Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:11:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New talent in horror.

Started by astrozombie, May 04, 2012, 11:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini

The ending is brilliant, everything else built up to it

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dark Sky on May 04, 2012, 04:50:29 PM

(Oh, and boo to the OP's ridiculous "Paranormal Activity 8" and "Saw 17" comments.  There's four PA films and 7 Saw films, and only the last Saw film pretended to be the final one.)

I don't think he was being serious. If you're being pedantic, there have actually only been 3 Paranormal Activity films...

I really liked Mum & Dad and the director/ writer has a new film due out this year called Dead Mine. I can't tell if it's a horror or not.

Also liked a couple of Paul Andrew Williams' fims although he now seems to have branched out and started to make rom-coms and stuff with Jennifer Anniston.

astrozombie

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 08, 2012, 02:11:01 PM
Also liked a couple of Paul Andrew Williams' fims although he now seems to have branched out and started to make rom-coms and stuff with Jennifer Anniston.

I have to say despite being a massive fans of the games and completely understanding all flaws in the adaptation. I didn't mind his "Resident Evil", not too fond of the sequels though and also I didn't mind "Alien vs. Predator", I know it is completely riddled with inaccuracies and so on, but it was an entertaining enough film.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: astrozombie on May 08, 2012, 03:26:34 PM
I have to say despite being a massive fans of the games and completely understanding all flaws in the adaptation. I didn't mind his "Resident Evil", not too fond of the sequels though and also I didn't mind "Alien vs. Predator", I know it is completely riddled with inaccuracies and so on, but it was an entertaining enough film.

Erm... you're getting Paul Andrew Williams confused with Paul W.S. Anderson.

astrozombie

DEEERRRRP! Silly me, I thought he was an odd one to bring up in a new talent thread.

I looked up this guy and I have in fact seen his film "The Cottage" which I will say I thoroughly enjoyed, was great to see Reece Shearsmith in a film. I have also heard good things about "London to Brighton" and "Cherry Tree Lane", those ones worth a look at?

danyulx

Quote from: astrozombie on May 08, 2012, 04:33:15 PM
DEEERRRRP! Silly me, I thought he was an odd one to bring up in a new talent thread.

I looked up this guy and I have in fact seen his film "The Cottage" which I will say I thoroughly enjoyed, was great to see Reece Shearsmith in a film. I have also heard good things about "London to Brighton" and "Cherry Tree Lane", those ones worth a look at?

I quite agree with a lot of what you say, but 'The Cottage' was one of the worst films I've ever seen. Awful on every level.

I really liked 'London to Brighton' though. It's hard to believe it was the same director  behind both films. I haven't seen 'Cherry Tree Lane' yet; sounds a bit of a 'Funny Games' knock-off from what I've heard.

I haven't seen a good new horror film that impressed me in years. 'Martyrs' was probably the last one. 'Eden Lake' was quite good. I've a soft spot for the 'Human Centipede's as well.

'A Serbian Film' was awful. Probably the least shocking film I've seen. Just rubbish.

I've been meaning to check out Ti West's films for ages. And I will.

Noodle Lizard

A Serbian Film actually kind of grew on me.  I thought it was a pretty good idea to combine the extreme elements of films like August Underground and the like and put it in a "proper film", and I think it definitely has a self-awareness to it (despite the director trying to make out that it's a serious political statement in interviews).

danyulx

Glad you bring up the August Undergrounds. They're all horrid but 'Mordum' is probably the most horrific experience I've ever had sitting through a film... I needed a long bath after that one.The final scene in particular is dredged straight from hell. What a mess.

I think Fred Vogel could be classed a new talent in horror. He last one wasn't too great though.

I saw a film a week or so back called 'Scrapbook' which was fucking horrible. It was about some bloke who tortures and repeatably rapes some girl he's got hostage, for the whole film. It was really well made and acted.

lipsink

Urgh, August Underground. I lasted about 15 minutes into the first one before I had to switch it off. I may give it another go but I started getting the fear and kept thinking I just shouldn't be watching it.

danyulx

The first film is a walk in the park compared to the two sequels.

I don't think I'd recommend anyone watching those films. Absolutely nothing positive can gained from the experience.

