Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:56:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Dangerous Method

Started by Stone Cold Jane Austen, April 17, 2012, 04:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I noticed in the best directors thread that a couple of people on here really liked this so I thought I'd start a separate thread.

I personally didn't like the film, I thought it was dull and flat and having the main characters be psychoanalysts, it meant they were constantly explaining their actions and motivations and that gave me nothing to work with.

It's a shame really because I like Cronenberg and was really looking forward to this.

I'd be interested to hear what those of you who liked it have to say.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On the forum index this currently reads

STONE COLD JANE AUSTIN

in

A DANGEROUS METHOD

Mini

I loved it. 3 brilliant central performances, beautifully shot, interesting ideas. A lot of those ideas were dealt with better in Crash, and this wasn't one of Cronenberg's best; not as exciting as he can be. But still, a well-handled, rich film.

Rev

I thought it was a well-handled drink of water.  Well crafted, well acted, but well, not that much of anything.  I was hoping for a story that lived up to the title and it doesn't deliver that, although Freud is amusingly close to being a panto villain at times.  It felt very Sunday afternoon on ITV to me, when I was expecting it to stick the knife into these peoples' methods and have a rummage about.

copylight

I keep watching it up to a certain point but get waylaid. I like what I have seen so far anyway. I have a strong suspicion that Fassbender will fuck the therapy into her, the scenes will be explicit, objectivily interesting and clinically passionless, a Cronenberg film in other words.

Heads up to say that this is in its entirety on youtube btw.

Noodle Lizard

I hated it, to be honest.  Maybe I just had high expectations due to it being a Cronenberg film, but this was a huge misstep.  Aside from the fact that it looked quite nice and had a pretty good cast, it could easily have been a made-for-TV reconstruction for all the narrative and dialogue's worth.  It may as well have been told in bullet-points.