Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 749
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hitman V: Absolution

Started by Noodle Lizard, May 05, 2012, 02:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

As someone who loved Blood Money, I'm preparing myself for this to be really shit.

Why fight it?

glitch

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 05, 2012, 09:31:31 PM
I love A New Life (the gangster in the suburbs). There are so many ways of doing that one. A good one was to camp up in the treehouse and snipe as many people as possible, then go and mop up the rest (including the dog). There again, you could pull it off really neatly by distracting the target's personal guard, dashing in, slitting his throat, then stuffing him in the cupboard. Then you just stroll off and nobody realises anything has gone wrong.

Dosing the daughter's panties and knocking out a crotch-sniffing guard was fun, as was systematically killing everyone and putting them in the garbage truck.

Jerzy Bondov

The only thing I dislike about that level is the woman who raises the alarm if she sees you trying to get into the vet's. Straight in the rubbish truck with her.

eluc55

Another great level from Blood Money is the redneck wedding. There are so many ways to complete that level, but a favourite was this: there's a priest who walks around talking to members of the wedding party. If you follow him when he slips out you can catch him opening up his bible to reveal a bottle of booze. Drug him but don't kill him, and while he's out cold, place a bomb inside the hollow bible. Then wait for a patrolling guard to wake him up and the groggy priest will pick the bible up none the wiser. You now have your own walking bomb!

Of course, it's tempting to blow him up in midst of the busy party, but my preference is waiting for the wedding itself to start and as the priest pulls out his bible to begin the service, blow him and your target sky high in front of everyone... Then swagger off, back to you boat, pleased as punch.

This game makes nutters of us all.

PS. [nb]If you don't want to kill the bride you'll need to drug her too, so she never turns up.[/nb]

Jerzy Bondov

You can disguise yourself as the priest and conduct the ceremony yourself. Apparently you can then shoot the groom while the wedding party fires their guns into the air, and the bride asks what took you so long. Except I never managed to get that last part to work.
The best part of that level is pushing people into the water and watching the gators get them.

I have a soft spot for the rehab clinic level, because it's got three targets and they all have fun solutions. If you wait behind the guy who lifts weights, you can drop them on him as he finishes and choke him to death! Fantastic!!

Noodle Lizard

Gah, I really want to play through Blood Money again now.

It's up for download on Xbox 360 for £12 or so (fine by me), but when I downloaded the trial it refuses to play, citing some PAL problem with my TV which seems impossible to rectify.  I assume the full game would have the same problem.  Incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: Nevermind fixed it.  FUCK YES.

eluc55

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 09, 2012, 09:46:03 PM
You can disguise yourself as the priest and conduct the ceremony yourself. Apparently you can then shoot the groom while the wedding party fires their guns into the air, and the bride asks what took you so long. Except I never managed to get that last part to work.

I knew you could dress as the priest, but I never realised you could carry out the ceremony yourself. I've just tried it, and it does indeed work! The key is using a silenced pistol to shoot the groom, since if you use an unsilenced gun everyone hears you and turns back. So that's yet another way to achieve that kill which I never even realised, despite experimenting on that level god knows how many times.

Other favourite methods on that level: poisoning the wedding cake, placing a bomb in a bucket of chicken and placing it by the wedding party, placing a bomb in a wedding gift box, sniping the groom from the loft when they all head towards the ceremony, dropping a chandelier on him when he sits down to play the piano, or dressing as a body guard and garotting him when he leaves the party... and that's just one of the two targets on that level! Favourite methods for killing the old man are either sniping him from the roof so he falls in his wife's open grave, casually walking past all 5 of of his security guards dressed as a priest then blowing his brains over the TV as he sits watching it, or sneaking up on him dressed as a body guard, then whacking him over the head with a shovel and feeding him to his own crocodiles.

It really is a brilliant, brilliant game.

Zetetic

Blood Money is only £6 on Steam (and I suspect cheaper on other PC download services).