Custard

Quote from: Junglist on May 04, 2012, 08:47:57 PM
Adam Mason is a name to watch. His films haven't hit normal, or critical acclaim yet, but The Devil's Chair, despite being boring for the first hour or so (I nearly switched it off), leads to a twist I found surprising and clever.

Broken is your typical gore fest, but done pretty well, and I truly adore Blood River, which comes at the genre in a different way. His masterpiece so far (Ignore the typically stupid imdb ratings).

His primary lead, Andrew Howard, always turns in a good performance. All of his films are low, low budget.

Blood River imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1137999/

Came in this thread to pretty much write the above! The only one I didn't get on with was Broken, which added nothing to the genre, and worse, actually bored me throughout

The other two are great, though. Highly recommend them also

As much as I like Triangle, it felt like somewhat of a rip-off of the Spanish film, Timecrimes, which was far better and more interesting. If you liked Triangle, you'll get well into Timecrimes too blud

danyulx

Am I the only one on the planet who doesn't rate Guillermo del Toro?

That 'Pan's Labyrinth' did absolutely nothing for me, and I saw it twice. Admittedly it's the only film of his I've seen though.

On the subject of Spanish horror movies, though made about twenty yaars ago thus not contemporary, In a Glass Cage is highly recommended, one of the most downright sinister, bleak and depressing horror films I've ever seen, which is saying something. It stars Slugworth from Willy Wonker as a paralysed, nazi peadophile. I've always been meaning to check out more of director's work, Agustí Villaronga, he's made loads of films since. He's got a new one out called 'Black Bread', which seems to have just won about two hundred obscure international film awards.

Custard

I'm no expert on yer del Toro, but his two Hellboy films are a good lark

Dark Sky

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 08, 2012, 02:11:01 PMI don't think he was being serious. If you're being pedantic, there have actually only been 3 Paranormal Activity films...

It's a lazy attack was my point, especially considering the quality of the franchises is pretty high compared to other horror franchises started in the 70's and 80's.  The Saw franchise has done much more good for the horror genre than bad.  (In my opinion, anyway!)

And there are four Paranormal Activity films; Paranormal Activity, Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night (Japanese sequel), Paranormal Activity 2 (US prequel), and Paranormal Activity 3.  Plus a fourth US film is in production.

Dark Sky

Quote from: danyulx on May 08, 2012, 09:18:56 PM
Am I the only one on the planet who doesn't rate Guillermo del Toro?

That 'Pan's Labyrinth' did absolutely nothing for me, and I saw it twice. Admittedly it's the only film of his I've seen though.

I do agree that Pan's Labyrinth is a bit of a damp squib, but I enjoyed his earlier The Devil's Backbone a lot more...it blends the historical setting and the horror fantasy a lot more evenly than Pan.  And as the Shameless Infected Custard Man attests, his two Hellboy films are brilliant!

danyulx

EDIT: Done.

astrozombie

Ahhh The Cottage weren't that bad, I enjoyed it, maybe it was just me or I was in a good mood at the time, this calls for a re-watch I suppose.

Quote from: danyulx on May 08, 2012, 05:48:16 PM
I've been meaning to check out Ti West's films for ages. And I will.

I only started on Mr. West a few months ago. First of his I saw was "Cabin Fever 2" and I loved it, I found it to be miles better than Eli Roth's first one. The sequel is just a great comedy/horror with a complete 80's vibe to it, it has the same feel like films such as, "Return of the Living Dead pt. 2" or "Slumber Party Massacre", it's neither a zombie film or a slasher but it just has that same re-watchable fun quality to it. Also Giuseppe Andrew's is fantastic in it.

So I'd highly recommend that one to you and "The House of the Devil" and "The Innkeepers" a few people in this thread said they disliked those but in my opinion they are flawless pieces of work.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: astrozombie on May 09, 2012, 08:17:39 PM
with a complete 80's vibe to it

So what? There were some great films in the 80's, but why is this git's insistence on making most of his films look 30 years old somehow seen as an inherently good thing? It's near-pointless gimmickry, and one of the things which made House of the Devil such a disappointment. I honestly expected it to have some kind of value as a filming technique, but I felt it added nothing at all but a shallow gloss for kids who were born in the 90s and think wearing leg warmers is in any way defensible.

astrozombie

Quote from: Dark Sky on May 09, 2012, 12:36:23 AM
It's a lazy attack was my point, especially considering the quality of the franchises is pretty high compared to other horror franchises started in the 70's and 80's.  The Saw franchise has done much more good for the horror genre than bad.  (In my opinion, anyway!)

