Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:27:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Portal 2: Perpetual Testing Initiative

Started by Solid Jim, May 19, 2012, 07:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solid Jim

Has anybody else been using the new Portal 2 level editor to make mediocre, gimmick-laden test chambers? Has anybody else then been finding that their maps are put on a list of 10,000 maps made by other people, and played by no-one? If so, why not post your map or maps here, and I will play them?

The editor itself is very easy to use, although depending on the size of the map it can take quite a long time to build every time you need to playtest it. Also, I have discovered that it is easier to come up with a general 'concept' for a test chamber than to actually go ahead and design it, in such a way that it makes sense and the puzzle can't be solved at first glance/skipped entirely.

Anyway, to stop dancing around the point: if you have Portal 2, you'd have my undying gratitude were you to play some of my maps and justify the time I have wasted in building them. http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidjim/myworkshopfiles/

Solid Jim

Just me, then? I've made a bunch of maps now. Here is my most successful one: Dual Bridge Deactivation. It is only a small room, so potentially not too boring.

I realise it's a bit self-serving to bump this thread when it never exactly took off in the first place, but, um... I'm doing it for the benefit of anyone who bought Portal 2 in the sale. Yes, that's it.

chocky909

I WILL PLAY YOUR MAPS!

How do I do that? I have the game on PC and PS3.

Solid Jim

Quote from: chocky909 on July 15, 2012, 11:06:09 PM
I WILL PLAY YOUR MAPS!

How do I do that? I have the game on PC and PS3.

I suppose it would have helped if I'd explained this - perhaps it's where I went wrong? On the web page for each map, there is a 'Subscribe' button to the bottom-right of the preview image. You will need to be logged into the Steam web site to click it. Either that or you can find the levels through the Steam browser, but I'm not sure of the easiest way to do that.

Next time you launch the game, the subscribed levels should be available in your queue under the 'Community test chambers' option in the main menu. That's on the PC; as far as I'm aware nothing has been implemented on the PS3 yet.

bitesize

Oops, I did play the ones you'd done when originally posted as well, I just forgot to reply... they were really good too! Rated them all with a solid thumbs up, very impressed.

Will check out any more you've done when I next boot up Portal2. I do so love Portal2.

Gavin M

If you have Portal 2 it's worth downloading some user chambers just to hear 26 minutes of new Cave Johnson dialogue alone.

mook

is this just for PC? or are there any plans to make it available for the consoles?