Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

DayZ

Started by Al Tha Funkee Homosapien, May 16, 2012, 07:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Had hybrid panda and daggerr streams up and saw them both shoot each other.

Superb.

Neomod

Drama at the downed chopper.

Puffin Chunks

I can't believe TPG and Ace got away with no one seeing them. No guns... but hey, they're surviving!

Neomod

Luckily a third party came along all guns blazing and got shot. They just stayed prone.

Oh, seems a lot happening just South of NW airfield. I've been watching rezt and the claw, as they are pretty close to each other, far West. Maybe I'll switch.

EDIT: they seem to be moving apart

Neomod

Tommy being flanked.

Puffin Chunks

Sadly I'm going to have to go to bed. I'll catch up on the highlights tomorrow.

I think I've seen enough to convince myself to build a decent rig and buy the standalone. Then we'll have to form a CaB squad and get our arses handed to us on a daily basis.

Currently watching http://www.twitch.tv/thinkingpcgamer and http://www.twitch.tv/thinkingpcgamer

I think they are close to each other and just killed each others partners. She is in a tractor though, so may get further away.

EDIT: Yeah, she's gone. Are they gonna give admin messages to push people in a smaller area now the numbers are thinning?

Neomod

Aggghh, TPG smoked waffle and then got killed by Retz.

Custard

Lirik just died of a broken leg :(

Neomod

Yeah, not with a bang but a whimper.

I have 4 popups open, and one is dead and has multiple streams open.

Looks like this: https://sites.google.com/site/stevelampkins/dayz.png

Feels like I'm at some CIA compound.

Neomod

Watched it to the end last night but where can I see the highlights of the stuff I missed?

Puffin Chunks

Not sure about highlights, but if you go to the various Twitch pages then click the video tab (underneath the video window) you should be able to view recordings of the streams.

The main stream is here:
http://www.twitch.tv/qngaming

You can get the name of the streamers for plugging into twitch from the multistream page.
http://spiralnine.com/sg/

I ended up staying up and watching it in bed. I thought it was pretty successful to be honest. There are areas for improvement (I would ditch sniper rifles altogether), but I think I'll definitely be watching the next one.

Most will probably end up uploading their runs to their youtube pages too.

Today I finally have a day off, so turned off my phone and relaxed by hopping back into the extremely stressful DayZ.

Me and my friend were hiking through the middle of the map with the aid of a compass and an alt-tab map. The one thing people don't praise DayZ for enough, and by proxy, Arma, is that it's a genuinely thrilling hiking simulator. And it's really satisfying being in a world that follows the same rules as real life in quite a lot of small ways, so that you are able to orientate yourself utilising analog maps. It's just so satisfying getting to understand all the Cyrillic and breaching the end of a mountain forest, and seeing that town you've been looking for ahead of you. And pointing at distant landmarks and such. I really need to pick up Miasmata for some more of that. I find it immensely satisfying and relaxing, but still compelling because of the tension and fear of bumping into another player. 

We only found one rifle between us. An old Mosin, and we both had binoculars. We went right up to the east of the North Western Airfield, kept going till we were approaching it from the North East, as most people come from the South, so we had the element of surprise. And with our binoculars, we started methodically getting eyes on everything.

Two dead corpses up on the top roof of the radio tower, and a sniper in the control room. Then his friend pops up. I get my rifle ready and creep through the bushes outside of the base, getting to the east of the place, with my friend with the binoculars spotting from the North East.

We were literally utilising working in tandem as a Spotter and a Sniper in order to avoid getting shot and to kill the other guys, so we could get my friend a gun.

Lots of gunshots from them attacking people trying to loot the place. Some guy runs up towards the south barracks and gets shot down, pretty much a fresh spawn. Then they both start running about and leave. So I creep further down so I have a view directly into the Southern Barracks's open door. And I tell my friend to run in, and I'll cover him.

So he does, and he goes upstairs, out of my sights as he starts to try and find a gun.

AND THEN FROM THE SOUTH, THE TWO GUN WIELDING GUYS START RUNNING BACK UP TO THE BARRACKS, only like 200 hundred metres away.

And it's literally like every thriller movie where they go into the Murderer's house to find evidence or whatever, and someone's watching outside, and then as soon as they go in, the murderer returns.

So I'm shouting at my friend, HIDE! HIDE!

