on April 18, 2012, 04:36:29 PM
Back in the day, I bought a new PC so I could play the latest Football Manager. That was probably about £600

Whoops, I totally forgot that I also spent 1600 quid on a new PC for BF3...

buntyman

That only counts if you do nothing on this computer apart from playing BF3.

One thing that I just don't understand is what the attraction is with sealed games that seem to go for ludicrous amounts of money on ebay. Why would anyone want to collect sealed copies of old Nintendo games for £600 a pop?

Quote from: buntyman on April 18, 2012, 04:49:51 PM
Why don't you get it on the Xbox with the HD graphics?

I have, which is why I'd even consider spending that much on it for the Dreamcast. That is its true home.

madhair60

Quote from: momatt on April 18, 2012, 04:47:28 PM
How is this possible?  Did you buy every game and accessory for every format?  Or is it just much more expensive than I thought?

Albums/song packs, I assume?

Quote from: Rachel on April 16, 2012, 09:17:50 AM
$265 for Wasteland 2. It doesn't even exist yet. I am fucking mental.
I did originally pledge a less daft $50 but the thought of having it signed by Chris Avellone (among the other developers) made me squee like a fucking Justin Bieber fan. He's so dreamy...

I don't buy games that often, but I do support developers that I like, and along with sending a message to publishers that games like this have a market, I am justifying it that way.

I like the idea of these kickstarters freeing developers from the usual restrictions, but I just don't have a lot of faith in Obsidian. I also believe there will eventually be one infamous catastrophe that causes the gaming community to completely lose faith in kickstarters. Games funded by major publishers are sometimes cancelled for going over the budget and allotted time. Imagine the outrage there will be if and when a kickstarter project is mismanaged and can't be finished or is released in a terrible state. And let's face it, the "little guy" companies who ask for kickstarters, such as Obsidian, are the most likely to show poor business sense and fuck up. New Vegas seemed rushed-out-the-door to me, despite the groundwork having already been done for them.

Anyway, I think the most I ever spent on a game was on Majora's Mask, because I needed to get the Expansion Pak to play it. I can't remember how much it came to, but it took a fair chunk out of my Christmas that year.

Papercut

Quote from: momatt on April 18, 2012, 04:47:28 PM
A bit of both, started on PS3, moved to 360, then ended up getting some of the Wii stuff. I have pretty much all the 360 controllers.

2/3 is probably on controllers and 1/3 is DLC. I have something like 900 songs, but that includes the on-disk ones.

I think I worked out I could have spent 25% of that and still had the same 360 setup... excluding the stage kit maybe.

momatt

Quote from: Papercut on April 27, 2012, 12:11:59 PM
A bit of both, started on PS3, moved to 360, then ended up getting some of the Wii stuff. I have pretty much all the 360 controllers.
2/3 is probably on controllers and 1/3 is DLC. I have something like 900 songs, but that includes the on-disk ones.
I think I worked out I could have spent 25% of that and still had the same 360 setup... excluding the stage kit maybe.

You could have bought a really nice guitar for that.  You maniac.

mook

Quote from: momatt on April 27, 2012, 03:36:24 PM
You could have bought a really nice guitar for that.  You maniac.

or a thousand ukuleles! just imagine that for a minute. ONE THOUSAND UKULELES ALL AT THE SAME TIME!11!!!! fuck my old boots, i've just shuddered.

NoSleep

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: momatt on April 27, 2012, 03:36:24 PMYou could have bought a really nice guitar for that.  You maniac.

Yeah, but if you want to play video games instead of music then spending a couple of grand on a guitar would be a massive waste of money.

buntyman

The most I've ever spent on a game is £338.50 on Gran Turismo 3 on the ps2. It came with the console for £229, I had to spend £7 return on the bus to get it, 80 was spent on the clothes I wore to the shop to buy it and £2.50 went on the breakfast i had which gave me the energy to make the transaction. I think I must have spent a further £20 on electricity in order to play the game but forgot to take accurate meter readings before and after game sessions.

Papercut

I already have a guitar! I can't play it though. As pointed out, Rock Band is about playing a video game, not playing a guitar.

I'm also including the stringed midi Fender Squier in that Rock Band total.

momatt

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on April 29, 2012, 12:17:48 PM
Yeah, but if you want to play video games instead of music then spending a couple of grand on a guitar would be a massive waste of money.

Ha ha, that's very true.  Personally, I prefer games that simulate things you can't really do in reality (murder, destruction, being a blue hedgehog).
But having said that, I have been enjoying DJ Hero lately, despite having some fully-functioning turntables.

Quote from: Papercut on April 30, 2012, 09:43:46 AM
I already have a guitar! I can't play it though. As pointed out, Rock Band is about playing a video game, not playing a guitar.
I'm also including the stringed midi Fender Squier in that Rock Band total.

Didn't know about that, sounds interesting.