I'm actually a fan of the first and third "Paranormal Activity" films and also a fan of all the Saw films. I was not attacking them but rather saying horror films that are bit non-mainstream, non-remake etc.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dark Sky on May 09, 2012, 12:36:23 AMThe Saw franchise has done much more good for the horror genre than bad.  (In my opinion, anyway!)

Really?  I mean, I think the first one is a good film and another "if I can do it, you can do it" type affair, but I can't see any positive influence the franchise itself has had on horror.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 09, 2012, 08:38:26 PM
Really?  I mean, I think the first one is a good film and another "if I can do it, you can do it" type affair, but I can't see any positive influence the franchise itself has had on horror.

Both (original) films are amazing examples of extremely low budget indie films with a strong auteur vision, are both arguably fairly original (or at the very least do something new with clichés) and both made an absolute mint at the box office and spawned massive money churning franchises.

The upshot?  Many movie studios are deliberately commissioning many new low budget original horror films, because who knows where the next massive franchise is going to come from.

That is bloody great for horror!

Quote from: astrozombie on May 09, 2012, 08:22:14 PM
I'm actually a fan of the first and third "Paranormal Activity" films and also a fan of all the Saw films. I was not attacking them but rather saying horror films that are bit non-mainstream, non-remake etc.

As I've kinda just said there, though, both Saw and Paranormal Activity started out as non-mainstream indie films.  The fact that they both took off so massively (eventually, in the case of PA, as it was sat on for years by the studio before they reluctantly released it) is amazing, really!

I am sorry to be a bit churlish, especially as you say you do like the franchises.

astrozombie

Quote from: Junglist on May 04, 2012, 08:47:57 PM
Adam Mason is a name to watch. His films haven't hit normal, or critical acclaim yet, but The Devil's Chair, despite being boring for the first hour or so (I nearly switched it off), leads to a twist I found surprising and clever.

Broken is your typical gore fest, but done pretty well, and I truly adore Blood River, which comes at the genre in a different way. His masterpiece so far (Ignore the typically stupid imdb ratings).

His primary lead, Andrew Howard, always turns in a good performance. All of his films are low, low budget.

Blood River imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1137999/

Hmm... I just looked this guy up on IMDB and I must say he seems very interesting. I am obtaining "Blood River" and "The Devil's Chair" as I type this, thanks for the recommendation.

Also I never take the IMDB ratings into account. All you need to do is read one or two of the forums to realize 99.9% of the users are all still in primary school.

The 0.1% is Gary Glitter.

astrozombie

Trivia

Stuck for ideas for his first music video, Antihero's "Stravinsky Gave Me Nightmares", a last minute pastiche of the Evil Dead series of films was cobbled together. A low budget and limited time gave it a feel of the original Evil Dead, and when a DVD box-set was being made the video was included as an extra.

In other news, just read that on the bio page for Adam Mason's IMDB. I remember watching that years and years ago and then watching him give interviews recanting how he was inspired by The Evil Dead films on the trilogy DVD boxset.

Glad he's doing well for himself now.

danyulx

Quote from: astrozombie on May 09, 2012, 08:17:39 PM
So I'd highly recommend that one to you and "The House of the Devil" and "The Innkeepers" a few people in this thread said they disliked those but in my opinion they are flawless pieces of work.

I've got 'The House of the Devil' here, I'll be giving it a watch soon. If I remember correctly Tom Noonan's in it, which is definite plus, a fine actor, who scares the shit out of me.

I'm no massive horror fan, but what's made me interested in checking out Ti West's films, from what I've read, is he's - apparantly - one of the only young new horror filmmakers who isn't "being ironic". If there's one thing I can't stand about horror films these days - and life in general - it's people "being ironic".

