Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:38:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minecraft (Xbox Edition)

Started by Big Jack McBastard, May 11, 2012, 10:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

I managed to avoid the thrall of this game all the time it's been available for PC, but I finally 'caved' and bought the Xbox version. Best and worst thing I've ever done. I've found I'm nearly at the end of my week off work and can't think of much I've done outside of playing Minecraft. On the plus side, I've got a sweet, cosy cabin with a massive castle complete with lava-moat and glass conservatory.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on May 17, 2012, 09:39:57 PM
How do I mine faster?

Find diamonds or make TNT with sand and Creeper gunpowder.

QuoteHow do I make a farm?

Get some dirt, plonk it where you will, get some seeds, can be found by bashing the green plants/weeds that grow on grass randomly on the map, make a hoe, equip it, hit the dirt with the left trigger it'll make grooves in the soil (the right just tries to mine the block) and then plant the seeds, helps to have have one next to the other in your inventory.

Mind walking over the hoed/planted blocks as it can fuck up your plants/'de-hoe' the block. I've found
making strips two blocks wide is best then picking up the resultant wheat and seeds is easier and avoids having to re-do a step now and then.

QuoteHow do I grow pigs and cows?

Not sure you can, they spawn anew every day but in different places I think which is why you'll see packs one day and not the next.

QuoteHow can I rechannel water?

A good tip for both lava and water flows is build a 3x3x2 block of cobblestone, (if you're looking to get obsidian build 2 not terribly far from each other with a 1 cube deep pit between them) and pour a bucket of your choice of fluid into a gap made in the central square. Mine out the bottom (or side(s) or all of it) and the fluid will flow, no matter where it is, up in the sky if you want and it'll run all the way to the ground, you can make some cool and dangerous[nb]'Dangerous' is for some reason, on the worldfilter in the game, can't put it on signs.[/nb] effects with them

QuoteWhat does the rain do?

Not sure it does much but sizzle in fires and encourage the cunts to come out cos it gets darker.

QuoteHow do I craft all these exotic items?

You just need the requisite ingredients in your inventory and the option to build will light up, some might need to be highlighted to be noticed though, you'll run into them eventually, though cookies might take a while cos you only find cocoa in dungeons/strongholds apparently.

I only just made a cake the other day, I was so proud, but I lost my buckets in the process, which makes me think it's a cake for rock hard bastards who eat iron bucket cakes.

QuoteWhere do I find 'string'? I want to make a bow.

Spiders drop it as loot.

QuoteWhat is the point of this game?

No idea, but it's like catnip for an obsessive. Tererria suffered from a limbo once you'd killed every big bad, done all the weird shit and were minted, this is a little different as you're more vulnerable no matter how geared up you are and it's likely to change in the future, NPCs, villages, a new dimension, potions, enchantments, hunger and so forth are already in the PC game.

Oh I'm totally playing this again within the hour.

Benevolent Despot

Thank you.

It would be nice if you didn't have to look up these things in wikis or ask people. Ah so Creepers give you gunpowder.. I did want to have some fun with dynamite.

"Dungeons and strongholds" - are these caverns full of bad bastards? I haven't come across any yet. I did push downwards with my mining and found a shit load of redstone and a couple of blocks of diamond.

So I can make electrical circuits with diodes and breakers and uh... I don't understand. Why would I want to do that? So I can open doors from afar? Hmm. What is point. I guess I could make a big railway to get around? I'll try that next.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on May 18, 2012, 06:01:15 PM
Ah so Creepers give you gunpowder

Yes but you have to kill them, or perhaps get them snagged on cactus traps outside your house, lava will burn the loot so I'm having a rethink on my moat.

Quote"Dungeons and strongholds" - are these caverns full of bad bastards? I haven't come across any yet.

Me either, but I'm not sure when they were implemented, though I've also yet to see snow in my world so exploring is not exactly my forte at the mo.

QuoteSo I can make electrical circuits with diodes and breakers and uh... I don't understand. Why would I want to do that? So I can open doors from afar? Hmm. What is point.

I suppose it could assist against malevolent multiplayer people, an obsidian panic room with a switch inside to lock the door and buttons for traps outside maybe.

QuoteI guess I could make a big railway to get around? I'll try that next.