I think that eluc55 was slightly off when he was talking of games being 'scripted'. Generally it might be a decent short hand for linearity and lack of agency, but in the Hitman series it seems slightly confusing to my mind. The beauty of the Hitman games, at their best, is that they're scripted very well and that there are a number of possible scripts plotted for any level[nb]One of them always being the FUCKING HELL LADS option.[/nb]; they offer enough choice, and try their damnedest to make the process of picking one path or another feel natural.

Zetetic

Oh, and yes, not caring too much if not everyone sees everything. That's a wider problem, obviously economically driven as much as anything.

Noodle Lizard

Just started playing through Blood Money again for the first time in years.

I've only finished the Opera House mission (so two "real" missions), but I've not been doing so well.  On each one, I've ended up killing one more person than I'm meant to (the guard next to the bomb in the vineyard one and a security guard got in the way of the chandelier crashing in the Opera House one).  Next up is the rehab mission - I don't think I've ever got Silent Assassin on this one and I seem to remember it being a bit of a pain in the arse.  I love it.

UPDATE:  Did it in one go, Silent Assassin.  I guess time has changed my brain function.

Jerzy Bondov

I've got the rehab mission down to a bit of an art. The only bit that sometimes catches me out is when you go to speak to the other agent - you have to be quite careful not to get seen injecting him. The best way in I've found is to head over to the left of the building, pick the lock on the door that goes into the corridor from the main building to the high-security bit, go through the door straight ahead of you, and out into the little courtyard round the back. There's a fuse box you can break there to lure a guard out. Knock him out and take his clothes and you're set.

turnstyle

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 09, 2012, 10:10:45 PM
Gah, I really want to play through Blood Money again now.

It's up for download on Xbox 360 for £12 or so (fine by me), but when I downloaded the trial it refuses to play, citing some PAL problem with my TV which seems impossible to rectify.  I assume the full game would have the same problem.  Incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: Nevermind fixed it.  FUCK YES.

How did you fix it? I have the same issue when I try and play the disc. It works over scart, but HDMI will not have it at all.

madhair60

This game seems like it's probably really fun, but since I'll never get past the vineyard I guess I'll never know :(

glitch

What problems are you having with the Vineyard?

Remeber - you can always go back and get Silent Assassin afterwards ;)

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: turnstyle on May 10, 2012, 08:41:46 AM
How did you fix it? I have the same issue when I try and play the disc. It works over scart, but HDMI will not have it at all.
Found this on The Internet:
- Plug your default Xbox 360 cable on your Xbox 360
- On this cable, switch from HD-TV to TV
- Switch your Xbox 360 on
- Go to My Xbox > System settings > Console settings > Display > PAL settings
- Select PAL-60
- On the cable, switch from TV to HD-TV
- Switch off your Xbox 360
- Plug your HDMI cable if you use one;
- Switch on your Xbox 360
- Launch Hitman Blood Money

I think that's what I had to do.

The vineyard is fairly tricky considering it's the first mission. I struggle to get out of there with my suit and you need to be very quick if you want to nab the man in the wine cellar without hurting anybody else or leaving his body in the open.

eluc55

Quote from: glitch on May 10, 2012, 12:23:06 PM
What problems are you having with the Vineyard?

Remeber - you can always go back and get Silent Assassin afterwards ;)

Yes, I don't understand that either. You don't need to get a perfect run on your first attempt. Aim for a stealthy run with only a few sneaky kills, sure, but don't worry about every mistake early on. Just keep an eye out for spare uniforms, items, places to stash bodies, patterns of behaviour, and come back later to experiment when you know the layout of the level more.

Also bear in mind that every level has at least one uniform that can get you anywhere, without drawing any attention. That's the one you want to get hold of as soon as possible.