If you're going put any effort doing anything worthwhile in life - i.e. making a film - actually fucking mean it; don't start pissing about "being ironic", making so-called pop culture references every two minutes and so on. It makes me sick.

astrozombie

Quote from: danyulx on May 10, 2012, 02:38:02 AM
I've got 'The House of the Devil' here, I'll be giving it a watch soon. If I remember correctly Tom Noonan's in it, which is definite plus, a fine actor, who scares the shit out of me.

I'm no massive horror fan, but what's made me interested in checking out Ti West's films, from what I've read, is he's - apparantly - one of the only young new horror filmmakers who isn't "being ironic". If there's one thing I can't stand about horror films these days - and life in general - it's people "being ironic".

If you're going put any effort doing anything worthwhile in life - i.e. making a film - actually fucking mean it; don't start pissing about "being ironic", making so-called pop culture references every two minutes and so on. It makes me sick.

Well when I first chucked on "The House of the Devil", the opening credit sequence was very 80's with the use of music, font, way it was shot etc. I did grumble and thought, "Ah no, not another one of these grindhouse wannabe's" - However it's not like that what-so-ever and is completely the work of a fresh new auteur.

Tom Noonan is fantastic in it. Funnily enough I watched "Last Action Hero" last night (a film I believe to be an unsung classic (despite borrowing a little here and there from "The Purple Rose of Cairo") but that's for a different thread.) and have been reading about him online and watching youtube clips of him. What an underused actor.

danyulx

What's Victor Salva up to these days? Still in employment? Astonishing.

'Clownhouse' was one my favourite films as a kid, I loved it. I watched it again for the first time in about fifteen years a few months' back. The end title card quote just about summed it up... talk about rubbing it in. Cheeky bastard. Something like: "A depraved monster hides within us all. Behind the smiling mask."

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=23464

astrozombie

Quote from: danyulx on May 10, 2012, 03:10:04 AM
What's Victor Salva up to these days? Still in employment? Astonishing.

I had to do a google for this,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/callingtheshots/victor_salva.shtml

His answer to "What's your biggest regret in life?" is quite eerie.

Victor Salva, another member one of Hollywood's small bean regarders. I enjoyed "Jeeper's Creepers" the only other film I have seen by him is "Powder" and I'm sorry to any hardcore Salva fan's here but I fucking hated that film, so boring and straight-faced it depressed me. At the moment he's making a third Jeepers movie and with plans for a fourth one straight after.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dark Sky on May 09, 2012, 09:00:21 PMare both arguably fairly original (or at the very least do something new with clichés)

Se7en, really, isn't it?

QuoteThe upshot?  Many movie studios are deliberately commissioning many new low budget original horror films, because who knows where the next massive franchise is going to come from.

I don't know about this.  It's the same thing people said about The Blair Witch Project (which I think is a great film), but I don't see much evidence of it.  I'd actually argue that more of that was going on in the 70s and 80s.

What I do see is studio bods saying "Wow, these guys made a huge profit off a tiny budget, we could do the same thing!"  Hence you get films like Paranormal Activity, Hostel or any number of piss-weak BWP or SAW derivatives.

QuoteAs I've kinda just said there, though, both Saw and Paranormal Activity started out as non-mainstream indie films.  The fact that they both took off so massively (eventually, in the case of PA, as it was sat on for years by the studio before they reluctantly released it) is amazing, really!

I agree (well, in the case of Saw anyway), but that doesn't change the fact that it became bastardised pretty quickly.  And at least James Wan stepped out as quickly as he could - went on to make Insidious for a similarly small budget which did very well indeed (rubbish film though).

QuoteI am sorry to be a bit churlish, especially as you say you do like the franchises.

I don't like the franchises.  I thought the original Saw film was pretty good for what was essentially a student film gone mega.  And I never liked Paranormal Activity.  In fact, I actively dislike it.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 10, 2012, 04:27:38 AM
And I never liked Paranormal Activity.  In fact, I actively dislike it.

Why?

Jemble Fred

Because it's almost entirely boring, except for the 'scary' bits, which are hilariously daft. It's like someone half-watched Ghostwatch, and then missed the point entirely when they ripped it off.