Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:51:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

collaborate on a little game?

Started by RickyGerbail, May 27, 2012, 04:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyGerbail

I can program it, i was just wondering if anyone wanted to collab on the graphics. it would be 2d and the graphics would be pixel stuff, like 16 bit SNES maybe. collab might be to strong a word actually, just any graphics. i can do it myself shittily but it's more fun if a lot of ppl contribute with their wit and fun. The gameplay will be like the early zelda games with maybe a randomized forest or something to walk around in and kill some critters. I can put up an example with the fundamentals in place and some placeholder art if anyone doesn't believe in my skillz.

KLG-7A

Quote from: RickyGerbail on May 27, 2012, 04:04:14 PM
I can put up an example with the fundamentals in place and some placeholder art if anyone doesn't believe in my skillz.
Yeah, you probably need to do that. Bear in mind that game programmers can just scan DeviantArt if they want a random person to make a game with.

Are you intending to make money with the game?

RickyGerbail

Quote from: KLG-7A on May 27, 2012, 04:07:33 PM

Are you intending to make money with the game?

just passing some time, and i might quit at any moment.

KLG-7A

Quote from: RickyGerbail on May 27, 2012, 04:09:50 PM
just passing some time, and i might quit at any moment.
That's the first time I've related to you.

RickyGerbail

i've got a bit with the game, i am currently learning from another forum how to upload the playeable flash game, either as a file that can be downloaded and play with some free flash program or directly on the internet. Right now you have a spaceman that you can walk around with on a green square and he can also go into a shoot stance if he's facing front.
some code

the pretty nice looking flamethrower animation, i'm going to add many more steps to that to make it flow like a real flame:

man in spacesuit who currently is the protagonist

in game:

RickyGerbail

redid the basic artwork and used chrono trigger pallette instead and changed the resolution to 800X600, this is more pleasing i think and another plus is that i can steal graphics assets directly from chrono trigger:

RickyGerbail

the story is that you're a man on the hunt of another man who's escaped to a newly colonized planet that's got some dangerous animals and other unpleasant things. health is limited so you'll benefit a lot from learning about the game and avoiding damage, it's important to be careful with resources. i thought the player could be able to use different technologies but the technology costs some kind of energy that's also limited. Like the flame cannon for example. Another technology could be a tracking device that makes it possible to see how different animals have moved around, showing tracks and leading the player to where they are but also making it possible to avoid getting attacked by too dangerous oponents by recognizing how they look. One thing the player must do is get enough energy to have the tracker on for a long time so they can find a safe route to places that are distant from the main base.

glitch

FlashDevelop and Flixel? Nice :)

Can't help out with graphics but can lend a hand for any of the programming stuff if you hit a brick wall or something.

RickyGerbail

Flixel and Flashdevelop seemed like a good option for me, i hope i can make the as big as i want it though, even if that means not having it available to play in a browser but rather with some sort of Flash app on the computer.

RickyGerbail

There's apparently a SWF file made, and i suppose that's the file Air executes? Is the SWF file the only file that needs to be sent to a person that wants to play the game or does the music and graphics come separately?

KLG-7A

You'd package it up as an AIR package with everything self-contained, unless you really want to load them from an external source.

If you don't care about being able to do less restricted things and just want a SWF wrapped in an executable, Adobe has some sort of packager for that.

glitch

Quote from: RickyGerbail on June 07, 2012, 01:14:45 PM
There's apparently a SWF file made, and i suppose that's the file Air executes? Is the SWF file the only file that needs to be sent to a person that wants to play the game or does the music and graphics come separately?

Well, SWFs have some magic applied to them and are then run in the AIR exectuable. You can also tell Flash to publish out to "projector" which is an exe for Windows and equivalent for Mac.

Personally I'd say keep as many assets as possible outside the FLA/SWF. It makes it a lot easier to update them later.

KLG-7A

But a nuisance if you ever want viral distribution.

Of course, you've abstracted the view so your code isn't littered with "load" calls and the assets could be replaced with embedded ones at any point... right :-)

RickyGerbail

i don't understand a word of what you just posted. load calls? abstracted view?

KLG-7A

RickyGerbail

graphics courtesy of chrono trigger and a lil so called gaussian blur. the wasp enemy should be something nicer, perhaps a cyber monster wasp.

Still Not George

Quote from: RickyGerbail on June 10, 2012, 08:17:46 PM
graphics courtesy of chrono trigger and a lil so called gaussian blur. the wasp enemy should be something nicer, perhaps a cyber monster wasp.

A cybo razor cut?

KLG-7A

glitch

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 08, 2012, 05:33:00 PM
But a nuisance if you ever want viral distribution.

I still don't understand why so many sites stick to completely out-of-date specifications.

Of course, you've abstracted the view so your code isn't littered with "load" calls and the assets could be replaced with embedded ones at any point... right :-)

This.

Quote from: Still Not George on June 10, 2012, 08:43:52 PM
A cybo razor cut?

A cyber razor cut? Yeeeah!

RickyGerbail

i can change all the graphics by just changing the content of the png files that i've embedded. if that's what you mean by "abstracting". such a lame word. just like "Inheritance".

KLG-7A

RickyGerbail

answer the question you little shit.

glitch

Quote from: RickyGerbail on June 11, 2012, 04:24:41 PM
i can change all the graphics by just changing the content of the png files that i've embedded.

Are you using the embed metatag or importing them in the IDE?

Quoteif that's what you mean by "abstracting".

Nope. Abstracting is where different parts of the code are separated into different layers/classes etc. So in this case it'd mean that an enemy entity shouldn't care where their assets come from, as that's not its job. So you separate out the embed code/IDE reference and push them in elsewhere in the game. This push could be written so that its part of a bulk load at the start, progressive load when needed, or a part of a library stored as an external SWF. All have their uses in different cases.

Toast

Quote from: RickyGerbail on June 07, 2012, 11:43:27 AM
Flixel and Flashdevelop seemed like a good option for me, i hope i can make the as big as i want it though, even if that means not having it available to play in a browser but rather with some sort of Flash app on the computer.

If you do decide to distribute it this way then Flapp might help:

QuoteFlapp is a tool that takes your Flapp enabled AS3 game and makes it a stand alone windows executable, ready for distribution on platforms such as Steam, Yawma and AppUp.

Flapp provides a small boost in performance for your flash games and with its associated AS3 library will also allow you to use up to four XInput devices, such as the XBox 360 controller, in your game.

Also, Flapp is free. Though if you make some money off it, think about donating to its continued development!

http://charcoalstyles.com/Flapp

RickyGerbail

Hi gang the game is going forward on the programming level. I decided to implement a movement scheme so the player can face in 8 directions instead of the zelda like 4 directions. If you press down arrow and right arrow you will face downard to the right and also shoot/attack in that direction, for example. I haven't played any game that works this way so maybe there's something inherently boring about it but i will try it and see how it plays. Current working title is "Arcturian Psycho".

RickyGerbail

Took a day of trying to figure out how to animate basic zelda sword attack  and then deciding that i can't get it to look good for some reason. Instead i've opted of having the dudes basic attack being a bolt that's sent out from a thing on his stomach. it's got the same collision characteristics as the zelda sword attack but i barely have to make an effort making animations for it. I think this is the way i'll proceed now, it just takes too much time doing animations.