Ferro Carril

I've never even considered playing any of these games but this sounds fantastic. Thanks.

buntyman

Me neither, they completely passed me by when they came out. All the wanking on about them in this thread has made me curious though so I think i'll download the demo on the xbox tonight and see what i think. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a copy at most cash converters shops for about a quid.

madhair60

Quote from: eluc55 on May 10, 2012, 12:47:18 PM
Yes, I don't understand that either. You don't need to get a perfect run on your first attempt. Aim for a stealthy run with only a few sneaky kills, sure, but don't worry about every mistake early on. Just keep an eye out for spare uniforms, items, places to stash bodies, patterns of behaviour, and come back later to experiment when you know the layout of the level more.

Also bear in mind that every level has at least one uniform that can get you anywhere, without drawing any attention. That's the one you want to get hold of as soon as possible.

Last time I tried I couldn't even find one of the targets. ._.

eluc55

Quote from: madhair60 on May 10, 2012, 01:44:36 PM
Last time I tried I couldn't even find one of the targets. ._.

They appear on the map as a different colour from everyone else!

Play it on medium first time through!

I seriously loves you madhair, but you crazy boi...

madhair60

eluc55

haha, yes! A simple, but very comprehensive one. I can't remember how it varies between difficuties as I know the levels so well these days I never use it, but I think on the easiest and medium difficulty level it identifies all enemies, targets and several points of interest where you should explore.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: turnstyle on May 10, 2012, 08:41:46 AM

What you want to do is run the console through a SCART lead and then go to Console Settings and the option to change from PAL-50 to PAL-60 will be there.  Do that, then run it through an HDMI again and it'll all be fine forever!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 10, 2012, 08:28:27 AM
I've got the rehab mission down to a bit of an art. The only bit that sometimes catches me out is when you go to speak to the other agent - you have to be quite careful not to get seen injecting him. The best way in I've found is to head over to the left of the building, pick the lock on the door that goes into the corridor from the main building to the high-security bit, go through the door straight ahead of you, and out into the little courtyard round the back. There's a fuse box you can break there to lure a guard out. Knock him out and take his clothes and you're set.

Seems awfully complicated.  I just get one of the guards in the security office's clothes before heading in.  Nobody saw me injecting the fellow.

madhair60

Quote from: eluc55 on May 10, 2012, 03:07:03 PM
haha, yes! A simple, but very comprehensive one. I can't remember how it varies between difficuties as I know the levels so well these days I never use it, but I think on the easiest and medium difficulty level it identifies all enemies, targets and several points of interest where you should explore.

Reinstalling tonight.  Thanks.  I've been playing it wrong.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 10, 2012, 03:28:09 PM
Seems awfully complicated.  I just get one of the guards in the security office's clothes before heading in.  Nobody saw me injecting the fellow.
Well my way is more fun. I actually didn't realise you could get away with that - thought somebody else patrolled through there. Next you'll be telling me I don't need to put guns in the tourist's suitcase at the white house!

DJ Solid Snail

Surely the best accident kill is crushing the bird woman with a randomly hanging piano in the middle of the Mardi Gras in New Orleans. She's just asking for it really.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on May 10, 2012, 04:07:42 PM
Surely the best accident kill is crushing the bird woman with a randomly hanging piano in the middle of the Mardi Gras in New Orleans. She's just asking for it really.

I've never actually managed to do that.  I've always seen it there and known what it must be for, but I've never got round to figuring out how to get up there and then waiting.

I actually hate that level, far too much following and waiting for my liking.  And then there's always some irritating cop that somehow spies you throwing someone in a bin.

Puffin Chunks

Quote from: Ferro Carril on May 10, 2012, 12:59:47 PM
I've never even considered playing any of these games but this sounds fantastic. Thanks.

Me neither, always thought they were GTA knock-offs. So wrong. Well, I'm downloading Blood Money now and a weekend of botched hits awaits.

This had better be good, or I'll sneak round when you're all least expecting and drop a piano on your head... or something.

Famous Mortimer

If it makes you feel any better, I played it about 6 months ago and didn't like it at all.