Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Totally put me off....

Started by small_world, April 23, 2012, 10:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Borboski on May 01, 2012, 12:18:53 PM
I used to think that - but in retrospect I think Schlinder's List is a pretty respectful portrayal of the holocaust, I don't find that section, it's only a few seconds long.  It's not as though the rest of the film isn't emotionally effecting...

I thought that was one of the best bits of the film. It is easy to just end up seeing the holocaust as a series of statistics and it was good to pick out a single person and show that all those numbers were people. It might be manipulative but then so is most art.

madhair60

astrozombie

I have to agree wholeheartedly with NuclearOptimist about characters putting on records in a ritualistic fashion in films such as "Ghost World", it can just fuck right off!

As we're all being completely picky in here I am going to share something that I mentioned to some friends once and they looked at me as if I was autistic. Sound design which is too crisp really get's on my nerves. The best example of this which springs to mind is in "Watchmen", good film and all, but there's a scene at the beginning where The Comedian is alone making a cup of coffee, there's a close up of him pouring in the water from the kettle and you can hear ever droplet perfectly. I don't know why it get's under my skin so much just always has, other examples is if you see a character walking through the woods and you can clearly hear every twig crunch etc. It will not make me hate the film just shudder to myself.

Finally, I'm sorry I need to digress here, this again does not make me hate the film but just jars me for a moment. Famous well-known director's doing bit-part cameo's in their own films. Especially if it's a trade-mark of theirs i.e Peter Jackson, he always does a bit-part in his films, since realizing this I cannot watch one of his films without a tiny voice in my head reminding me, "I wonder when Pete's face will show up?". Director's should be banned by the Guild from doing that.

Junglist

Just to deviate a little, this popped up on one of my torrent sites, it's an official poster (It's on IMDB anyhoo):

Just...wow. Not sure if it puts me off or makes me desperately want to see it.

Famous Mortimer

I am going to download that film immediately.

danyulx

EDIT: Last one gone.

Hank Venture

Quote from: Junglist on May 10, 2012, 08:40:34 PM
Just to deviate a little, this popped up on one of my torrent sites, it's an official poster (It's on IMDB anyhoo):

Just...wow. Not sure if it puts me off or makes me desperately want to see it.

Something looks seriously off about Julia Roberts' thighs and butt there. Is the built like a praying mantis? Poor photoshoppery.

On-T: Nothing turns me off more than the actors behind the roles. I feel angry when watching Mark Wahlberg no matter how good the film is because of his intense prickery.

Icehaven

That's not Julia Roberts is it?

In Biopics, whenever a famous actor plays the part of another famous person, it almost never works for me. It's hard enough buying into when they're fictional characters, but when they're supposed to be actual people with completely different faces, it just seems ridiculous to try and kid yourself that that isn't Meryl Streep, it's Margaret Thatcher. No it isn't! It's Meryl Streep in a wig doing a voice! And that's the other reason it never works, if I'm familiar with the real person I spend the whole film judging the performance rather than getting into the film, and if I'm not familiar with them I just see the actor, and I get distracted wondering if they're actually doing a good job or not. See also Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash, Anthony Hopkins as Nixon, Gary Oldman as Beethoven, Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde, and so on.
It's even worse when there's loads of them in the same film. Although I actually love the film Chaplin, (mainly just because of Robert Downey Jnr) as a biopic it's almost impossible to suspend your disbelief, because there's RDJ, Dan Ayckroyd, Kevin Kline, Milla Jovovich, John Thaw, Marisa Tomei, Diane Lane, and Nancy Travis (she was famous-ish in 1992), sometimes several of them on screen at the same time, and they're all meant to be real other people, it's absurd.
There are exceptions, Tom Hardy was brilliant as Charles Bronson, but he was also pretty much unrecognisable. My jury's still out on Philip Seymour Hoffman as Capote.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on May 12, 2012, 11:05:40 PM
That's not Julia Roberts is it?

No, it's Liane Balaban (me neither).

Quote from: icehaven on May 12, 2012, 11:05:40 PM
Nancy Travis (she was famous-ish in 1992)

I used to quite fancy her, so it was a shame she dropped out of the spotlight. She's worked consistently in tv since (currently in Tim Allen's new sitcom), but rarely made anything interesting. But hey, if that Three Men and a Little Lady sequel ever gets made, hopefully she'll be rightfully huge again.

Vaguely related, when I see a sitcom actor in a big film, especially if prior to that he or she'd not made any films, it takes me out of the reality of the film. This happened with The Avengers, where I couldn't help but think of one of Nick Fury's Shield lot as the character she plays in How I Met Your Mother, but has happened in the past whenever, I don't know, John Ratzenberger or someone of his ilk turns up on screen.

Icehaven

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 12, 2012, 11:35:22 PM
If that Three Men and a Little Lady sequel ever gets made

Two Old Men, One Prostate Cancer Corpse And A Freudian Nightmare With Triplicate Daddy Issues, coming soon to cinema near etc.

Tokyo Sexwhale

kidsick5000

lazarou

Quote from: astrozombie on May 08, 2012, 12:30:48 PM
As we're all being completely picky in here I am going to share something that I mentioned to some friends once and they looked at me as if I was autistic. Sound design which is too crisp really get's on my nerves. The best example of this which springs to mind is in "Watchmen", good film and all, but there's a scene at the beginning where The Comedian is alone making a cup of coffee, there's a close up of him pouring in the water from the kettle and you can hear ever droplet perfectly.
A kind of related one, but the way every bottled liquid has to have an over-egged glugluglug as it's being poured annoys me for some reason. Particularly the stock 'alcoholic glug' effect.

holyzombiejesus

Overly stylised period detail. (I've just been to see Moonrise Kingdom.)

holyzombiejesus

When a film maker's directorial foibles become a bigger / more noticeable part of the film than any decent characterising or plotting. (I've just been to see Moonrise Kingdom.)

holyzombiejesus

'Kooky' or adorable children that like cool music and wear cool clothes and milk bottle bottom glasses. (I've just been to see Moonrise Kingdom.)

Ja'moke

Tom Cruise. Even his good films. I just can't do it. There is just something about his face that is off-putting.

Blumf

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 06, 2012, 05:36:30 PM
Tom Cruise. Even his good films. I just can't do it. There is just something about his face that is off-putting.

How about in Tropic Thunder?

Icehaven

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 06, 2012, 05:36:30 PM

You know if you hold a mirror at a right angle in the middle of your face, so it reflects the other side, so anyone looking at you from the reflected side would see a symmetrical but wrong looking face, bit like this

well that's what I've always thought Tom Cruise looks like he's doing.

Blumf

Quote from: icehaven on June 11, 2012, 07:42:33 PM
You know if you hold a mirror at a right angle in the middle of your face, so it reflects the other side, so anyone looking at you from the reflected side would see a symmetrical but wrong looking face, bit like this

well that's what I've always thought Tom Cruise looks like he's doing.