Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Perfect Murder (1998)

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, April 23, 2012, 05:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I decided to give this rewatch last night after not seeing it since around the time of its release. Back then it seemed rather a slick thriller.

However it appears now to have the production values of an early season CSI/Law&Order.

What's more, the plot is creakier than an old floorboard, all three main protagonists at point required to act in a way completely at odds with the latest bit of exposition thrown their way.

And at the end
Spoiler alert
his stock market failings seem like a redundant fallback position, and his death is yawnsomely predictable.
[close]
There were so many more potentially interesting directions it could've taken.

Oh and it features David Suchet as this sort of half-sketched-out all-seeing Detective who seems to speak some language I couldn't quite make out.

It seemed to be stuck inbetween wanting to be a properly idiotic Verhoeven-style clusterfuck movie and wanting to be all stylish and modern. Maybe this is all just glimpsed through the unkind window of time.

So was this ever considered reasonable, or just schlock from the beginning?
And as a side issue, is every film centred around Michael Douglas just inherently rather silly?