Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Benin City - Baby

Started by 23 Daves, April 30, 2012, 10:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

OK then chaps, I'm really interested to know what you think of this single.  Some personal bias here as I know the lead singer of this band, but I've never mentioned them on here before (to the best of my knowledge) and this is unexpectedly good I think.  I've never chatted to him about Bark Psychosis, but a lot of this sounds very, very "Hex"-influenced to me:

http://soundcloud.com/benin-city/baby

So many subtle shifts and changes going on here... it's just pleasing to hear a track with such incredible attention to detail which uses a wide range of influences without sounding like a cluttered mess. 

23 Daves

No replies... so I realise I'm tempting fate massively by doing this (or at the very least prodding the ribs of people who actually aren't remotely interested) but the album "Fires In The Park" is out this week and is bloody great.  There's a stream here: http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2013/06/album-stream-premiere-benin-city-fires-in-the-park/

As I gushed on Twitter, in terms of the diverse influences and ideas, this album sounds exactly like it came out of London in 2013 - from the echoing brass sections to the optimistic lyrics delivered via grimy urban circumstances, it's just a thrill to put on a record and not be quite sure what's coming around the corner next.  For something with such ambition and artschool fiddling in its grooves, its surprising how poppy some of it is as well (it starts off with three very immediate tracks, and these aren't necessarily wholly representative). 

It deserves to sell, but let's face it, it probably won't. 

doppelkorn

I quite like it. It's not my usual thing, musically but it's fine. The lead singer's voice gets right on my tits though.

It's so hyper rude bwoy with "stiw" instead of "still" and "de" instead of "the" plus those super fronted "L"s. It's just not an accent I like.

Thanks for sharing!