This is my next task too, a big diagonal rollercoaster drop to the bedrock and back up I'm sure I'll learn the limits of powered rail there.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on May 18, 2012, 05:14:26 PM
I only just made a cake the other day, I was so proud, but I lost my buckets in the process, which makes me think it's a cake for rock hard bastards who eat iron bucket cakes.

That's an xbox specific bug apparently
(yes, I'm the sort of person who went to the wiki just to look at the bugs).

Found a cave system near the surface today - a lot easier work than the super deep mine I found before. Less drops and lava. No fancy loot but a reasonable amount of iron.

I'm in a tundra zone, so I have lots of snow, but haven't found any seeds yet. Would quite like to have a farm. Think I'll have to build some bases just so can explore further afield.

Big Jack McBastard

I'll be fucked if I can find a stronghold in my world, I've linked 8 of my bases like some kind of mole savant and ain't seen hide nor hair, I want cookies and a saddle goddamn it! There's still shitloads of underground to explore yet though, even with the 20somthingx20something box I'm cutting from bedrock to surface, not one natural cave yet at 40 odd blocks up, proper bastard to mine all that but with the proceeds I've gone mad and started building all sorts of unnecessary houses and a couple of bits of plain old world decoration, a striped flaming octahedron in the sky over the inland sea and a 64x64 block dome for which I'm leveling a beach to provide the glass. The first megalomaniacal babby steps to creating an architectural monstrosity I'm sure.

I like how it just drags you in sets you burrowing, building, scraping by and stashing what you can until you gather enough shit to realise you can make anything you like of your world(s) up until the point you've used 'everything', but even then you could make more with growing trees... you could fill every unoccupied block in the world with wood if you were so inclined.

I think I'll pop to another world before I get that bad though.

Neomod

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on May 17, 2012, 09:39:57 PM
How do I grow pigs and cows?

You can breed animals by fencing in two adults and waving wheat (right click) at each one. Hearts should appear and then a little un' will be born.

MojoJojo

Not in the xbox version. It's based off an ancient version before that had been introduced.

buntyman

I just bought the xbox version after all the Minecraft chat i've been reading and i'm already stuck and I'm not even past the tutorial yet! It's telling me to make some charcoal in the furnace by using wood as the ingredient and then adding fuel. What do I use as fuel for heaven's sake?

buntyman

I tried that. Do you have to press a button to get it going or does it just eventually do it automatically?

mook

if it's the same as the pc version you just place two pieces of it in the furnace and away it goes. it has to be wood though, not planks.

buntyman

Cheers, I'll try that tomorrow

AsparagusTrevor

I've finally managed to get enough obsidian together to make a portal and visit the Nether. So, what is the point in the Nether, except being blown up by fireballs and losing all my stuff? Are there any useful materials to be found that makes the high risk worthwhile? I've mined a bit of glowstone but that's about all I've managed.

Neomod

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 05, 2012, 11:59:58 PM
I've finally managed to get enough obsidian together to make a portal and visit the Nether. So, what is the point in the Nether, except being blown up by fireballs and losing all my stuff? Are there any useful materials to be found that makes the high risk worthwhile? I've mined a bit of glowstone but that's about all I've managed.

From the Minecraft Wiki as I too lost all my stuff when I first visited the Nether.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Survival_(Game_Mode)

The player builds a portal to The Nether with the newly acquired Obsidian.
The player appears in The Nether; a new world bereft of minerals which poses a new, scary threat to the players; Zombie Pigmen, Magma Cubes, Ghasts, and Blaze.
The player attacks the Blaze creatures, killing them and collecting their Blaze Rods from their defeat for use in potion brewing and to access the last challenge.
The Player navigates safely and successfully through The Nether and returns to The Overworld, where his or her job is to find Endermen and kill them to obtain their Ender Pearls.

KLG-7A

Except that blazes and the end challenge don't exist on the XBox version.

You can get some netherack, glowstone, soulsand, lava and abundant mushrooms, but that's about it.

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah, that's pretty much all I gained from my non-death visit. I might use the netherack build a burnin' ring of fire around my castle, like a twisted, sadistic moat.

KLG-7A

BeardFaceMan

So I'm starting to run a bit dry for ideas on this, anyone have any pics of their swanky creations or some ideas to give me some inspiration for stuff to waste my hard earned blocks on?