Then they start to go past the building, and I'm like, "YOU'VE GOT TO RUN NOW, JUST GET OUT OF THERE. THEY'RE NOT LOOKING IN YOUR DIRECTION!".

And he starts to run out, and I see him, and they suddenly turn around and start heading back for the barracks, still unaware of my friend.

I yell at him to hide upstairs, and the first murderer runs in with his gun by his side.
And I have him in my sights and fire.

Burst of blood, and he falls down. He's dead. So I'm yelling at my friend to quickly grab his gun whilst his friends still in shock, because he won't be stupid enough to run directly into the firing line of some unseen sniper.

So my friend runs down and there's no body there. And he's telling me there's no body, but I'm telling him, I saw the blood, he definitely collapsed.

Then a gunshot as my friends killed by this half dead fella in the building with him, bleeding heavily.

I've still got a defibrillator with a battery in my backpack, so I can save my friend, if I can just finish off these two pissed off gunmen.

And I start crawling through the undergrowth, waiting patiently, as these guys try to flank around and find me. I shot and missed a few times, but I don't have a scope at the minute so accuracy from that distance it pretty hard. Sporadic gunfire just kept coming as they tried to bait me out, as they literally had no idea where I was, as I could have been at a complete 180 degrees chunk of the East surrounding the airfield.

Eventually, they must have thought I had gone, but I was still waiting to save my friend. And some new cowboy came to the party from the south, and they tried to ambush him, except, when one tried to hide behind a corner of the building ready to shoot the guy in the back, *I* deployed my bipod on the rifle and shot him from such a huge distance. And I got up and sprinted away, and his friend started chasing after me, a full km behind me. I kept hearing gunfire spraying through the forest behind me but he had no idea where I went.

It was thrilling.

B+

EDIT: Bugger. Supposed to put this in the standalone one, but whatever. Too late now.

what about your friend?

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 17, 2014, 06:42:43 AM
what about your friend?

It was just him looking at a black screen for 8 minutes, so he just wanted to respawn instead of waiting around and not playing. So I scarpered.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bored of Canada on May 17, 2014, 06:21:58 AM
I really need to pick up Miasmata for some more of that
This sounds lovely, and I ought to give it a go. Maybe when one of the hundred other games on my to-play pile gets completed.

Jamie Oliver is fat

I finally broke and bought this this week.

I understand it's alpha status and all that, but this thing is as broken as Dayz was over a year ago.

The people who stuck with the mod have now been rewarded as it's a far more rich and stable experience.

Zombies clipping through walls FFS?

So I've gone back to the mod for now to get a better experience with more plentiful weapons, vehicles, base building etc, but I saw enough to keep me interested.

I think Rocket needs to be careful because people are going to get bored of a grind simulator very quickly with so much competition now circling his baby.

The announcement of H1Z1 last month could be the killer if he doesn't make this game actually FUN, while keeping a balance of grind/realism;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMc_6bk3LoE

If you're interested in a far more rewarding Dayz experience, the mod you're looking for is Epoch

The zombies clipping is the only major issue for me. I'd also quite like the vehicles, but other than that, that's all I really want to be honest. I've got almost 70 hours in the game, and it's been an unbelievable experience. Base Building and all that doesn't really interest me. A few vehicles would be good, but other than that, the imagination of the people and interactions is what make this game. All the necessary systems are in place to allow the storytelling and insane standoffs and gunfights.

Jamie Oliver is fat

if you never played the mod then you might not be prepared for how vanilla dayz gets old over time

i think by the time Rocket finishes fucking around with it, other studios will have taken the genre and done a better job of it

you can only spend so many lifetimes looting for jeans and toothpicks

Hangthebuggers

Wall clipping and path finding errors have been identified and will be fixed 'very soon'

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/85919354781/the-challenge-and-saga-of-zombie-pathfinding

Fishing and hunting coming soon too.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on May 17, 2014, 03:52:04 PM
Wall clipping and path finding errors have been identified and will be fixed 'very soon'

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/85919354781/the-challenge-and-saga-of-zombie-pathfinding

Fishing and hunting coming soon too.

how about shooting cunts in the fucking face with high powered automatic weapons and stealing their helicopters? is that coming before or after sitting on a river bank for an hour?

Met up with some friends and looted the shipwreck. Then I decided the best way to be inconspicuous was to light like 12 fucking fires on the ship, which could be seen for miles, along with fires leading to it from the road from Berezino.

Was trying to get people to come in for a party.

http://imgur.com/a/BcWz2